Drive train options

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
So hypothetically let's say forces beyond my control have required me to relinquish my commitment to a 2x drivetrain. Supply issues aside, what do I get? I have no idea. I haven't built a bike component by component since 1999.

Mechanical 1x is the aim. XT level because, well, because XT, and I need everything, shifter, cranks, derailleur, everything. Di2 is the ducks nutz, but the battery life won't cover the ultra-marathon races I'm working towards. So along those lines I also need the range, 11sp XTR with a long cage will still only go to 46t, officially anyway.

Preferably not SRAM, but I'm open to and XD driver and cassette. My fancy pants race wheels have a HG driver the moment.

Blank canvas people, show me some options

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Seconded. XT 12sp is pretty sweet. Shifts well, massive range, fairly tight and even feeling gear spacing, reliable (for me at least, touch wood). For context, I have full 12sp XTR (except cranks) and full 12sp XT setups, and the only slight difference I can feel is the difference in cassette weight. And that was only when I swapped between them on the Sentinel, for a hardtail XT all the way.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
That's the back end sorted. What about cranks?
Same. XT cranks?
I got SLX to save a few $$. But couldn't beat Shimano cranks for weight/value without looking at high end stuff. Then out goes the value side.

I love the Cannondale hollowgram cranks and the spider chainring.

Or Ingrid! So smooth looking.
https://www.eightyonespices.com.au/product-page/ingrid-crankset-crs-g

Wait .. XC marathons. Does every gram matter?

Or just get eewings if you're up in your crypto holdings this month?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Plus really not keen on carbon mtb cranks.
Me neither. I think e13 do a light alloy version of the xcx too. Ingrid also do different cranks, including some lighter XC style.

I'm sure others will have more ideas though.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
If you must stick with 12 sp
Xtr shifter,
Deore Rd
Xt 10-51 cassette
Xt chain
Xtr cranks

The Equivalent in 11 speed will be a bit cheaper but you will be aiming for a Sunrace 11-50 cassette and a Ybn chain.

If you're made of money, the Cannondale sisl2 cranks will save some weight as will Eewings.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's hard to finish marathons when one crank arm has fallen off. I'm sure E-13 are just the new 'skunk works' at Crank Brothers, scouring AliExpress to put a brand name on rubbish products.

As everyone else has said, XT 12 speed is hard to beat. I've got both XT&XTR and there's no difference except a few hundred dollars for not much weight saving in the cassette. I would go so far as to say that the XT mechs are a bit more robust as the cage seems to be made of a material with a rockwell rating higher than cream cheese unlike XTR.
I've got MT900 cranks on my Bird which are supposed to be XTR cranks without the fancy bits, to be honest I can't see much difference between those and XT.
So yeah, Ali Express sourced XT 12 speed FTW.

Scotty675

Cable thief
XT 12 speed would be my recommendation. I’ve run xt, Xtr and mt900. Weight savings are mainly in the cassette and chainring if your looking a weight savings. Mt 900 are xt cranks with an Xtr chainring. They are best value cranks (or were) hard to find now. Shifter jump between xt and Xtr isn’t a big one. Was a worth while upgrade with 11 speed but questionable for the price with 12. Derailleur I’d go xt and wait for the new medium cage if you can. I’ve got Xtr but only because I only run 10-45.
You could go 12speed with a garbaruk cassette and not have to change wheels.
You could also stay 11 speed and change cage on your Xtr derailleur and have option of 11-50 cassette (if they fit di2).
I might be interested in your di2 and trade some 12 speed kit also. For no other reason than I haven’t tried di2.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Xtr shifter,
Deore Rd
Xt 10-51 cassette
Xt chain
Xtr cranks

The Equivalent in 11 speed will be a bit cheaper but you will be aiming for a Sunrace 11-50 cassette and a Ybn chain.

If you're made of money, the Cannondale sisl2 cranks will save some weight as will Eewings.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Any particular reason why you recommend the XT chain @Oddjob? Not intending to hijack the thread, just curious, as I've read somewhere that it's highly desirable to run XTR chains on Shimano 12-speed as they're much more durable - something about XTR having SIL-TEC surface treatment on the rollers plus the inner and outer plates while XT only has it on the outer plates.

From my own experience with the SRAM requivalent GX vs X01 Eagle chains, I won't buy another GX chain again. It's amazing how much faster they elongate vs the X01 spec.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
So yeah, Ali Express sourced XT 12 speed FTW.
So no issues coming from Ali Express? It's the only place I can find any of it.

Not fussed 11sp vs 12sp, but I know 12 will cover the range I already have with 2x, I crunched the numbers when 12sp, first came out.

1x will make it easier to have a daily/training gearing set and a dedicated race gearing set.

moorey

call me Mia
, I crunched the numbers when 12sp, first came out.
In 11sp, shimano range is ruined by the 11t cog, even with the 46t cassette.
I still love 11sp XT, but can’t praise Felix’s 12sp XT high enough (10-51t cassette).
If you go 11sp, ditch shimano cassette, swap to XD driver and go something like a Garbaruk 10-46 or e13 9-46. The 9-46 has 511% range verses 510% on 12sp 10-51.
11sp 11-46 shimano cassette has a shite 411%.
You can drop a front ring size for better climbing range and still get your top end speed.
No matter what you do in 12sp, you’re changing driver unless you want a lead weight, low end HG cassette.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Agree that pricing is a bit ridiculous though...
To be fair, it's only ~$100-200 above what an XTR groupset (without brakes) costs these days. And pretty sure the lead-times on an XTR cassettes are mental currently...