earthquake

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I was in Christchurch at some point between the two big quakes, and woke up to a 'small aftershock' which scared the crap out of me.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I went through a few in Japan over the years, most were just "was that a tremor?" And was in the south when the tsunami hit Fukushima in 2011. Worst I experienced first hand was when I was in a waterfront hotel about 40 floors up. Maybe 2 or 3am. Water glass and clock hit the floor and anything on shelves fell out. Quite surreal minutes after the last shock hearing the steel clothes hangers still oscillating in the cupboard. Was about a 5.5 from memory so most Japanese ignored it and went back to sleep despite getting the early warning on phones. Emergency vehicles drove around calling out tsunami warnings and then the all clear.

Mind you in 2011 we were pissing it up at a bar after a bored meeting watching the live feeds from around Tokyo. Mobile coverage was overwhelmed and plenty of worried people for several hours. By pure serendipity we were visiting a project in Kyushu the next few days and flew out of Fukuoka. Met up with a few people who had trained it down to get flights home to the US etc. Some pretty scary stories.

Most luckiest though is there are no Orange bicycle company products in Japan, ground pressure exceeds allowable limits, imagine how much worse it could have been.

cammas

Seamstress
I was in the middle of our morning meeting and it scared the crap out of a few of us.
What was amazing is they’re in Laverton and could feel it before me and then within a couple of seconds I could feel it, just like a wave. One person who is in Coburg could feel it first and then it rippled across the rest of the us, she now has no power.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I was in the middle of our morning meeting and it scared the crap out of a few of us.
What was amazing is they’re in Laverton and could feel it before me and then within a couple of seconds I could feel it, just like a wave. One person who is in Coburg could feel it first and then it rippled across the rest of the us, she now has no power.
I read this as she has THE power, much disappointed.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was pretty funny watching everyone freak out on the morning Teams meeting.
Youngest kid was a bit scared, the best I could get out of the eldest was a "that was cool I guess". Bloody kids...
My youngest got a bit worried and the dog bailed under the table. Eldest just continued doing what he was doing and then after just said, my body was wobbling lol.

Was on the 11th floor of a Tokyo building during one about the same size a couple of years ago. Was standing and just got this sudden vertigo feeling as the whole building swayed. All the Japanese guys go did you feel that? I had no idea that's what it was until they told me. Just another day for them.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I can only REMEMBER being 50. I suspect I’m much older. But thanks for pointing out my joke ;)
I don't want to remember being 50!

So you got some shakey shakes out Ballarat way? Felt nothing here, but that's not surprising - my world doesn't rock much any more.

moorey

call me Mia
I don't want to remember being 50!

So you got some shakey shakes out Ballarat way? Felt nothing here, but that's not surprising - my world doesn't rock much any more.
Sure did. Nothing like some other areas seem to have felt. Woke both kids up though, and wife thought she was having a stroke.