Electric Vehicles etc

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your next option would be the path of many, which is to insure and rego in your name and add the p plater bit on
Theyre completely banned for 1 or 2 years from driving these. Adding them as an extra driver still wouldn't have them covered for an accident until they get past that licence point.

Tesla swnt us iut in the LR rather than the standard. even in chill mode its easy to go very quick unintentionally with silent and linear accelerarion. Car was objectively excellent. Not sure how i feel though. If i could have this and a fiesta st for fun id be very happy.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Theyre completely banned for 1 or 2 years from driving these. Adding them as an extra driver still wouldn't have them covered for an accident until they get past that licence point.

Tesla swnt us iut in the LR rather than the standard. even in chill mode its easy to go very quick unintentionally with silent and linear accelerarion. Car was objectively excellent. Not sure how i feel though. If i could have this and a fiesta st for fun id be very happy.
Apparently there are no such restrictions on cars in ACT. We need to get those hoons who grew up on SummerNats doing burnouts in their 5.7 litre cars early :)

I don't get why you would want a Fiesta ST when you have a Tesla, the Fiesta would be slow and boring, but I am converted and have no desire to ever drive another petrol car no matter what it is. My BMW conversion project should slay a Fiesta ST too and probably a bit more fun, if we want to get into the nitty gritty of what is fun in a car.

The effortlessness of electric just brings a grin, all the wringing of the neck in the pathetic system that ICE is to make it go fast just leaves me disappointed that people still think petrol has a place in this world.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apparently there are no such restrictions on cars in ACT
seems its a bit complicated now - 21 model was faster and is banned. 22 model is slower (6.1s) so had longer range and might not be, but there's a shipment in the middle which has both the range and the faster motor. i think its only 1 year of the kids p's and that's still a couple of years off so wouldn't be a deciding factor.

the one pedal driving was nice but a lot less connected and i do enjoy driving. hence a tesla for 90% and little fun car for days just to drive. visiting the accountant tomorrow so will confirm all the little details there.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
21 model was faster and is banned. 22 model is slower (6.1s)

the one pedal driving was nice but a lot less connected and i do enjoy driving.
Yeah I just took a look at the new specs and saw those changes.

I absolutely loved the one pedal. It was a new skill to get used to feathering the throttle and every time that green indicator strip came up telling me I was gaining kilometres instead of wasting brake pad material gave me so much joy. I was bummed to discover I had to use the brake pedal when the battery was full ;)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Hopefully this makes a petrol head cry. It gave me tears of joy to see those ICE, as nice as they were, removed.

Hmmm, again, I'm not having a go at you, your point of view is just as valid as mine, but.......

For me, there's more to driving a car than just going fast. My beloved Kingswood makes you think about how you drive it. I bought a manual Colorado because I hate the just put it in D and forget about aspect of autos. I want to be engaged in the operation of the car. One pedal driving sounds abhorrent to me.

I'll counter myself in so much as electric will and should kick ICE in pure acceleration, and as more manufacturers get on board, vehicle dynamics will come up to speed as well, not that they're not already. Even Ducati are developing a Moto-E race bike.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Hmmm, again, I'm not having a go at you, your point of view is just as valid as mine, but.......

For me, there's more to driving a car than just going fast. My beloved Kingswood makes you think about how you drive it. I bought a manual Colorado because I hate the just put it in D and forget about aspect of autos. I want to be engaged in the operation of the car. One pedal driving sounds abhorrent to me.

I'll counter myself in so much as electric will and should kick ICE in pure acceleration, and as more manufacturers get on board, vehicle dynamics will come up to speed as well, not that they're not already. Even Ducati are developing a Moto-E race bike.
My take on that is that EV is just different, not lesser. The enjoyment/engagement of a manual ICE is being aware of how it works and you can still have that with an EV I think. A one pedal EV isn't "compromised" like an automatic ICE is because thats just how they work - you just engage with it differently. Or something..

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
My take on that is that EV is just different, not lesser. The enjoyment/engagement of a manual ICE is being aware of how it works and you can still have that with an EV I think. A one pedal EV isn't "compromised" like an automatic ICE is because thats just how they work - you just engage with it differently. Or something..
I have no doubt it will become normal and natural in time. Our grand kids will look at us and wonder how the hell we drove like that.

I meant to say earlier that it's probably like a rock garden on a hardtail vs duallie. Same end result, just a different way of thinking.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I have no doubt it will become normal and natural in time. Our grand kids will look at us and wonder how the hell we drove like that.

I meant to say earlier that it's probably like a rock garden on a hardtail vs duallie. Same end result, just a different way of thinking.
It will also depend on the EV - there will be fun ones and boring ones, just like ICE.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Mate I am the first to admit I've totally changed my ways. I've never owned an automatic car, my wife hates autos, but she loved the Tesla and has declared gears totally uneccessary which they are in a Tesla. The one pedal in a car as dynamic and powerful as the Tesla is unreal. Even if it's not about outright speed, the throttle response shits all over everything I've ever driven.

To people who are car fans (eg. us men in their 40's and 50's) yes, to most other people like my wife, no. She would be "why the fuck would I want to ride something that's more difficult to ride"? She keeps saying I don't care how fast the car is, it's the way it's laid out and all that storage where the stpuid gearbox/changer used to go, the visibility with the low windscreen, the flush door handles (quote: "why on earth do cars having sticking out door handles") and the asbolute ease of operation. You don't need to worry about those pesky gears when you're going through the hairpins on the watt pedal is my new attitude, instead of I like to be engaged doing uneccesary things because ICE is so crap it needs gears.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I am looking for a nice rolling chassis mk1 Sprite or similar to do the electric thing to. Just waiting for the right donor but that will be post covid. History tells me I should have bought the mk4 I looked at in 2020...

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Why? Thye're just having fun - i think its hilarious. Not as if this is going to be a common thing!!
He was just having a dig at Tesla due to his stance on the right to repair. He does actually own a normal electric Tesla and this one was a flooded write off, but feels that it is not a good outcome for the community when you can't repair certain components on a Tesla vehicle. Tesla will not sell you a battery pack or motor unit, they just want you to buy and new car or send it back to them for a very expensive replacement.
I'm all for electric cars and love Tesla's technology but making it difficult to repair their products is something I also don't agree with.