EARPHONES MEGATHREAD - All questions on earphones for riding asked and answered here

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I purchased mine originally to wear on long hauls on my motorbike - helmet / wind noise will send you deaf over the long term.

They are very effective and I am no where near as fatigued at the end of a long ride.

my bodily noises I can live with, my wife has no sympathy for some reason

wind noise drives me crazy too. I do like winter and the ability to wear a beanie under the helmet.

I'm never found headphones for riding I've really LOVED, tried so many. they are all consumables too, forever stuffing up either from sweat, damaged cords or getting busted.

currently using Philips SHQ4200/28 Sports Neckband Headphones. Biggest gripe is microphonics, need to use the cable clip.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Bought some of theses:

Yurbuds Ironman Inspire Pro Performance Fit Earphones w/ Microphone

Wouldn't recommend unless you don't like bass. They are quality headphones but just are very light on the bass, which sucks in my book.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I bought the cheapest Jabra Wireless earphones, and they only lasted a few Jogs before they wouldnt turn on any more. The cable flapping around was also annoying.
jabra-step-wireless.jpg
So I upgraded to the Plantronics sport wireless. The sound seems okay, and the design lets some background noise in, but I haven't given them a proper test yet.
Plantronics_BackBeat_Fit_35835140_-2.jpg

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Back on my bike again and have some Xmas money to spend.

Looking at wireless, (either kind is acceptable but budget may limit options) and have about $150 to spend on in-ear canal style ear drum poppers.

Anyone got any advice?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

Looking at wireless, (either kind is acceptable but budget may limit options) and have about $150 to spend on in-ear canal style ear drum poppers.

Anyone got any advice?
I've been using the Audiofly AF45 for years. Now I note that they are available in wireless format! Even the step up model(AF56W) is within your budget

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Anyone got any advice?
Have you looked at the Nura Loop? They might be available on subscription. I've the Nuraphones and they're head and shoulder better than anything I've ever used.

And the subscription package makes more sense to me than forking out loads of pesos at any one time.

Might be worth a look.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I bought these recently... online reviews were positive.

Pro's:
  • Pairing with phone is instantaneous & painless
  • Different silicone fitting options work well, comfy for hours.
  • Recharge is fast.
  • Phone App let's you fiddle around with sound profiles and other stuff.
  • Build quality seems very good

Cons:
  • Overall sound quality is average. Sound is pretty flat & lifeless. Fuck all bass unless you crank the levels to max in the App.
  • Chunky ear piece is a bit of a pain when donning & removing FF helmet.
  • Poor VFM compared to others methinks.

I almost bought the AudioFlys.... probably should have ☹

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

Pro's:
  • Recharge is fast.
Cons:
  • Overall sound quality is average. Sound is pretty flat & lifeless. Fuck all bass unless you crank the levels to max in the App.
What did you buy?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would happily recommend Blitzwolf FYE4/5/whatever earbuds, I tend to always ride with one in and have zero complaints with it. Proper wireless, extremely light, good sound, controls to pause/play/skip without reaching for phone, and the battery life is excellent (think I've charged the case maybe 3 times in the last 6 months?). Also very cheap compared to other options. Can't ask for more.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar

Pro's:
  • Recharge is fast.

Cons:

Err.... these...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Would happily recommend Blitzwolf FYE4/5/whatever earbuds, I tend to always ride with one in and have zero complaints with it. Proper wireless, extremely light, good sound, controls to pause/play/skip without reaching for phone, and the battery life is excellent (think I've charged the case maybe 3 times in the last 6 months?). Also very cheap compared to other options. Can't ask for more.

Holy Moly, forget the earbuds, that's the worst website I've ever visited. 85% of your screen is filled with useless crap and you only get 15% to see the actual product.

Thanks, though, will have a read and check them out.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Have you looked at the Nura Loop? They might be available on subscription. I've the Nuraphones and they're head and shoulder better than anything I've ever used.

And the subscription package makes more sense to me than forking out loads of pesos at any one time.

Might be worth a look.
I really like the idea but can't find any reviews on the loops.

Plus, to purchase straight out, which I kind prefer, is $300.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Oh wow, that's a really valuable response as these were on my list and your cons most definitely get them crossed out.

Thanks!
Glad I could help ;)
I should add that for most people who aren't too fussy about sound quality they would be fine and prolly better than many competitors. But I'm a bit of an audiophile (on a beer budget) and I guess I expected fancier audio quality.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I've been using the Audiofly AF45 for years. Now I note that they are available in wireless format! Even the step up model(AF56W) is within your budget

I'm definitely keen on these, there's only one review I can find that has actually used them and it says that they're not very bassy. I do like my prodigy and Crystal MEthod at times, which requires healthy bass. Wish there were more reviews I could see!