EARPHONES MEGATHREAD - All questions on earphones for riding asked and answered here

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The reviews I've read for the bone tech say that the bass is pretty light on.

You dis/agree?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I've got a set of Klipsch noise isolating. They're great. Good bass. My Digital Silence Noise Cancelling are great too. Good bass. I wear them mowing the lawn they're that good. Good for trail riding, but I don't wear them on the road..... that would be naughty.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
EARPHONES MEGATHREAD - All questions on earphones for riding asked and answer...

The reviews I've read for the bone tech say that the bass is pretty light on.

You dis/agree?
Thinking bout on my ride home tonight, bass is poo, but never really thought about it. I'm happy with the sound quality for riding

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
536_0.jpg

This is what I use, Sennheiser MM30i. Comparatively cheap, sound good, low profile, no wind noise, can still hear traffic ok. A pair usually lasts me about a year, that's using them for riding, at my desk at work, walking the dog, mowing the lawn, etc etc. I would use them for at least a few hours every day.

EDIT - Seem to handle the sweat ok too.

Hey all - merged these threads to try and pool the resources on the subject.

So ...., time to ask the question again and see if there have been any new advancements or experiences on the matter.

I HATE WIND NOISE.

Anyone know of any earbuds, the canal type that have low wind noise? I've seen this idea - http://www.cat-ears.com/ - and I like the logic. However I'd prefer to just have headphones with a very low profile instead. I've been looking at these, they are cheap, very small and don't have a long plastic bit that tails off from the bud down the cord (a large part of noise creation) - http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/So...walking-or-any-other-activitity/9999120885627

Anyone have anything they can offer on this issue?

Cheers.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yep, that's what I've been using as well. Pretty happy with them but they have died recently with sweat getting in to the in-line remote whilst at the gym and killing it and now one of the speakers have died as well. I have no major complaint with them, however the the sound isn't what I'd call fantastic - the sound in my stock iPhone buds are markedly better.

Whilst they are the best I've had so far in terms of wind rush I still get more than I prefer - to the point that I wear a stupid looking head-scarfey kind of thing to cover my ears as I commute so I can hear seminars and book readings without deafening myself with volume.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, that's what I've been using as well. Pretty happy with them but they have died recently with sweat getting in to the in-line remote whilst at the gym and killing it and now one of the speakers have died as well. I have no major complaint with them, however the the sound isn't what I'd call fantastic - the sound in my stock iPhone buds are markedly better.

Whilst they are the best I've had so far in terms of wind rush I still get more than I prefer - to the point that I wear a stupid looking head-scarfey kind of thing to cover my ears as I commute so I can hear seminars and book readings without deafening myself with volume.
where are you located? You can try mine if you want, I'm in Melbourne

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Thanks for the offer mate but there are a few too many km between us.

Interesting technology though, never heard of it before today.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yes, I am considering them.

As you may have noticed I linked to the cat ears website under the part of my post that you quoted.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
As you may have noticed I linked to the cat ears website under the part of my post that you quoted.
Ops... scrolling down, seen your bold "I HATE...." and didnt read the rest.... ah well, best shave you legs at the same time as you'll look weird.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I was planning to use the hairs from my legs to make my own personalised set of cat ears.

Cost effective and creepy.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Got a new avatar for you, personally as I get older, I've got a bit of "cat silencing" going on in my ears, the hair has moved from my head to my ears and shoulders but that's another topic.

Attachments

For ear buds I use Westone 2, dual drivers for bass and treble, they act like an ear plug thus sealing off ambient noise, the detail they provide is unreal.

I wore these on the entire flight back from perth, no discomfort, no shitty air craft noise.

BUT, when I wear them walking, eating drinking, exercising i can hear my breathing, swallowing, chewing, jaw clicking and my foot steps as they impact ground and I guess generate sound through my body, because they are that effective at blocking out noise.

I've listened to DSOM a million times, first time I heard it with these I heard so many new things I wondered if I was imagining it.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
That's a pretty common critique of a number of earphones on the market, according to online reviews. They call it microphonics or something like that.

I ended up going with these little suckers - http://www.fishpond.com.au/Electron...walking-or-any-other-activitity/0609722271721 - as they have a pretty low profile and cutting out wind noise is actually more important to me than sound quality - I may be somewhat obsessive about it all. :clock:

I'm also going to try making some homemade cat ear type thingos to see what I can achieve there..., although I shall brand mine Elvis Burns, or something similarly as dumb.

I purchased mine originally to wear on long hauls on my motorbike - helmet / wind noise will send you deaf over the long term.

They are very effective and I am no where near as fatigued at the end of a long ride.

my bodily noises I can live with, my wife has no sympathy for some reason

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Hey all - merged these threads to try and pool the resources on the subject.

So ...., time to ask the question again and see if there have been any new advancements or experiences on the matter.

I HATE WIND NOISE.

Anyone know of any earbuds, the canal type that have low wind noise? I've seen this idea - http://www.cat-ears.com/ - and I like the logic. However I'd prefer to just have headphones with a very low profile instead. I've been looking at these, they are cheap, very small and don't have a long plastic bit that tails off from the bud down the cord (a large part of noise creation) - http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/So...walking-or-any-other-activitity/9999120885627

Anyone have anything they can offer on this issue?

Cheers.

Due to my ever decreasing follicular coverage on the noggin I tend to ride with a Buff tube scarf over the skull and under the helmet and I can pull it down over the ears to reduce wind noise...works fine and protects my head from sun and cold...plus catches the sweat too.

As for headphones...I've had my little Audiofly AF45 units (from Perth) for ages http://www.audiofly.com/Shop/AF45.html Great sound, great price and really low profile. Tend to be so isolating (without being specifically noise isolating) that hearing what's going on around you is compromised so commuting with them is a no-no.