Electric Vehicles etc

Calvin27

Eats Squid
EV policy and $3k grants to match.

This is after they introduced and Ev tax lols. (ok I get why, but it's still funny!)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
EV policy and $3k grants to match.

This is after they introduced and Ev tax lols. (ok I get why, but it's still funny!)
Hope they don't expect opposition to the EV road use tax to be solved by this!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Hope they don't expect opposition to the EV road use tax to be solved by this!
I get it. They want to money grab from the feds by moving from fuel excise (feds collect that) to vehicle registratino charges (state revenue). But I get in the long term they have to do this now before EVs take off. Personally I would have welcomed a fairer cents/km /kg charge across all vehicles universally but there are two problems. First they don't like administering new things and second, it hits labor supporters more than the liberal ones.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
No, they really really dont. Thats the whole problem with this....
What and further subsidise private cars and building roads for them once the fuel excise dries up? I mean it's not like the commonwealth is going to reform anything fossil fuel related....

Haakon

Keeps on digging
What and further subsidise private cars and building roads for them once the fuel excise dries up? I mean it's not like the commonwealth is going to reform anything fossil fuel related....
Youre missing the point - there is a crossover point where subsidies are wound back. We are a long way from that point.

For example, not that EVs are 75% of new car sales in Norway, many perks such as no tolls and free parking etc are being removed. Australia's new car sales are not 75% EVs...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
By 2030, half of all light vehicle sales in Victoria will be Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEVs). Our Roadmap delivers the long-term vision to roll out this key driver of our clean energy future.
Wait wut how why? dafuk? Will they mandate that this happens - stand at dealerships with guns poised?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
  • setting a target of 50% of new light vehicle sales to be zero emissions by 2030
Oh now it's a target, not a fait accompli. Also means there's a target for half the cars still sold to be emitting CO2.

So confuxored.

Straya. Land of the maybe.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It's giving me a good (ironic) chuckle how these "roadmap" dates keep getting nearer as more political pressure is applied from the public, but there's never any mention of how.

#jobsngrowf #hopesanddreamz

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Oh now it's a target, not a fait accompli. Also means there's a target for half the cars still sold to be emitting CO2.

So confuxored.

Straya. Land of the maybe.
ie: Governments are now accepting lobbyist money from both the dinojuice industry, and the "renewables"* industry.

*Fuck I hate that name, should be "low emissions" or something - not fucking "renewables". They don't defy physics FFS. Solar panels, wind turbines and LED lights don't grow on trees. They're a better alternative, but there's still extraction, manufacturing, and end-of-life material waste. Anyway, that's a rant for another thread. :oops:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Youre missing the point - there is a crossover point where subsidies are wound back. We are a long way from that point.
I'm not sure you are following what I am saying. I am talking about cross subsidising rather than outright subsidies. When you get to 50% EV, then it's going to be bloody hard to enact that policy. That's just modern politics.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I'm not sure you are following what I am saying. I am talking about cross subsidising rather than outright subsidies. When you get to 50% EV, then it's going to be bloody hard to enact that policy. That's just modern politics.
No, I dont think so. For a start no other jurisdiction in the world has contemplated this and most are well ahead of us - what do we know that they all don’t...?

Second, by the time we hit 50% EVs are normal. You drop fuel excise and apply kms tax to ALL vehicles.
Or they admit fuel excise isn’t about funding roads and taxes/funding is a whole lot more complicated than that boring conservative anti EV nonsense.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

Calvin27

Eats Squid
No, I dont think so. For a start no other jurisdiction in the world has contemplated this and most are well ahead of us - what do we know that they all don’t...?

Second, by the time we hit 50% EVs are normal. You drop fuel excise and apply kms tax to ALL vehicles.
You make it sound so easy. You work in public service, surely you know the nuanceswith this. No labor or liberal party is going to take that policy to an election haha.

Or they admit fuel excise isn’t about funding roads and taxes/funding is a whole lot more complicated than that boring conservative anti EV nonsense.
Fuel excise isn't perfect, but it's the closest we got to carbon price lol :p