Electric Vehicles etc

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Has anyone seen economic analysis of what percentage of EV cars would change the landscape of fuel distribution etc?

I can see a scenario (sips afternoon coffee) where if you suddenly have say 20% EVs then you've got a 20% reduction in customers for petrol stations which I think is kinda huge (I don't know much about it, but its a small profit per litre right?). Could lead to less petrol stations or much more expensive fuel and flow on effects from there?
Not sure about the fuel prices but people are going to be spending more time at the servos.

A typical motorway servo may have 8-10 cars in at any on time, each person taking about 10 mins to fill up, pay and grab a drink.

If the servo then installs a supercharger station with 12 bays, those people charging will be there for 30-60minutes.

As electric cars get more popular, the demand for these SC Stations will also increase, to the point where people will have to wait to charge cars if there is not enough bays.

A 150kw supercharger draws ~500amps... the cable and supply upgrades to these places the host supercharger stations is going to be massive.

In comparison a normal house has about a 100amp supply.

Servos will have to reinvent themselves as places to host customers waiting on their car charging.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Not sure about the fuel prices but people are going to be spending more time at the servos.

A typical motorway servo may have 8-10 cars in at any on time, each person taking about 10 mins to fill up, pay and grab a drink.

If the servo then installs a supercharger station with 12 bays, those people charging will be there for 30-60minutes.

As electric cars get more popular, the demand for these SC Stations will also increase, to the point where people will have to wait to charge cars if there is not enough bays.

A 150kw supercharger draws ~500amps... the cable and supply upgrades to these places the host supercharger stations is going to be massive.

In comparison a normal house has about a 100amp supply.

Servos will have to reinvent themselves as places to host customers waiting on their car charging.
The Shahin's are a solid 10 years ahead of the curve. There's already no profit margin in fuel, that's why almost all the OTR servos have mini-marts, Hungry Jack's, etc in them.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The Shahin's are a solid 10 years ahead of the curve. There's already no profit margin in fuel, that's why almost all the OTR servos have mini-marts, Hungry Jack's, etc in them.
  • Guzman Y Gomez
  • Krispy Kreme
  • OhJ! Fresh Orange Juice
  • HappyDogWash
  • Fuel
  • Smokemart
  • Hot Chicks
  • Wokinabox
  • Oporto
  • Brumbys
  • HappyWash
  • HappyWash Dog Wash
  • HappyWash Valet
  • Chill
  • EAT
  • OTR Supermarket
  • SA Lotteries
  • Move Yourself Trailer Hire
  • Hungry Jack’s
  • C Coffee
  • Moe’s Dog & Shake
  • Subway
Charge the car, wash the mutt.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
  • Guzman Y Gomez
  • Krispy Kreme
  • OhJ! Fresh Orange Juice
  • HappyDogWash
  • Fuel
  • Smokemart
  • Hot Chicks
  • Wokinabox
  • Oporto
  • Brumbys

• HappyWash
  • HappyWash Dog Wash
  • HappyWash Valet
  • Chill
  • EAT
  • OTR Supermarket
  • SA Lotteries
  • Move Yourself Trailer Hire
  • Hungry Jack’s
  • C Coffee
  • Moe’s Dog & Shake
  • Subway
Charge the car, wash the mutt.
That's the one. They've built a couple over here. Plenty of money in that though, personal racetrack anyone?

Mrs George worked in Head Office back when I met her. The cheapest car in the parking garage was a HSV Clubsport, and word on the street was they hated it because it felt so cheap.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
And your bike and kids go where? Not function in my book.
I could be facetious and point out that Tesla also started with a 2 seater sports car but no-one remembers that now. The reality is that a beastie such as this will be a second or perhaps third car for a well off North American family. It makes sense to target the moneyed up DINK market first rather than the worn down family man market with their mortgages, urban SUV repayments and not much disposable income.

That said...this mob do have a plan based in this form factor for a 4 seater, a minivan and an AWD SUV surrogate thing.

The key is that this is the only potential
or actual EV maker that has looked at the actual problem (efficient personal transportation using a BEV) rather than simply just making a electric car.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That's the one. They've built a couple over here. Plenty of money in that though, personal racetrack anyone?

Mrs George worked in Head Office back when I met her. The cheapest car in the parking garage was a HSV Clubsport, and word on the street was they hated it because it felt so cheap.
A couple of the sons used to hang out at a coffee shop near a mate's place on weekends. Used to enjoy seeing a maxed out Huracan, whatever the latest Mclaren was and a E63 wagon spud car casually dumped down some side street in the SE of the CBD.

But yeah, the Shahin empire will be on this, the amount of real estate they own just in their current petrol stations is biblical. Plenty of scope for slowly introducing charging stations as demand increases with zero competition.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
The new Cancoo ute is pretty cool looking.

I really like the look of it and the functionality. Hopefully it's not just another EV for the rich.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This one should be more or less the same as the Ioniq 5 but Kia are talking about a 3 second to 100kmh model so maybe Hyundai will announce an N version of the Ioniq. I think I prefer the Hyundai looks but could definitely live with this if cheaper:

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
The new Cancoo ute is pretty cool looking.
View attachment 373239

I really like the look of it and the functionality. Hopefully it's not just another EV for the rich.
Yikes!
Toyota have added a goitre to the front of the Hiace, moving the cabin rearward - but Canoo are using the drivers' legs as protection for the front axle

Stredda

Yikes!
Toyota have added a goitre to the front of the Hiace, moving the cabin rearward - but Canoo are using the drivers' legs as protection for the front axle
I've heard that comment a lot but you don't actually sit right up to the front of the vehicle near the windscreen. There's a fair bit of crumple zone between you and the front of the car.

Stredda