Dream MTB

Brow

Big Block
What is your dream MTB?

This is not an argument over what is best and I know this is personal opinion.

Can be custom build or out of the box, cost no object, anything goes but bike or parts must be available in shops and one bike only.

I only start this because I am curious and sitting here having a beer, Coopers pale ale, after my ride today and thinking about this subject, I do not know what I would have or build as my dream bike.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
A Yeti SB5.5c with a bottle cage inside the frame. Full Di2 XTR, just a Pike & cheaper, quality carbon runs laced to CK hubs.

That would be my dream bike.

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
A light Nicolai GBoxx bike. Actually, make it 2 (rules are made to broken). Throw a heap of money at them to make them light and strong. Get NASA involved if need be. One at 160mm, one at 200mm. That's all.

Light is a relative term here.

Last edited:

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I wish Thylacine Cycles still were around, I would love to buy one. They have always floated my boat, partly because they are custom made titanium in Australia, partly because I'm from Tassie. After my bike got stolen I was toying with the idea of going for a custom titanium hadtail. Sadly Baum have a 10 month waiting list and I'll get way too fat in 10 months.

Actually anyone know if the guy who used to make them is still around?

jarrod839

Banned
I love my banshee legend and its pretty much my dream build until I saw the 2017 Saracen myst frame im bout 70% there on pulling the pin.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are way too many to choose from but here goes.
Ibis Mojo3 in a beautiful bright colour
Ibis wide 741 carbon rims and CK hubs
Eagle XX1 drivetrain
XTR brakes
Lev integra
Pike RCT3 fork
Bontrager XR4 front / XR3 rear team issue...

I've never ridden one, I just love the look of them.

At the moment my FS 26" seems to be winning ride time over the better specified 29"...

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Right now I have my heart set on a Canyon Strive AL 6.0 Race. That should be more than enough to handle anything that I, at nearly 47 years old, am willing to attempt for the rest of my mountain biking life.

If I was going to build or buy anything beyond that, it would be for my son. He's only been doing proper mountain biking since February, and he's already a better rider than I've ever been, or probably ever will be. From what I've seen, anyway; usually he's too far ahead of me for me to see what he's doing. Right now he fancies a Strive CF 8.0 Race. Hopefully I can help him out with that.

stirk

Burner
My dream MTB is the one I keep upgrading!

IMG_20161030_212904-480x873.jpg

To date the only original parts on this bike are the cranks, dropper, saddle and shock. All parts will keep cycling and be upgraded until ultimately the frame is replaced and any parts with the frame that don't work with the new standards.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
My dream MTB is the one I keep upgrading!

View attachment 333208

To date the only original parts on this bike are the cranks, dropper, saddle and shock. All parts will keep cycling and be upgraded until ultimately the frame is replaced and any parts with the frame that don't work with the new standards.

this is one way to hide expenditure from the wife

stirk

Burner
this is one way to hide expenditure from the wife
Our lives depend on reliable parts so old worn out gear needs to be replaced!

All the old spare parts are in storage waiting for a new frame to call home ;) n+ rule

Except the front derailleur, nobody wants that. Reminds me to list it for free just to get rid of the thing.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I dream of a bike that is bullet proof in the mud. think of a mid July weeknight, it's 10pm, pissing down rain in Melbourne, it's 5 degrees.

gearbox or gear hub.
~11kg.
carbon everything.
integrated lights with a modest 4000 lumens.
boots covering all stanchions
27.5 and 29 options
twin E4 calipers per wheel for zero fade in the mud/rain.

don't want much do I?

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
1. Evil the Following.

2. Yeti SB4.5C.

3. Pivot 429 Trail.

XTR drivetrains, hope brakes, wide carbon hoops with DT hubs etc...

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
A bottom bracket mounted gearbox is the dream...

...to get rid of all that unsprung weight of the rear derailleur and massive ever growing cassette, is where it has to go. Everyone carries on about getting rid of the evil front derailleur, but it's the one that has centralised sprung mass, unlike all the crap hanging off the rear wheel.

With a bottom bracket mounted gearbox... the chain-line will be perfect and wont slap and it will actually last, possibly much longer if it gets o-rings ala motorcycles... and even better, the rear wheel will be actually light, so the suspension will have half a chance and so the bikes will handle much better.

Bring it on...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Something custom from English cycles or by:stickel or Black Cat Cycles... built up with no expense spared bling.

My trail riding could be sorted with an off the shelf 2017 9.9 Fuel EX.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I built my dream bike. After riding it I decided I needed a dream dh bike, so I built that too. Then i realised I needed something in between...now I'm building that. So many dreams.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
right now...

A Seven 622m SLX, 26inch (with a straight down tube and the same geo as my Zaskar)
XTR Di2 (3x11 just because I can)
Probably track down another Marzocchi Corsa SL fork

Thats today...next month, maybe something different

John U

MTB Precision
A bottom bracket mounted gearbox is the dream...

...to get rid of all that unsprung weight of the rear derailleur and massive ever growing cassette, is where it has to go. Everyone carries on about getting rid of the evil front derailleur, but it's the one that has centralised sprung mass, unlike all the crap hanging off the rear wheel.

With a bottom bracket mounted gearbox... the chain-line will be perfect and wont slap and it will actually last, possibly much longer if it gets o-rings ala motorcycles... and even better, the rear wheel will be actually light, so the suspension will have half a chance and so the bikes will handle much better.

Bring it on...
Something like this?
http://m.pinkbike.com/news/article2106.html