Electric Guitar

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Herman Li is. He is probably the best guitarist I've heard. Granted, he isn't the best live, he is still very good and very capable.
yes hermin li has been playing guitar for 14 years and plays every day so he would be good

|Matt|

Banned
A friend of mine recommended me a base model Ibanez. He says they are around $200 for a base model one and that they are much better than the Stratocaster.

He is in a band that is actually going places and are getting sponsored so I assume he knows what he is talking about.

Randy Rhoads

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not that much better.

When you are talking about $200 guitars, they are $200 guitars. Its like talking about a $200 bike. Its going to be pretty crap no matter what. I suggest that if you are going to buy a guitar, get something second hand and spend about $500. You will be able to pick up a decent guitar. Look around first. If you are not sure if you are going to like it, ask a mate or someone if you can borrow their for like 2 months. It would suck to find out you couldnt be bothered after spending $500

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
I'll throw my 2 cents in here as i spent a few years teaching guitar.

Most important thing I can tell you... you will only get out what you put in.
Dont expect to get good if you dont practice .. and practice.. and practice.

Get some lessons:
Its not essential as you can teach yourself nearly everything you need to know, however you will teach yourself bad habbits that will limit your ability to play as you want to progress.
Also without proper lessons you wont learn the things you should learn early on such as Modes and alternate picking.
You can get away with a lesson once a week, the rest of the time, just have fun and enjoy it. Use the lessons to learn something new... dont use the lessons as practice.

Get a stand for your guitar and leave it on the stand where you can see it. Dont leave it in the guitar case/bag. Trust me on this one.

Learning to read is important, but personally for most people its not essential early on especially if you simply want to play rock. This is a discipline in itself and its safe to say a high percentage of guitarists cannot read music. (reading Tab however is essential)

Most of all, enjoy it and be realistic. You wont become a great guitarist in a month, it will hurt your fingers but the more you play the better you will get.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Not that much better.

When you are talking about $200 guitars, they are $200 guitars. Its like talking about a $200 bike. Its going to be pretty crap no matter what. I suggest that if you are going to buy a guitar, get something second hand and spend about $500. You will be able to pick up a decent guitar. Look around first. If you are not sure if you are going to like it, ask a mate or someone if you can borrow their for like 2 months. It would suck to find out you couldnt be bothered after spending $500
Great point... I ended up with a collection of guitars that friends had bought then decided they didnt really want to learn guitar. (7 guitars until I decided to sell some off.) :)

A $200 second hand guitar will most likely play and last longer than a $200 brand newy off ebay.

I would strongly advise against the Squire.. I had 2 of them I had collected of friends and to be honest they sound shit and you wont be able to get the sound you want....
A few options:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Epiphone-Les...ryZ33034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I've owned an Epiphone and they play well.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Epiphone-Les...ryZ33034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ibanez-RG-47...ryZ33034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Immaculate-W...ryZ33034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - Washburn are a decent priced entry level guitar.. a little under rated.

BTW Randy... my baby is a '74 Les Paul Custom.. a'la Rhandy Rhodes : ) sweeet as.

Attachments

Last edited:

jamsta

Jamsta Grafix
I'll throw my 2 cents in here as i spent a few years teaching guitar.

Most important thing I can tell you... you will only get out what you put in.
Dont expect to get good if you dont practice .. and practice.. and practice.

Get some lessons:
Its not essential as you can teach yourself nearly everything you need to know, however you will teach yourself bad habbits that will limit your ability to play as you want to progress.
Also without proper lessons you wont learn the things you should learn early on such as Modes and alternate picking.
You can get away with a lesson once a week, the rest of the time, just have fun and enjoy it. Use the lessons to learn something new... dont use the lessons as practice.

Get a stand for your guitar and leave it on the stand where you can see it. Dont leave it in the guitar case/bag. Trust me on this one.

Learning to read is important
, but personally for most people its not essential early on especially if you simply want to play rock. This is a discipline in itself and its safe to say a high percentage of guitarists cannot read music. (reading Tab however is essential)

Most of all, enjoy it and be realistic. You wont become a great guitarist in a month, it will hurt your fingers but the more you play the better you will get.
See! this proves my point... GET LESSONS! at "any" cost...

I've been playing Drums for over 25 years, and still get lessons when I can... my teacher has been playing for 65+ years and still gets lessons... go figure :rolleyes:

practice with passion and dig it... it's never too late - good luck dude, shread it! :)

Last edited:

jamsta

Jamsta Grafix
hey |Matt|, listen to "Wolf" he's onto it ;)

but I must say, try, beg, borrow and steal to get more $ for a G'tar, it'll be so worth it if you're keen to stick with it... 500 min... if you could stretch to 1300 and try and get 2nd hand you'd be set forever... I "conned" a mate once to spend that on an old '72 Gibson Les Paul... 13 years later he still rocks with it and NEVER let it out of his sight...

I spent 23K+ on my last drum kit, and its all I want, ever! ;)

rock on bloke!

|Matt|

Banned
hey |Matt|, listen to "Wolf" he's onto it ;)

but I must say, try, beg, borrow and steal to get more $ for a G'tar, it'll be so worth it if you're keen to stick with it... 500 min... if you could stretch to 1300 and try and get 2nd hand you'd be set forever... I "conned" a mate once to spend that on an old '72 Gibson Les Paul... 13 years later he still rocks with it and NEVER let it out of his sight...

I spent 23K+ on my last drum kit, and its all I want, ever! ;)

rock on bloke!
I've decided to let it go until about the school holidays (end of year...mine start on November 14th as year 11 exams are just before then).

I'll see if I can borrow one from anyone, I have a friend in a band who says he will teach me (well two friends, a vocalist and the actual guitarist who are both very good) so hopefully I'll learn enough from them to teach myself from there.

I'll get a job in the school holidays so I can afford a better one, maybe a Les Paul off ebay if I can get one cheap enough.

dsquared

Likes Bikes
See, at this point in time you don't know if your going to commit, so buy a squier. Trust me you won't be able to hear any difference between his 72" and your squier. Chances are your also rearing to play. Squiers are reliable and basically everyones grommet guitar. To give you an example, my grand piano cost 82k, my cello 15k. Thats because I've committed, when you've committed, get something worthwhile ;)

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
I've decided to let it go until about the school holidays (end of year...mine start on November 14th as year 11 exams are just before then).

I'll see if I can borrow one from anyone, I have a friend in a band who says he will teach me (well two friends, a vocalist and the actual guitarist who are both very good) so hopefully I'll learn enough from them to teach myself from there.

I'll get a job in the school holidays so I can afford a better one, maybe a Les Paul off ebay if I can get one cheap enough.

Any lesson is worthwhile when your learning mate, so if your friends offering, then take him up on it.

If you like the look of the Gibson (Id get an Epiphone before a Les Paul You wont get a decent "Les Paul" for under $1500-$2000.. $4K+ for a real good one) then buy one. They are 100 times better than a Squire or similar and you could happily gig with one. I owned an Epi for about 2 years and loved it. I have had 2 squires and hated both of them with a passion.
Epiphones can be had for only a couple hundred bucks (as per the links in a previous post), if you can afford it there is no valid reason not to.

I have seen first hand, kids who learn with a shit guitar can lose interest fast because it just sounds crap, and not through their fault. Cheap guitars dont always tune properly, have poor intonation and this comes through when you are playing. You dont need to spend up big, just buy carefully and do your research. I have a "no-name" strat copy and it wails... so you can get a good cheapie, but you really need to know what to look for, and what to listen for when you go shopping.

Hope this helps : )

danv

Likes Dirt
Thanks a lot for that.

Plow King has a lot of stuff (stratocaster from Squire) that he is willing to sell me. Should I give that stuff a shot? $200 for a hardly used guitar, amp, strap, books, notes and leads.

If I can teach myself notes and chords, is that all I need to start playing charts and stuff?

Oh and Richo, $300-$400 is absolute tops.
Dude, go for the $200 buck deal. Squires are good shit. Your first guitar, you want something as playable as possible to make it easy to learn and build the coordination and control. It will sound like shit, but A. you probably won't notice this at first because you will be too buzzed out by how cool distortion and bending your notes sounds, and you will probably think it sounds cool B. You can just buy a better guitar when the time is right and you have an idea of the sort of sound you want to go for.
As soon as you start craving a better sound, you will start to also have an idea of what sort of guitar would suit your sound and style, and how much is worth spending.

Guitars hold there value quite well, so you can buy something second hand, and then sell it again in a year or two and make almost no loss (depending how you treated it).

The best thing to do is to spend no more than 300 or so, don't go for the REAL cheap shit, get something that plays smoothly and feels easy to play, get to a basic level of skill (basic chords, power chords, etc.) and then buy a real guitar. And you don't need to spend much to get something very playable. As I said before, go for the squire package.

Oh one other thing, in terms of your sound, with the metal and rock stuff, you will want to go for something with a humbucker pickup (looks like
or
)

soty

Likes Dirt
ESP have a few nice beginner guitars (plus they have the look you`re after ;) )

sorry if someone already suggested it.
Its never too late to pick up an instrument dude. I know of 40 year olds learning. I learnt bass by myself for a year before getting lessons and found i was better than most of the people who had been learning bass off tuition for years. Now i play electric as well. Never had a lesson but Id call myself an intermediate player.

If its in you, you`ll cruise along fine by yourself!

glennles

Likes Dirt
My advice is to grab a friend who knows a bit about guitars and go to a shop and play some these guitars. It doesn't matter if you don't really know anything to play, the main thing is how it feels in your hands.

Write down the models suggested here or tell the person in the shop how much you want to spend and they will give you some options. For hard rock/metal a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge position (toward the tail of the guitar) will definitely get closer to the sound you're after and you might be turned off by single coils.

Grab some lessons for a few months if you can afford it, if only to give you a kickstart. There is lots of good information on the net but 10x more crap imo. If you go to a teacher, make sure they will teach you some of what you want to learn. I wasted a year with a guy who wouldn't teach me the songs I liked and when I changed teachers I progressed much faster simply because I was having more fun.

Anyways I always crap on too much about this stuff. Hope you like the guitar. I don't think I could ever stop playing :D

AngoXC

Wheel size expert

I dunno 'bout your school man but at ours, part of the Year 8 music course is some simple chords on the guitar, hence, they have a class set of Acoustics. It might be worth going down to your music faculty and just asking if you could maybe have a play around one lunch time. Hell, they may even let you take it home or something if your lucky.

Last edited:

|Matt|

Banned
A mate of mine has an Ibanez GAX-30 with a Peavy 15B amp for me for $250 with leads and a case.

What do we think of that?

Would it be too much to ask for $200?

Attachments