EARPHONES MEGATHREAD - All questions on earphones for riding asked and answered here

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
So my search for reduced wind noise continues:

I tried riding this week with a headband coming down over the ears to cover the buds. I thought that this would completely cancel the win rush out. Surprisingly it did not! All it did was blunt/muffle it a bit, which I was not at all expecting. I'm starting to get interested in the science of how wind noise works, particularly around earphones, but I don't need another rabbit hole in my life ATM.

I Also found these, which have relatively decent reviews. The audiophiles say that the sound stage (whatever that is) is limited and that the base crowds out higher noises at volume. I don't think that this will be an issue for me as I don't need high quality when riding, I listen to podcasts around the house and the volume of music is very low when in the office.

They say that they have hybrid active noise cancelling, which is the ANC best suited to defeat wind noise. Plus, they also claim an algorithm specifically designed for wind rush - so this sounds precisely what I'm looking for. However, I can't find a single review which tests the ANC with a focus on windy conditions.

But, for around $150-ish, I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on these to see how they go.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I have to say that my Earshots have been absolutely fantastic and I just wish I could use them with my enduro full face which is what I tend to wear on my locals more often than not. But when riding with the 1/2 lid they are spot on.

They are really good for other forms of exercise like running etc. as due to the design they just do not fall off. Very comfortable for long periods of time as they do not sit in the ear either.

Started with the Gen1 and then got upgraded to the Gen2 when there was a warranty issue so cannot fault the customer service team. They are great in that the sound quality is really good but you can still hear the trail noise around you as you are riding.
I had a pair of those. Good sound. Secure but the in ear part was massive. Ended up hurting my ear after 30min. They are bigger than apple AirPods. Or at least a different shape. Luckily one side stopped working so they gave me a warranty refund.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
I had a pair of those. Good sound. Secure but the in ear part was massive. Ended up hurting my ear after 30min. They are bigger than apple AirPods. Or at least a different shape. Luckily one side stopped working so they gave me a warranty refund.
Was that the Gen1 or Gen2 version as I had the same experience with the Gen1 and got upgraded to the Gen2 as they released those around the time I had the issue.

I haven't had the same issues with these and found them to really good. For me the in ear ones always just pop out when running/riding where these things just stay on regardless of what I throw at them.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Was that the Gen1 or Gen2 version as I had the same experience with the Gen1 and got upgraded to the Gen2 as they released those around the time I had the issue.

I haven't had the same issues with these and found them to really good. For me the in ear ones always just pop out when running/riding where these things just stay on regardless of what I throw at them.
Gen two. I really wanted to like them but just found they didn’t fit my ear holes. The company are great to deal with.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Found these on sale for under $90, so grabbed a pair. That kind of money isn't too much to regret if they aren't for me, and the general mood seems to be pretty positive on them (I also like the bass-up-front approach to the sound). Looks like the wind noise algorithm is for reducing impact on phone calls, rather than general listening.

I looked at the Earshots, but given the very unique shape of them, I'd really want to try them first, largely for the same reasons that @Jpez refers to. Secondly, the over the ear design can complicate the wearing of cool-guy shades :cool:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Found these on sale for under $90, so grabbed a pair. That kind of money isn't too much to regret if they aren't for me, and the general mood seems to be pretty positive on them (I also like the bass-up-front approach to the sound). Looks like the wind noise algorithm is for reducing impact on phone calls, rather than general listening.

I looked at the Earshots, but given the very unique shape of them, I'd really want to try them first, largely for the same reasons that @Jpez refers to. Secondly, the over the ear design can complicate the wearing of cool-guy shades :cool:
Have used these a couple of time now and I'm pretty impressed, particularly for the price point.

First impressions:
  • The wind noise is relatively low, compared to my previous earphones. The profile of these seems to work well on a bike. I still get wind rush, but it's very manageable, based on the bit of riding I've done with them so far.
  • The sound quality is good/enough for the job, but it's not awesome. The bit that I appreciate is that it's very bass-forward, which is what I prefer. There is nothing worse than tinny sounding headphones. As many of the reviews point out, if you listen to some pretty bassy stuff (I've been going on some drum and bass and some breakcore) it can get a little muddy at higher volumes and can drown out the middle a touch. However, the app does have an equaliser, with a bunch of customisable presets, which can assist in getting you what you want in terms of sound
  • The fit is ok. I've still got a fair bit of time to go before I can talk to the fit, but seems ok. It's assisted by these phones being super-light - can't be much more than 4-5 grams each. The left fits perfectly for me and requires little adjustment as I ride and get sweaty. The right ear is a little more fiddly for me, I still have to find the right fitting (of which there are four), but I would put that down to the peculiarities of my ear rather than the earbud.
  • Functionality is a bit of a question for me. The on-bud controls are by way of taps, not clickable buttons. Right now as I'm working out how to seat the right bud properly, this is a bit of a problem as I keep accidentally pausing it, going to voice command and all sorts of unintended commands. The good things is that their commands are totally customisable, and for now, I can disable all tap commands via the app until I work out my fit and how I want the on-bud commands configured.
  • The App seems decent. I haven't read the privacy statement yet, but looking through my phones settings there are no obvious signs that the app looks to access anything it shouldn't (mic, pics, location, contacts, etc.). It seems to have decent functionality with customisable settings for sound, on-ear commands and some other stuff that I've not dug into yet.
So that this point, for sub-$90 (on sale) these seem like an excellent choice. Hopefully, as I get to use them in different settings this will remain the outcome!

1699136238238.jpeg

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Just bought a set of Sennheiser Momentum 3s on sale from Amazon. Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 Noise Cancelling Headphones, Black https://amzn.asia/d/5lA3LVh

Easily the best earbuds I've used. Seem to do everything well. Not sure about IP rating. Definitely get them on sale, I got them 40% off.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Just an update on these. The wind mode on the ANC works a treat, very effective. But the ANC doesn't deal well with lower frequency grey noise like indoor pools or warehouses with rain.

Overall sound quality is good as you would expect from Sennheiser. The rubber ear tips also include a foam layer to stop ear wax migrating onto the ear buds. They are rated to IPX4 which is ok but not ideal.

For IPX8 rated earbuds I would recommend the Tozo T12 pro as a reasonable option, but the call quality will be a bit mediocre. https://amzn.asia/d/ggyLUC5
The waterproof membrane on these can get fouled by earwax so a set of the Sennheiser eartips with the integrated foam would be a good idea and should fit.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Just an update on these. The wind mode on the ANC works a treat, very effective. But the ANC doesn't deal well with lower frequency grey noise like indoor pools or warehouses with rain.

Overall sound quality is good as you would expect from Sennheiser. The rubber ear tips also include a foam layer to stop ear wax migrating onto the ear buds. They are rated to IPX4 which is ok but not ideal.

For IPX8 rated earbuds I would recommend the Tozo T12 pro as a reasonable option, but the call quality will be a bit mediocre. https://amzn.asia/d/ggyLUC5
The waterproof membrane on these can get fouled by earwax so a set of the Sennheiser eartips with the integrated foam would be a good idea and should fit.

You've tried the ANC whilst riding?

Most wind noise ANC that I've been reading up on seems targeted to improving call quality.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
You've tried the ANC whilst riding?

Most wind noise ANC that I've been reading up on seems targeted to improving call quality.
Yep and gale force winds while walking.