Electric Vehicles etc

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
A supplier being asked to make an exhaust pipe using renewable energy? Makes perfect sense.
I think you might be misinterpreting what Porsche is asking (or I am). Porsche is asking their suppliers to switch to renewable energy sources to power their factories etc. The output and power requirements won't change, only the source.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I think you might be misinterpreting what Porsche is asking (or I am). Porsche is asking their suppliers to switch to renewable energy sources to power their factories etc. The output and power requirements won't change, only the source.
Sure I get what they are doing. Like a power company demanding the coal or gas they burn is extracted with renewable energy. It just seems a bit green-washy to me, and Tesla already has a bigger market share with 100% electric (Porsche promises over 50% by 2025 will "include" electric) so this is just for very rich people to feel a bit better about being wasteful energy consumers.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Sure I get what they are doing. Like a power company demanding the coal or gas they burn is extracted with renewable energy. It just seems a bit green-washy to me, and Tesla already has a bigger market share with 100% electric (Porsche promises over 50% by 2025 will "include" electric) so this is just for very rich people to feel a bit better about being wasteful energy consumers.
So what should they do @Scotty T ? Seems like they're damned if they do and damned if they don't....

Scotty T

Walks the walk
So what should they do @Scotty T ? Seems like they're damned if they do and damned if they don't....
I really don't know mate, but I have this chip on my shoulder for all legacy makers now, especially with Tesla taking such a big share of the auto market, let alone the EV market, that legacy makers are now all of a sudden concerned about this because they aren't. They are concerned about making money.

So is Tesla of course, and as discussed here already EV's are not the answer to a much bigger problem. But just comparing Tesla to legacy auto makers, the Model S has been around for nearly 10 years now, Tesla has only ever sold cars that have a total emissions lifecycle of at least 30% less than ICE depending on location. While it is easy to argue that Tesla is for rich people too because they don't yet make a $30k car, they start at $20k less than the base ICE Porsche in the range, and 1/3rd the price of the base Porsche EV.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
....discussed here already EV's are not the answer to a much bigger problem.
Isnt the bigger problem industry in the larger sense of the word not changing enough to adapt to climate change. Isn't a manufacturer asking its suppliers to use renewable energy kind of inline with what needs to be done? Im confused here.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
No, we can't replace ICE with EV & expect an outcome inline with CC requirements. EV manufacturing emissions are significant, the electricity grid is still fed by FF.

CC needs to be addressed with rationing & a WW2-like reorganisation of the manufacturing system. Any less is greenwashing.