Dropper post collar - cant undo it...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
X Fusion Manic, stupid tight... Anyone got any magic tricks before I break out the vice grips and leave gouge marks in it....? Can not get this bloody thing off. Bought a strap wrench even. Its on super tight.

I'm thinking maybe putting it in the freezer...

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
try and find one with the seat belt material, the rubber ones are good for putting on things like oil filters but shithouse at removing them..they stretch too much
you can try the old ratchet strap trick, the cheap thin narrow ones work best, just use the long strap not the ratchet end!..wet it a little and start wrapping, then use the hook as a purchase to turn it in the desired direction

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Soft hammer and tap around the colar, the light shocks help loosen seized threads.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
First check you are turning it the right way is it the male or female part you are turning ?
Then either use rubber then rachet strap or some tape or rubber and put on a hose clamp as tight as possible then use a shifter pushing against the hose clamp worm drive.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
First check you are turning it the right way is it the male or female part you are turning ?
Then either use rubber then rachet strap or some tape or rubber and put on a hose clamp as tight as possible then use a shifter pushing against the hose clamp worm drive.
That's one to put in the book.

slowmick

38-39"
Wrap the strap wrench rubber around the collar and use the vice grips. My bunnings one was shit the rubber pulled out of the handle trying to undo a dropper collar...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Heat it up and spray it with penetrating fluid and repeat a few times, I use one of those burners on a soldering iron kit, just make sure you don't get it that hot that it melts the rubber seals.
Wrap the strap wrench rubber around the collar and use the vice grips. My bunnings one was shit the rubber pulled out of the handle trying to undo a dropper collar...
That's what I've done before but with an old rubber tube, got to be really careful you don't bite into the collar with the grips through the rubber.

T-Rex

Template denier
Try wrapping strips of gaffa tape around it, if you make it big enough diameter it might come off by hand. Or apply vice grips, the gaffa tape will prevent it from getting marked.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
X Fusion Manic, stupid tight... Anyone got any magic tricks before I break out the vice grips and leave gouge marks in it....? Can not get this bloody thing off. Bought a strap wrench even. Its on super tight.

I'm thinking maybe putting it in the freezer...
Just to be clear of the issue, is the seatpost stuck in the seat tube? As that appears to be what you are implying.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
OK yeah whats the problem getting it out of the frame or pulling the actual thing apart for a service ??
That's one to put in the book.
The reason I said about the turning bit was that on my seatpost it was such a neat fit I couldnt tell but I needed to turn the male part when I looked on line and i used a hose clamp as I had no strap wrench.