Electric Vehicles etc

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tesla Plaid delivery event today, will be streamed, lots of speculation about what new developments will be revealed, ain’t holding my breath for anything overly interesting though. Maybe we’ll see a Roadster fly for a few seconds? Or maybe Elon will drop his pants for the fans? Time will tell.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
More evidence that VW is serious.

I can't say I am convinced with the approach to cooling. Not saying tesla has nailed it, but the flow path seems to make it more likely a leak will develop over time. The winding density is a good step forward though, kind of highlights some deficiencies at tesla's end. They still can't compete on cost reduction with the auto folks it seems. Anyhow competition is good.

Old mate saying he doesn't like a threaded fastener though haha. lolwut!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I can't say I am convinced with the approach to cooling. Not saying tesla has nailed it, but the flow path seems to make it more likely a leak will develop over time. The winding density is a good step forward though, kind of highlights some deficiencies at tesla's end. They still can't compete on cost reduction with the auto folks it seems. Anyhow competition is good.

Yeah old Sandy is not a fan of a bolt that's for sure.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

I see where he is coming from - threaded fasteners slow down assembly and add weight and complexity. If you can design and build it so it goes together without them you win in costs and reliability.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I see where he is coming from - threaded fasteners slow down assembly and add weight and complexity. If you can design and build it so it goes together without them you win in costs and reliability.
Yeah i get it, but what you gain in cost reduction, usually it's at the expense of serviceability. In this application though probably not neccessary to use threaded rod. The issue with welding is heat distortion and the proposed radio welding he mentioned is probably too expensive.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yeah i get it, but what you gain in cost reduction, usually it's at the expense of serviceability. In this application though probably not neccessary to use threaded rod. The issue with welding is heat distortion and the proposed radio welding he mentioned is probably too expensive.
Yeah, I’ll defer to VW for that particular application. I imagine they thought about what works for them.

So long as they’re getting them to market and they’re reliable I don’t care if they use spit and glue!