Electric Vehicles etc

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Wait until you hear about their heated seat and steering wheel subscription model...
Cars might be more like iPhone with wheels as time moves on.

Subscription for features is something that no one apart from the car company and their ever hungry shareholders could love.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Wait until you hear about their heated seat and steering wheel subscription model...
I wonder if you can subscribe to that only over winter? It's an interesting way to do it, all your cars can do all the things and the only big hardware difference is the power train and battery.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Sion seems to be going a different direction. It's looking really impressive, and a fair way off here in Oz I bet. From the site:

1. DIY is back. You can change standard replacement parts by yourself, without needing much prior knowledge.
  2. By publishing a workshop handbook, we make it possible to establish an extensive network of independent mechanics.
  3. For any repairs involving high-voltage or body parts, we cooperate with a well-known European service provider.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I get it for software-type features like navigation etc, but to have seats with heating elements and shitloads of wiring installed for assembly-line efficiency that might never see use is just shithouse.
Ultimately a waste of materials. If you live in Qld it's useless. But if you buy it used in Vic from Qld you can activate it and don't need to find the one that had the feature added. Still, most ev's could remotely pre heat the cabin so it's a redundant feature to me. Are others aside from BMW doing this with these sort of features? At first I thought it was a pisstake.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I wonder if you can subscribe to that only over winter? It's an interesting way to do it, all your cars can do all the things and the only big hardware difference is the power train and battery.
I just find it funny someone is buying a $80k beemer and has to take out a $18/m payment plan/DLC on heated seats instead of forking out $500.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It’s just the software golden screwdriver model applied to cars.

Bound to happen.
Also would assume that the car has internet connectivity that I bet the owners would have to indirectly pay or software keys that expire if you don't take it back for a service at a dealership after some time or km interval.

I just get a strong feeling that the eCar gives a clean slate to do things new ways that they wanted do but found it hard to weasel into existing sales practices. Ongoing revenue generation is a big juicy carrot begging to be bitten so they might as well try it now.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Game over for everyone else? Very cheap used Model 3 SR's in a year or two? Or will they just put less batteries in making it lighter, cheaper and faster to produce?

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
model 3 is finally home. they had a massive warehouse with 50-60 cars there and trucks delivering all the time. Drive home took a little getting used to, the touch screen is an overload at first. so far quite happy with it. one thing i didnt like was the offset speedo going through school zones.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
model 3 is finally home. they had a massive warehouse with 50-60 cars there and trucks delivering all the time. Drive home took a little getting used to, the touch screen is an overload at first. so far quite happy with it. one thing i didnt like was the offset speedo going through school zones.
We are waiting to hear how it feels at WOT. Get that right foot heavier :)

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Game over for everyone else? Very cheap used Model 3 SR's in a year or two? Or will they just put less batteries in making it lighter, cheaper and faster to produce?

I'm not clicking on that clickbait looking thumbnail. Can you give us the gist, preferably in two sentences or less?