DT EX511 rims with included nipple and washer.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Would have usually put this as a quick question or in the wheelbuild thread but we have the last hub sitting in a basket and need an answer quickly.

Building #2 son, the wheel smasher :rolleyes: a new set of wheels, DT350's Competitions and EX511 rims.

The EX511 rims come with a set of 15mm DT Pro Lock Squorx Pro Head nipple and a PHR washer.

When doing the spoke calculation it allows me to select the correct 15mm nipple but there is no mention or option of adding the 0.9mm washer.

Is this included in the calculation ?

Does the rim ERD include the thickness of the supplied washers ?

Cheers

LPG

likes thicc birds
I've always aimed for standard brass nipples so I don't have direct experience but 0.9mm of washer is going to add 0.9mm of spoke length. This isnt critical unless you are already on the short side for the spoke length. I'd round up longwr if you were in between spoke lengths when buying.

ozzybmx

I've always aimed for standard brass nipples so I don't have direct experience but 0.9mm of washer is going to add 0.9mm of spoke length. This isnt critical unless you are already on the short side for the spoke length. I'd round up longwr if you were in between spoke lengths when buying.
So should I be adding 0.9mm to each spoke length to get the right length or does the EX511 rim already include that in the ERD ?

The spoke length is 274/276 the 0.9mm may mean they are all closer to 276mm and 274mm would be short.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Or you could consult a master ....

ozzybmx

If using the DT Swiss calculator, the preloaded ERD in the database will factor in the washers.

But chuck those shitty aluminium nipples out and use brass!
Ah, wondered if the supplied Squorx were alu or brass, will get some brass ordered.

The 12mm brass Pro Lock work out basically the same spoke length as the 15mm Squorx.

Cheers

ozzybmx

Just a bit of info for anyone looking to build a sturdy set of wheels.

R2 Bike, prices in Au$

2 x EX511 - $211
1 x rear DT 350 DBCL Boost - $202
1 x front DT350 DBCL Boost - $78
64 x Black Sapim Race 2/1.8/2 (same as DT Comps) - $70

$550 without postage.

PJO

in me vL comy
Recently built with xm481 rims in both 27.5 and 29 versions.
Here are my ERD measurements including nipple washers. 600mm for the 29 and 561mm for the 27.5. You might be able to use this to compare with the DT websites measurements and figure out what you need for the EX511.
The ERD was quite consistent I had five 29" rims and they were all within 0.5mm.

Like @The Duckmeister says stay away from the Alu nipples.

ozzybmx

I used the DT Swiss spoke calculator and it pre filled the EX511 27.5 as 563mm, so a couple of mm difference.

Hoping it comes together alright using the DT calc with DT rims and hubs.

Reactions: PJO

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Just a bit of info for anyone looking to build a sturdy set of wheels.

R2 Bike, prices in Au$

2 x EX511 - $211
1 x rear DT 350 DBCL Boost - $202
1 x front DT350 DBCL Boost - $78
64 x Black Sapim Race 2/1.8/2 (same as DT Comps) - $70

$550 without postage.
That's a cracking good price for the rims, I paid $170+ for an EX511 through Bike24 a few months back.

ozzybmx

That's a cracking good price for the rims, I paid $170+ for an EX511 through Bike24 a few months back.
Yes, 66 euros each.

We did a full price up through Bike24, HiBike, Bike Components and R2.

The spokes were cheaper through Bike24 but they were silver DT Comps, everything else was cheaper.

Bonus being R2 still has stock of the 2021 DT Hubs before the new EXP versions... so I have ratchet sets and a selection of different DT freehubs to fit.