Electric Vehicles etc

Haakon

Keeps on digging
My wife and I have shared a single car for the last 12 years, but next year we'll need a second car because of reasons. I had my wallet ready to order a Model Y, but they appear to have been delayed again. Now I'm not sure if I buy a cheap internal combustion car while I wait for the Model Y, or pick up another electric alternative?

What should I be looking at that is similar to a Model Y?
Depends on what you want out of the second car. If you want to make your current car the second one now, the you’d need to spend Tesla money on one of the others. Given they’re mostly Tesla money that’s not ideal…

But if you can wait until a Tesla is available, and the current car is still good as the primary, I’d buy a stop gap.

Something mainstream, cheap and easy to resell.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Reasoning to get a Model Y over a Model 3?
I've always had station wagons like Subaru and currently have a small SUV. For weekends away with the family packing camping gear is much easier with a bigger boot. I've looked at the Model 3 and while the boot is surprisingly large, the ability to throw camping stuff and kids bikes in the boot is limited by the shape. This will become the primary car for trips away with a family of four and putting a travel cot and a pram in the Model 3 boot basically fills it.

This comparison shows it best:

Decreased range, poorer performance and handing, higher price. It’s got it all ;)
Whilst I take your point, 400km range gets you pretty much anywhere is Tasmania, 0-100 in 5.0 seconds is plenty fast for me, likely paying with pre-tax income through salary packaging will save heaps of money anyway.

goobags

Likes Dirt
I've always had station wagons like Subaru and currently have a small SUV. For weekends away with the family packing camping gear is much easier with a bigger boot. I've looked at the Model 3 and while the boot is surprisingly large, the ability to throw camping stuff and kids bikes in the boot is limited by the shape. This will become the primary car for trips away with a family of four and putting a travel cot and a pram in the Model 3 boot basically fills it.

This comparison shows it best:

View attachment 389499

Whilst I take your point, 400km range gets you pretty much anywhere is Tasmania, 0-100 in 5.0 seconds is plenty fast for me, likely paying with pre-tax income through salary packaging will save heaps of money anyway.
I have a model 3 and it’s definitely not a weekender with young kids. Went away a few weekends ago, the pram and portacot went in another car and it was surprising how much you could actually fit in it. Pram and portacot used to fill most of the boot in my Forester and a week away with the troops in our CX9 can sometimes be a squeeze.

Not sure what the lead time is on the model Y, but if they’re like a bigger model 3 they will be a great car to drive, going to be hard to beat it with anything else in its price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Saw a Polestar 2 in the flesh today at the bunnings carpark. Had a bit of a sticky beak at it. It’s a bit odd - wheels look too big for it and for the size of the car it feels like it’s got bugger all space - poor packaging.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Seen a guy I knew post this rubbish up on Facebook, like it was some scientific fact.

When I put some evidence that it was all bullshit, he totally ignored it and went on a rant about how he was being forced to buy an EV and how the Greens have stopped oil production in Australia (even though I pointed out that the Liberals have been in power since 2009 and that there is very little viable oil in Australia)
To be honest, it was like having an argument with a flat earther:rolleyes:

goobags

Likes Dirt
Seen a guy I knew post this rubbish up on Facebook, like it was some scientific fact.
View attachment 389736
When I put some evidence that it was all bullshit, he totally ignored it and went on a rant about how he was being forced to buy an EV and how the Greens have stopped oil production in Australia (even though I pointed out that the Liberals have been in power since 2009 and that there is very little viable oil in Australia)
To be honest, it was like having an argument with a flat earther:rolleyes:
I have done about 10,000km in my EV. Haven’t been to a charging station yet.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I only charge at stations on long trips which is say every 2 months.
Flat earther is just an idiot.
90 % of people will charge at home , current service stations have excess space for 6 x as many cars , if they are on a highway and dont need space for fuel tankers and underground fuel tanks.

Stredda

I have done about 10,000km in my EV. Haven’t been to a charging station yet.

Oh yeah, they totally glossed right over that.
With the EV argument with this mob, I always use the point of being self sufficient for our transportation energy needs regardless on how the electricity is produced. We are not then held to ransom by the OPEC countries with oil prices.
There response is usually just blaming the Greens (even though they aren't in power)

I really wonder when they make claims about the Greens stopping everything when for the past 12 years a right wing government has been in power and the Greens haven't had any real punch at all.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I really wonder when they make claims about the Greens stopping everything when for the past 12 years a right wing government has been in power and the Greens haven't had any real punch at all.
I'd hate to be that dumb. Actually no I wouldn't, because I wouldn't know I was that dumb, and would think I was quite clever.

Stredda

That'd be over 140,000km combined for our two vehicles.
Considering that Tesla gives an 8 year warranty, that their batteries will have at least 75% capacity in that time frame, I think it would be pretty safe to say that in 12 years you wouldn't have gone through 3 batteries.
Sure their are failures but there are failures in ICE cars too. I know a guy who went through 4 engines in his Triton due to some manufacturing defects in a batch of engines.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Considering that Tesla gives an 8 year warranty, that their batteries will have at least 75% capacity in that time frame, I think it would be pretty safe to say that in 12 years you wouldn't have gone through 3 batteries.
Sure their are failures but there are failures in ICE cars too. I know a guy who went through 4 engines in his Triton due to some manufacturing defects in a batch of engines.
A glitch in the matrix perhaps?
  1. I don't own a Tesla
  2. I haven't had any failures, just pointing out that between the one BEV and one PHEV that we own, we've done over 140,000km combined without ever visiting a charging station.

Stredda

A glitch in the matrix perhaps?
  1. I don't own a Tesla
  2. I haven't had any failures, just pointing out that between the one BEV and one PHEV that we own, we've done over 140,000km combined without ever visiting a charging station.
Ah yes, I'm not surprised at all. I think that
The earth is flat if you are near sighted and narrow minded.
Near sighted so you can't see ships dipping over the horizon? ;)