Electric Vehicles etc

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Japan also. It is an expanding field though. There is a pilot plant at Loy Yang for instance.
Ah yes, Loy Yang is a little different as its Lignite and has required some R&D. Its still just a demonstration project at best...

But it relies on CCS to be a thing which frankly is just nonsense and greenwashing... Good deal for Japan though, the horrendous emissions from making hydrogen from lignite go on our accounts when CCS fails.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
But gas comes out of the ground (for current synthetic fuels) and therefore is locked away CO2 no? And lots of energy is used to make it from either gas or H2. They don't already have these magic carbon catchers at scale to make these fuels do they? This is all pretty experimental, including the first raw ingredient, Green H2 is still ridiculously expensive vapour ware.
As Haakon stated, it's creating hydrogen from the atmosphere not from gas in the ground.

I'm calling bullshit, this won't be fuel you can just buy because you have nostalgia for an old car, it will be used where electricity just can't be used (hardly anywhere) and I don't think it will be a transition fuel for stuff that can already be done with BEV, that seems like a waste of money making all the infrastructure for a temporay fuel.
For aviation, ships and heavy vehicles BEV is not viable with current technology. The energy density just doesn't come close to fossil fuels.
There may be some battery or energy storage breakthrough over the horizon but for the meantime, getting out of oil is the best option for transportation that can't go battery.
For passenger cars, yes it makes sense to go battery.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
No, think about it. CO2 out of the atmosphere, CO2 back in. It’s carbon neutral.

It doesn’t address air quality issues, but it does address the GHG ones.

Carbon Monoxide is not a GHG.
I agree, CO² in then CO out (I didn't forget the ²) but fill in the hole in my knowledge, it's why I started the thread.

Now, high school chemistry was a long time ago, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't paying very much attention, but a quick Hambo told me CH4 is one of the worst GHG.

And I know Nitrous Oxide makes people happy when pumped into engines, but what is it doing when it's being pumped out? I have a memory of it not being a good thing?

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I agree, CO² in then CO out (I didn't forget the ²) but fill in the hole in my knowledge, it's why I started the thread.

Now, high school chemistry was a long time ago, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't paying very much attention, but a quick Hambo told me CH4 is one of the worst GHG.

And I know Nitrous Oxide makes people happy when pumped into engines, but what is it doing when it's being pumped out? I have a memory of it not being a good thing?
I think your confusing nitric oxide, nitrous oxide and nitrogen dioxide.

Haakon

Any combustion that is done using atmospheric air that is 79% N2 will produce assorted species of oxides of nitrogen - NOx. N2O is one of the species and is a powerful GHG.

Catalytic converters also produce N2O when they oxidise unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust from incomplete combustion of fuel. Those unburnt hydrocarbons can include CH4.

The relative amounts of the three main GHGs produces in ICE (CO2, CH4 and N2O) are such that CO2 is by far and away the main game. In 2020, road transport produced 78.8 Million tonnes of CO2. In CO2-e, it produced 0.2 Mt of CH4 and 0.8 Mt of N2O.

It also produced 0.6 Mt of CO, but its not a GHG and not really relevant unless you're running your car in an enclosed garage with a bottle of vodka and some sleeping pills...

Haakon

Other species of NOx are controlled because they form acid rain and contribute to smog and are respiratory irritants. Its a common and ongoing problem that people confuse and conflate air quality emissions (NOx, HC, particulates) and GHG emissions (CO2, CH4, N2O). Its important to know which is which and why/how theyre respectively managed.

And noting that its a bit of a balancing act as emission controls designed to deal with air quality emissions can increase GHG emissions - such as catalytic converters on petrol that produce N2O and Urea injection systems for Selective Catalytic Reduction systems on diesels that produces CO2.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
So as the planet dies, we'll be laughing...literally. Kind of genius of the NWO really
You could take that quote and your theory, join some cooker groups and get people to follow you around the country in their cooker vans to stop the Nos mind control! They're putting it in the chem trails!