Electric Vehicles etc

Haakon

Keeps on digging
You make it sound so easy. You work in public service, surely you know the nuanceswith this. No labor or liberal party is going to take that policy to an election haha.

Fuel excise isn't perfect, but it's the closest we got to carbon price lol :p
True, but same could be said of politics anywhere - not a phenomenon unique to Australia.

It’s true...

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Here's an idea;

A c/km road user charge for all vehicles, with tiered application based on kerb weight. Collected by the states, so more directly distributed to state road authorities.

AND

We keep charging fuel excise and reduce subsidies/offsets so it's really unappealing to keep driving your 2.5t V8 Patrol around city streets.

I call it my "GREAT BIG NEW TAX"

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Oh dear - looks like we can't all get an EV, we may need to rethink our current paradigms:

View attachment 374870

I'm sure we'll become sensible humans & decide to live more sensible lives.
No no no, you're not reading the propaganda right. EVs will save us all. Ignore the complete life cycle analysis, the resources required for batteries, the energy that goes into making one and disposing it, it's all about the emissions (or lack thereof).

(Yes I'm fully aware no one on here is claiming that replacing every ICE vehicle with an EV will make the ice caps come back but I get grumpy when I see EVs being touted as a panacea for literally everything elsewhere - and I see it far too often).

Actually I'm just grumpy because I want high speed rail. Trains are cool.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Great idea - but EVs are still a bit porky currently. Would smash SUVs flat though so I'm still ok with it.
That's why you need the fuel excise to stay. Blanket road user charge makes the Paul Murrays STFU, continued application of fuel excise punishes continued ICE use, but you can still have a Leaf for your daily and your Hilux in the driveway for the occasional weekender.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I don’t think I ever see anyone claiming they’re a panacea... Which is why I find it so annoyingly disingenuous when critics try to point out they’re not a panacea.

They’re better than nothing though, and are part of the broader effort. Nothing is a panacea for emissions, with the possible exception of a properly deadly pandemic.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I wish they were about 20% smaller though... They’re bloody nice, but bloody huge.
That's because you're a childless pleb.

Try fitting 2 adults + 2 kids, kids seat, bmxs, helmets, wetsuits, surfboards, footballs, games, luggage, a case of wine and a case of beer (just in case) a million toys, a trillion different pieces of discarded food and wrappers into this.

Once you've managed to do all of that, you can start asking yourself why you thought a holiday was a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That's because you're a childless pleb.

Try fitting 2 adults + 2 kids, kids seat, bmxs, helmets, wetsuits, surfboards, footballs, games, luggage, a case of wine and a case of beer (just in case) a million toys, a trillion different pieces of discarded food and wrappers into this.

Once you've managed to do all of that, you can start asking yourself why you thought a holiday was a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I didn’t say that small, just about 20%. A little more useable and chuckable.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Here's an idea;

A c/km road user charge for all vehicles, with tiered application based on kerb weight. Collected by the states, so more directly distributed to state road authorities.

AND

We keep charging fuel excise and reduce subsidies/offsets so it's really unappealing to keep driving your 2.5t V8 Patrol around city streets.

I call it my "GREAT BIG NEW TAX"

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The Japanese manufactures need a kick in the arse and make their SUVs, utes and commercial vehicles electric, instead of tiptoeing around the subject with plugin highbreds and the like.
Japanese makers are being held back on BEVs because of the Japanese domestic policy focused on Hydrogen as their means of energy security whilst decarbonising - importing renewable energy in ships essentially as theyre renewable energy resource poor. Same situation in Korea.

This I think is changing - the automakers know that to play in international markets better they need to catch up on BEV, and with the plans to put in massive amounts of off shore wind capacity both countries are not looking as renewable energy poor as once thought.