Drivetrain upgrade from Deore 10sp

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hi all,

After some convincing, my wife 'wants' to upgrade her bike to 1x (current 3 x 8) and I see this as an opportunity transfer my drivetrain to hers, and then look at a new drivetrain for my bike.

I currently have an XT 10sp shifter, Deore 10sp M6000 derailleur and a Sunrace 11-46T cassette but with current shortages of everything Shimano 10sp, I'm wondering if I should look at moving to 11 speed or take a look at Microshift Advent X?

I'm happy to stick with 11-46T in either 10sp or 11sp, a 51T wouldn't encourage me to work on my climbing strength!

Thoughts?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
stick with 10 speed or goto microshift, i dont see any advantage to 11 spd, and its slightly harder to get adjustment correct, I presume 12spd i slightly harder again to set correctly.

scrub that - for the wife bike stick to 2x8, chains last, derailleur are cheap & keep going, can move to 11-40/42 with a hanger extender, 8 spd forever

moving to 51t will help your climbing strength, need lots of sub-threshold work, esp repeats -not struggling over your limit to improve, keep at 90-92% max HR [the heart rate you can hold for a 45-50min Xc/cyclocross race, eg 175 bpm- not the spike of 225 you saw once whilst smashing a KOM]

HamboCairns

scrub that - for the wife bike stick to 2x8, chains last, derailleur are cheap & keep going, can move to 11-40/42 with a hanger extender, 8 spd forever
Sounds good but that would mean I don't get to upgrade and I already have the 1x on my bike now. She doesn't ride a great deal and it's mainly green trails so unless she throws the bike at me, there's little chance of damage to the derailleur!

Also, thanks for the climbing tip - I haven't been particularly scientific, just hitting big hills and stopping sometimes. The Advent X is 48T so an improvement on 46T.

moorey

call me Mia
stick with 10 speed or goto microshift, i dont see any advantage to 11 spd, and its slightly harder to get adjustment correct, I presume 12spd i slightly harder again to set correctly.
Only for hipsters. Easier to set up than 10sp with bigger cassettes used to be. 11sp is idiot proof, unlike 12sp

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
moving to 51t will help your climbing strength, need lots of sub-threshold work, esp repeats -not struggling over your limit to improve, keep at 90-92% max HR [the heart rate you can hold for a 45-50min Xc/cyclocross race, eg 175 bpm- not the spike of 225 you saw once whilst smashing a KOM]
And 51t won't do fuck all for climbing strength. You need to work on how much force you put into the pedals. But it will give you a bail out for those breaks so you can keep moving. What Hale is prescribing will improve your climbing endurance so you can maintain whatever speed you do have for longer.

Also, assuming your 10sp has a bigger 1st gear than her 8sp, the bigger range will absolutely help her ride for longer.

HamboCairns

And 51t won't do fuck all for climbing strength. You need to work on how much force you put into the pedals. But it will give you a bail out for those breaks so you can keep moving. What Hale is prescribing will improve your climbing endurance so you can maintain whatever speed you do have for longer.

Also, assuming your 10sp has a bigger 1st gear than her 8sp, the bigger range will absolutely help her ride for longer.
Amazingly yes! Her smallest chainring is a 24 and the rear is a 34T which works out to 0.71 - a 30T chainring + 46T rear is 0.65.

moorey

call me Mia
What's availability of 11sp like and should I look at XT or a mix?
Was plenty available last time I bought some. 14 months ago.
Better shifter is nice, though they say Deore/SLX shifters are lighter action due to no multi shift. Multi is a non negotiable for me.

HamboCairns

Was plenty available last time I bought some. 14 months ago.
Better shifter is nice, though they say Deore/SLX shifters are lighter action due to no multi shift. Multi is a non negotiable for me.
Having had it for a few weeks, I'm in violent agreement - it's something the Advent X is missing. I wonder if they'll add it at some point (unless it's patented).

SRAM is off the table as I know nothing about it.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Do you live in a steep place (I'm in Hobart, so it is up and down and up and down...)? My bikes are as follows:

NS Surge Evo = XT 10 speed and 11-36 with EBay longer hanger (will eventually go 11-42).
NS Clash = Zee 10 speed and 11-42 with a Goat Link.
Giant Boulder (wife) = XT 10 speed with 11-40 and EBay longer hanger.

My Tallboy LT is 11 speed (SLX 11-50 with a Goat Link).

I see no issue with keeping with 10 speed as it is simple to tune and reliable. I'd happily have run 10 speed on my Tallboy if it came that way.

HamboCairns

Do you live in a steep place (I'm in Hobart, so it is up and down and up and down...)? My bikes are as follows:

NS Surge Evo = XT 10 speed and 11-36 with EBay longer hanger (will eventually go 11-42).
NS Clash = Zee 10 speed and 11-42 with a Goat Link.
Giant Boulder (wife) = XT 10 speed with 11-40 and EBay longer hanger.

My Tallboy LT is 11 speed (SLX 11-50 with a Goat Link).

I see no issue with keeping with 10 speed as it is simple to tune and reliable. I'd happily have run 10 speed on my Tallboy if it came that way.
I live in a technical place - Smithfield QLD

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the upgrade requires all three, cluster, rear mech and shifter, I would just go straight to 11 speed.
Its a bombproof single speed setup which I also find very easy to tune. Bugger all functionality between SLX and XT other than the shifter.
Multi shift on the XT, lighter action on the SLX.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Have the same drivetrain across the fleet, that way if you bust something (like a derailleur), you can borrow hers until you can get a new one.
10 speed is perfectly functional and very affordable because everyone else wants 12 speed.

HamboCairns

Have the same drivetrain across the fleet, that way if you bust something (like a derailleur), you can borrow hers until you can get a new one.
10 speed is perfectly functional and very affordable because everyone else wants 12 speed.
That makes the most sense, especially spread over three or four bikes. But of course this all goes to shit if I buy Microshift..

stirk

Burner
Stick to 10 speed 11-46 if that's currently working and that'll work just as well as 11 speed 11-46. I went to 11 speed and did as at the time it was a simple path to 46 tooth cog rather than buying giant cogs separately and retro fitting to 11-36 cassettes. Upgrade yourself to a clutched derailleur though.

11 speed, 10 speed, same same, I think only a pro xc racer would pick a difference.

Me, I'm always hunting that lower gear in the steep uphills only to be disappointed when there is no clicking of easier gears!