Electric Guitar

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I'll try to add another idea to the advice already put forward in regards to learning and practicing.

Transcribing is the single best thing you can ever do to improve your playing, by a fair margin.
Basically it means using your ears - not tabs, not you tube, not scale patterns, not chord shapes.
In its simplest form, it's putting on the radio and trying to work out by ear and by trial and error, how to play a particular song. In it's more advanced form, it's hearing something, then writing it down as notation. And there's a whole lot of space in between those two extremes.

The benefits as a player you'll get by doing this regularly are immense. Your fretboard knowledge, freedom, vocabulary, chops, everything, will improve - very quickly. I recall a story from my guitar teacher many years ago, he helped put Mike Stern (famous Jazz player) up in a hotel after a gig. After a 3hour set, finishing after midnight, Mike went back and transcribed sax lines (on his guitar) for hours. For a lot of those guys, it's all they do - gig, record, and transcribe.

Now obviously you don't need to fully immerse yourself in jazz to reap the benefits, but it's definitely a really powerful tool that you should utilise on a regular basis. 10mins a day, just be consistent.

Motivation is another aspect that can be tough. If you find you're losing interest, try to branch out. If learning thrash metal metal is exhausting your motivation, transcribe some Marley, maybe SRV, hell even Beyonce or a T.V soundtrack. Sometimes all you need is a pattern interrupt to get your motivation back.

Also don't be discouraged or worried if other people are learning at different rates, focus on your own playing and will work out :)

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That book is a masterful effort.. just staggering. I learn't a lot about music notation as well from that book. Its still sitting buried on my desk.

One great tool to help transcribing is a tool like "Transcribe" by Seventh String. Enables you to slow the music down, isolate sections to repeat them, tune the recording to concert pitch, reEQ; it really makes things easier than the old cassette deck days where you spent most of your time finding the section to repeat.

Logic

Likes Dirt
I'll try to add another idea to the advice already put forward in regards to learning and practicing.

Transcribing is the single best thing you can ever do to improve your playing, by a fair margin.
Basically it means using your ears - not tabs, not you tube, not scale patterns, not chord shapes.
In its simplest form, it's putting on the radio and trying to work out by ear and by trial and error, how to play a particular song. In it's more advanced form, it's hearing something, then writing it down as notation. And there's a whole lot of space in between those two extremes.

The benefits as a player you'll get by doing this regularly are immense. Your fretboard knowledge, freedom, vocabulary, chops, everything, will improve - very quickly. I recall a story from my guitar teacher many years ago, he helped put Mike Stern (famous Jazz player) up in a hotel after a gig. After a 3hour set, finishing after midnight, Mike went back and transcribed sax lines (on his guitar) for hours. For a lot of those guys, it's all they do - gig, record, and transcribe.

Now obviously you don't need to fully immerse yourself in jazz to reap the benefits, but it's definitely a really powerful tool that you should utilise on a regular basis. 10mins a day, just be consistent.

Motivation is another aspect that can be tough. If you find you're losing interest, try to branch out. If learning thrash metal metal is exhausting your motivation, transcribe some Marley, maybe SRV, hell even Beyonce or a T.V soundtrack. Sometimes all you need is a pattern interrupt to get your motivation back.

Also don't be discouraged or worried if other people are learning at different rates, focus on your own playing and will work out :)

Wow! Thats one thing I've never though of doing, it sounds quite difficult, but I'll definitely give it a shot!

thanks for your advice :)

ajay

Wow! Thats one thing I've never though of doing, it sounds quite difficult, but I'll definitely give it a shot!

thanks for your advice :)
Its not difficult per sè, just keep it relative to your skill level :)

Logic

Likes Dirt
Its not difficult per sè, just keep it relative to your skill level :)
There's this one guitar cover YouTuber that releases covers of a song literally a couple of hours after it comes out, and they are spot on! All of it is done by ear!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'm pumping Deep Purple's "Machine Head"..... It might be over 45 years old, but still sounds so vibrant. Being recorded virtually live in a barricaded-off hotel corridor gives it that immediacy. :smile:

On topic, as well as Ritchie Blackmore's amazing guitar work, a lot of the organ parts can be adapted to guitar really well too, because Jon Lord used to pump the thing through a Marshall stack, so it has a really edgy, ballsy sound (third run through The Riff on the intro of "Smoke On The Water" is not a guitar overdub, it's the Hammond organ/Marshall!).

ajay

There's this one guitar cover YouTuber that releases covers of a song literally a couple of hours after it comes out, and they are spot on! All of it is done by ear!
There ya go ;)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Couple of Led Zeppelin tracks I'm relearning how to get the fingers around.....

[video=youtube_share;y-5o2f9wzmw]https://youtu.be/y-5o2f9wzmw[/video]

Funky walking bass line, which the guitar doubles when it kicks in. Little bit of double-tracking on the solo which needs a bit of picking through, before stripping back into the freaky bowed guitar solo. A bit of blues over a Bolero-esque shuffle, before launching back into the riff to finish off hard.

That's one.....

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
And this.....

[video=youtube_share;kynj_fzx2EI]https://youtu.be/kynj_fzx2EI[/video]

Oozing swampy electric 12-string slide guitar.

Had to split the post 'cos apparently only one video per post is allowed.

ajay

Anyone go to Dream Theater?

Ive never been a huge Petrucci fan, but damn his playing was awesome!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Grave dig!! :) I knew there was a guitar thread somewhere, so dug it out rather than the lockdown hobbies one....

NGD! (Well yesterday actually)

First foray into acoustic, and I've loved the rich sound of a twelvie since I was a kid, so decided a while ago to hunt one out. A former workmate put me onto a second-hand music dealer a fair while ago, and every so often I'd check their website to see what they had, and finally this popped up at a very friendly price!

In pretty good nick, couple of tiny dings but only cosmetic. Had a small issue with the 2nd high E string sounding really dead, which turned out to be a very low bridge saddle and not enough break angle for the string. Its paired string had obviously had the same problem, because I noticed the tailpiece had been grooved behind the bridge to improve the break angle. So I popped out the offending string & carefully replicated the groove. String back in & tuned up, all fixed, no more deadness! :D

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice score @The Duckmeister. What brand and era is the guitar? I use to play my acoustic all the time and have not touched it in years. Most of the time my playing is through a headphone amp so I don’t annoy the family.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
It's a Samick (Korean brand) from I think around 1993. Excellent condition for its age. One of my electrics is also a Samick, and it's always been trouble-free, so I didn't have any hesitation when I saw this come up.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a Samick (Korean brand) from I think around 1993. Excellent condition for its age. One of my electrics is also a Samick, and it's always been trouble-free, so I didn't have any hesitation when I saw this come up.
I had a Samick Acoustic, it was my first guitar and a was a great guitar.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Grave dig!! :) I knew there was a guitar thread somewhere, so dug it out rather than the lockdown hobbies one....

NGD! (Well yesterday actually)

View attachment 390292

First foray into acoustic, and I've loved the rich sound of a twelvie since I was a kid, so decided a while ago to hunt one out. A former workmate put me onto a second-hand music dealer a fair while ago, and every so often I'd check their website to see what they had, and finally this popped up at a very friendly price!

In pretty good nick, couple of tiny dings but only cosmetic. Had a small issue with the 2nd high E string sounding really dead, which turned out to be a very low bridge saddle and not enough break angle for the string. Its paired string had obviously had the same problem, because I noticed the tailpiece had been grooved behind the bridge to improve the break angle. So I popped out the offending string & carefully replicated the groove. String back in & tuned up, all fixed, no more deadness! :D
Great :p I love the sound of a twelve string as well, it's beautiful. All the best with it.