Electric Vehicles etc

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Watts fishing...?
Fixed for this thread.

On a frustrating note, I saw something about Hyundai reducing hatchback production in the future ('24 onwards) to make way for more SUVs... Wondering if it'll be more pseudo-SUV's like the Kona, where they're really a hatchback platform just with off-road looking wheelarches and a higher roofline (but no additional ground clearance). Wouldn't mind betting a lot of the current non-EV (or predominantly non-EV offering) manufacturers go this way as a lazy work-around for battery packaging and the drone-minded people will still lap them up. I don't hate SUVs if they actually have some decent dirt-road/off-road functionality, but like @Haakon the hordes of people that drive them in cities baffle me.

FFS automakers, just make some decent wagons again!

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
My 17yr old sons 23yr old petrol 2wd Hilux is $200 more for rego than my V8 cruiser.
Can't he register it with a Melrose address?

My 49yr old brother still has all his vehicles registered at my parents address. Heaps cheaper (at least in VIC it used to be).

beeb

So we all need to drive smaller cars, but all the small cars are being axed? o_O:confused:

beeb

I am, I have halved my cylinders over the years. And turbos.
I might be a tall bloke, but I've always preferred small cars. Something with an engine around 1.8L is perfect. Just a shame you can't (easily/cheaply) get those 1.8's in a body intended for a 1.2! :p

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Interesting to hear the assorted nonsense being put out to somehow make this stuff seem like a good idea… It’s for classic toys only, spruiking it as a credible fuel alternative for broader use is a bit annoying.

The only exception I can see is commercial aviation. Will make flying bloody expensive though, which isn’t a bad thing.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Had a conversation with my uncle-in-law about lithium (mostly lithium stocks), but there was a lot of discussion around the "death of personal vehicle transport" (his term) due to the theory that there is not enough rare metals around to make all the batteries to replace all the vehicles in the world, although if there is (enough) the price of electric vehicles will never come down enough enough for a lot of people....

What's the general thoughts here on these statements?

New battery tech on the horizon that won't need as much rare metals?

I'm not massively across all the latest on electric vehicles and so don't know much on the rare metals situation. Just curious as to how likely the above scenario is (death if personal vehicle transport for the masses).

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Had a conversation with my uncle-in-law about lithium (mostly lithium stocks), but there was a lot of discussion around the "death of personal vehicle transport" (his term) due to the theory that there is not enough rare metals around to make all the batteries to replace all the vehicles in the world, although if there is (enough) the price of electric vehicles will never come down enough enough for a lot of people....

I'm not massively across all the latest on electric vehicles and so don't know much on the rare metals situation. Just curious as to how likely the above scenario is (death if personal vehicle transport for the masses).
The TLDR is that Lithium is incredibly abundant and batteries are already being mass produced without rare earth metals (ie BYD and CATL in Chinese made Tesla).

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Lithium and rare metals will be displaced if they get too expensive. This is already happening:
-in the industrial space with flow batteries; and
-in the consumer space with lithium iron.

Hopefully we will see solid state batteries become a viable option with the use of ceramics and graphene.

As to cost, the outright ban on ice in the EU and large states in the US will drive efficiencies of scale and we are already seeing sub $50k EVs which are pretty good.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Lithium and rare metals will be displaced if they get too expensive. This is already happening:
-in the industrial space with flow batteries; and
-in the consumer space with lithium iron.

Hopefully we will see solid state batteries become a viable option with the use of ceramics and graphene.

As to cost, the outright ban on ice in the EU and large states in the US will drive efficiencies of scale and we are already seeing sub $50k EVs which are pretty good.

But won't somebody think about the tradies!?

When do they get a vehicle that they can do their business with and also tailgate other road users.. .?

EDIT: But in all seriousness, and onto @Haakon's favourite type of vehicle. Which manufacturer do you think will deliver an electric dual cab with an actual usable full payload range?

Haakon

Keeps on digging

When do they get a vehicle that they can do their business with and also tailgate other road users.. .?

EDIT: But in all seriousness, and onto @Haakon's favourite type of vehicle. Which manufacturer do you think will deliver an electric dual cab with an actual usable full payload range?
The Chinese are already making one.
Otherwise I don’t really care who does it. Phase the stupid things out and make tradies drive something actually useful.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

You could argue that the F150 lightning and Rivian S1T already do that. Tradies don't generally drive all that far fully loaded between stops.

Fiat, Mercedes and Renault already have electric trucks and panel vans.