Electric Vehicles etc

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

climberman

Likes Dirt
$92k for the first electric 2wd ute available in Australia. 330km range.

surely farmers will be a fair way down the purchasing list - large companies looking to meet their transition fleet commitments seem to me to be the most likely buyers?

Anyway, too cheap for a farm ute, needs to be a $140k plus 70-series.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yet another ICE maker taking the piss. $45k car with electric, $10k more, $45k ute with electric, $45k more. What the actual fuck?
2WD LDV are $35k and at 330km range, must be aimed or trying to appeal to a city eco tradie or as you say, fleet vehicles getting their green-on.

Its shit.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
2WD LDV are $35k and at 330km range, must be aimed or trying to appeal to a city eco tradie or as you say, fleet vehicles getting their green-on.

Its shit.
It really shouldn't be any more than $15k extra because that's about how much more battery (1/4 to 1/3 more) it has over the average EV which is $10k more than ICE equiv. It's also easier to shove a battery in a ute. Most exxy 2wd Hilux is $55k, so we can expect a battery one to be over 100.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

Its shit.
It's a cobbled together hack job to say that "we did it first". All the commentary I've seen on it from the local automotive media to date is less than stellar with the EV integration in particular being called out.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It really shouldn't be any more than $15k extra because that's about how much more battery (1/4 to 1/3 more) it has over the average EV which is $10k more than ICE equiv. It's also easier to shove a battery in a ute. Most exxy 2wd Hilux is $55k, so we can expect a battery one to be over 100.
Maybe they are fishing as the first one available.

A ute would need to be pretty special for that price, 300km range, 2WD and reduced range when loaded/towing isn't going to cut it with most people.

Maybe a mine site for underground. Could see through a $70k 4WD Hilux SR5 with 700-800km range adding a $20k EV premium maybe but not $35k Chi ute.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
It's a cobbled together hack job to say that "we did it first". All the commentary I've seen on it from the local automotive media to date is less than stellar with the EV integration in particular being called out.
This was every other EV on the market made by an ICE maker until very recently. They are all literally 10 years behind Tesla. People are too vain to buy a Cybertruck, but that's likely to be the most fit for purpose platform if comparing to a large ICE ute. Rivian is too expensive and might fail. Ford EV dedicated truck platform isn't coming until 2025. I am keen to drive an Atto to see how it compares to a Model 3.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
This was every other EV on the market made by an ICE maker until very recently. They are all literally 10 years behind Tesla. People are too vain to buy a Cybertruck, but that's likely to be the most fit for purpose platform if comparing to a large ICE ute. Rivian is too expensive and might fail. Ford EV dedicated truck platform isn't coming until 2025. I am keen to drive an Atto to see how it compares to a Model 3.
And yet the LDV EV ute is little more sophisticated in its "EViness" than a garage converted Mini circa 2002. Which, at the asking price, is just taking the piss.

We are still on the fence about an EV for M'ladys rural daily 85km round trip commute. Mainly because it'd never get a charge via our solar panels until the weekend...and that means a fairly expensive range requirement and a far bigger and heavier vehicle than we need. Not to mention the state of the road to our place. So we are spending a few grand on a gearbox and clutch for the 20 something year old Forester instead...

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
People are too vain to buy a Cybertruck
I know this thing is meant to be hitting production later this year, but I still don't see how they've sorted crash testing, pedestrian safety etc. etc. There's a reason cars aren't made in stainless steel (cus it's really difficult to fabricate and heavy af - and EVs do not need to be heavier. Good luck getting it repaired if you crash it too). Given Rivian and Ford can't make enough EV trucks to keep up with demand, I know what pony I'd bet on.

I will give them kudos for how they fundraised for it though, that US$100 refundable deposit netted Tesla over $2m here and over $220m in the US. That'd pay for a lot of R&D for it while it's still in the drawing board stage.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I know this thing is meant to be hitting production later this year, but I still don't see how they've sorted crash testing, pedestrian safety etc. etc. There's a reason cars aren't made in stainless steel (cus it's really difficult to fabricate and heavy af - and EVs do not need to be heavier. Good luck getting it repaired if you crash it too). Given Rivian and Ford can't make enough EV trucks to keep up with demand, I know what pony I'd bet on.
I can't see that crash testing being any difficult than any other vehicle, not sure about the pedestrian safety but I'm sure it's factored into the design.
Stainless steel is only more difficult to fabricate if you use the current process of stamping all the panels with complex compound curves like most cars are today. If you use straight bends and flat panels it's not all that difficult to work with. Tesla's own version of 301 stainless steel is not necessarily heavier than steel that is used in conventional body panels and we haven't seen, what the actual structure is made from either, it could be aluminium mega castings. The use this stainless steel on the Space X rockets where weight is a premium.
When it comes to repairing the panels, you'll find that no body shop actually repairs panels (as in panelbeating) on any modern car. They just install a new panel and match the paint.

Last edited: