Drive train options

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So no issues coming from Ali Express? It's the only place I can find any of it.
None, all the Shimano stuff I've got from them has been genuine or an incredibly good fake. So far I've got brakes, chains, cranks and mech cages. All in Shimano packaging. 007 bike store is the seller I use. Just be really really really careful when ordering, ask me how I know. You have to look at the little pictures and make sure you get what you want ,there's no nice little drop down boxes which allow you to select the right combo.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Any particular reason why you recommend the XT chain @Oddjob? Not intending to hijack the thread, just curious, as I've read somewhere that it's highly desirable to run XTR chains on Shimano 12-speed as they're much more durable - something about XTR having SIL-TEC surface treatment on the rollers plus the inner and outer plates while XT only has it on the outer plates.

From my own experience with the SRAM requivalent GX vs X01 Eagle chains, I won't buy another GX chain again. It's amazing how much faster they elongate vs the X01 spec.
Generally speaking the higher up the scale you go, the fancier the materials and surface treatments. The main difference between the XT and XTR chains is the sil-tec surface treatment. I believe that bushings and steel used is otherwise the same.

In a road setting where the contamination of the lube is likely to be a slower process, the surface treatment is likely to make a big difference. See https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/chaintesting/. But in MTB I've found most fancy surface (sil-tec, teflon and Ti-N) treatments to have short miserable lives.

So I would recommend saving the money on an XTR chain and putting it towards a good lube (Rock and Roll blue) and having 3-4 chains on rotation to extend the life of the cassette and chainrings.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Alexxx

Likes Dirt
If you go with Shimano 12 speed I would stick with an XT shifter, the XTR shifter has a known issue which Shimano covers under warranty but you would be without a shifter for a few weeks.
I've been running SLX, XT, and XTR lately for the $$$ I would use SLX at the back with an XT shifter up front (for the double up shift) Haven't tried the new Deore stuff because it's so close in price to SLX.

Oddjob

If you go with Shimano 12 speed I would stick with an XT shifter, the XTR shifter has a known issue which Shimano covers under warranty but you would be without a shifter for a few weeks.
I've been running SLX, XT, and XTR lately for the $$$ I would use SLX at the back with an XT shifter up front (for the double up shift) Haven't tried the new Deore stuff because it's so close in price to SLX.
The Deore Rd on AliExpress is $40-$50 cheaper than the SLX. Given the minuscule weight and feel difference I would put the money towards lighter cranks or cassette where there's more weight loss possible.

Scotty675

Cable thief
True…but a lot of money for reduced range.
They are expensive compared to xt. But lighter and cheaper than Xtr. Also save changing driver.
personally I’m sold on 10-45 but do run the garbaruk on a bike as it was the cheapest way at the time to try 12 speed.

Scotty675

Cable thief
What is the issue with Xtr shifters? I’ve had no problems so far. Were they the originals that had the switch from 11 to 12 speed

Oddjob

If you feel like living dangerously. Some Eewings knockoffs.

AU $569.35 | Handmade Titanium Cran...m MTB Parts https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNbIHK4

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Deore Rd on AliExpress is $40-$50 cheaper than the SLX. Given the minuscule weight and feel difference I would put the money towards lighter cranks or cassette where there's more weight loss possible.

Totally agree with this, then purchase jockey wheels with bearings from Ali Express. Can confirm there is fuck all difference in 12 speed mechs.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I got a full Deore groupset from Ali with 4 pot brakes, works great. Only issue is the shifter has a window which I didn't like initially but now don't mind it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Unless you go for one of the non Shimano / SRAM options you are up for a driver change. Is your fancy dancy wheelset ok with XD or microspline? Then decide if you need 12 gears or 11 since the range is doable with SRAM in 11 speed and SRAM and Shimano in 12 speed.

If me I would XD and SRAM 11 speed at the back with the best level of kit I could justify and whatever up the front, probably XTR since I quite like it.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Unless you go for one of the non Shimano / SRAM options you are up for a driver change. Is your fancy dancy wheelset ok with XD or microspline? Then decide if you need 12 gears or 11 since the range is doable with SRAM in 11 speed and SRAM and Shimano in 12 speed.

If me I would XD and SRAM 11 speed at the back with the best level of kit I could justify and whatever up the front, probably XTR since I quite like it.
A bit of Hamboing shows both drivers are available for the CarbonTi hubs on my Wanker Wheels, but only available from overseas. The Daily Driver Mavics need some investigation.

moorey

call me Mia
A bit of Hamboing shows both drivers are available for the CarbonTi hubs on my Wanker Wheels, but only available from overseas. The Daily Driver Mavics need some investigation.
They can’t be true wanker wheels if they came with HG driver.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
e13 Helix R cassette in XD driver is 9-50, that what I put on my Spur and it works really well. Comes in orange too.

I also went Race Face Next SL's with XT derailleur and shifter.

Picked the cassette up from bike components for about 200 euros. A bit more expensive here.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
There are too many posts saying the same thing that I CBF reading, so I'm just going to blindly shout my opinion into the void:

XT M8100 shifter and derailleur, XD driver on your wheels with Garbaruk 12sp 10-48 cassette. Cranks just get whatever depending on your appetite for carbon, budget, weight-weenie requirements or aesthetic taste (thank god no-one makes orange cranks you animal) and put a big ol' 38t ring on there because you are a literal flat-earther.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
There are too many posts saying the same thing that I CBF reading, so I'm just going to blindly shout my opinion into the void:

XT M8100 shifter and derailleur, XD driver on your wheels with Garbaruk 12sp 10-48 cassette. Cranks just get whatever depending on your appetite for carbon, budget, weight-weenie requirements or aesthetic taste (thank god no-one makes orange cranks you animal) and put a big ol' 38t ring on there because you are a literal flat-earther.
So you’re thinking Hope or Ingrid then?

Jpez

Down on the left!
In 11sp, shimano range is ruined by the 11t cog, even with the 46t cassette.
I still love 11sp XT, but can’t praise Felix’s 12sp XT high enough (10-51t cassette).
If you go 11sp, ditch shimano cassette, swap to XD driver and go something like a Garbaruk 10-46 or e13 9-46. The 9-46 has 511% range verses 510% on 12sp 10-51.
changing driver unless you want a lead weight, low end HG cassette.
ahhh. E13. Jury is still out on that. I had a super bent hanger now straightened that I think was giving me pretty average shifting for a big$$ cassette. I’ve not had a chance to ride it since straightened though. If the now straight hanger doesn’t improve the shifting then e13 can eat a bag of dicks.