Don't Buy a Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Carbon

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm waiting for my new GG Trail Pistol to emerge from the Frame Maker 3000, lead time is 5-7 weeks and I'm at the end of week 5 now.
I need to finalise a few last items on the spec list, suggestions appreciated. At this point I just need a stem, bars and tyres I reckon. I went with the powder coated black / silver stickers so I think I'm going to go with a monochrome kind of look. Pikes are silver lowers, Hopes are black.
I'm trying to get it to be fairly light and lively without being a cross country princess (too late if you ask my son) so I'm sort of torn with tyre choice. I I'm pretty sure I'll run a Mezcal at the back but not certain about the front. Magic Mary? Or a Wild AM? I'm old and don't jump or ride mud so I don't need the RB classic DHF/DHR combo.

Frame - GG Trail Pistol carbon size 2
Rear shock - Topaz 210x55 with custom GG offset linkage
Front shock/fork
- Pike Ultimate 140mm with HC97
Handlebars - Unsure - Race Face carbon 35
Stem - I9 bling bling
Headset - GG included switchy reachy thingo
Grips - Oury Lock On
Saddle - Specialized Phenom Ti
Seatpost - Bike Yoke Revive 185 - in theory ships with remote so I may not need to purchase one
Front brake - Hope E4, Swiss Stop 180mm, Race Matrix Pads
Rear brake - Hope E4, Swiss Stop 180mm, Race Matrix Pads
Cranks - Shimano MT900 12 speed
Chain - XTR 12 speed
Pedals - XTR
Rear derailleur - XTR 12 speed
Rear shifter - XTR 12 speed
Cassette - XTR 12 speed
Front hub - DT Swiss 350 CL
Rear hub - DT Swiss 350 CL 54T
Front rim - NOBL TR33
Rear rim - NOBL TR33
Spokes - DT Swiss whatever
Nipples - Brass
Tyres - Rear - Mezcal 2.35 x 29?
- Front - Michelin Wild AM 29x2.35

Total weight - 12kg ish?

Last edited:

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Handlebars, I'd go the One Up components. I'm hearing great things from a mate who owns a set.

And you'll love that damper on the Pike. :D
I'm still trying to get the settings right on it now, on bigger impacts it's like butter but still a bit stiff for trail chatter. It's like the harder I ride it the better it gets, but I'm yet to ride it through any serious chunder.
Off to google one up bars now!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The Spank Vibrocores are pretty sweet. Worth noting that the rise and sweep of the Spike and bars to the Trail/Oozy bars are different. For my 2c I prefer the fractionally lower rise and more sweep of the Spikes.

Very keen to read your feedback on this frame. Looks like a real sweet-spot candidate for my riding.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Very keen to read your feedback on this frame. Looks like a real sweet-spot candidate for my riding.
You hold up right there son! No fancy carbon GG bikes for you! I’ve already got a sticker kit made up for the OG alloy gg that says- pilot: Beeb.
no going back now ;)

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Spank Vibrocores are pretty sweet. Worth noting that the rise and sweep of the Spike and bars to the Trail/Oozy bars are different. For my 2c I prefer the fractionally lower rise and more sweep of the Spikes.

I have Spank Spike bars on my bike and find them to be very, very stiff. Just FYI

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm still trying to get the settings right on it now, on bigger impacts it's like butter but still a bit stiff for trail chatter. It's like the harder I ride it the better it gets, but I'm yet to ride it through any serious chunder.
Off to google one up bars now!
The benefit and drawback of loads of adjustability with the HC97. Mine's great everywhere in the Lyrik.

Unfortunately, I doubt sharing my setting would help given the other variables.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Magic Mary? Or a Wild AM?
Have owned both...Wild AM is way faster rolling then MM. MM I would only choose for loose or soft dirt, it's not great on hardpack.

I generally run Wild AM/Force AM as a fast combo on a short travel trail bike. It's a combo that works on 100km XC rides, and chairlift days at Thredbo. Obviously there are better combos for either end of the spectrum, but these are a good compromise. Occasionally I'll run a RockR2 up front but that tyre really slows things down.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have owned both...Wild AM is way faster rolling then MM. MM I would only choose for loose or soft dirt, it's not great on hardpack.

I generally run Wild AM/Force AM as a fast combo on a short travel trail bike. It's a combo that works on 100km XC rides, and chairlift days at Thredbo. Obviously there are better combos for either end of the spectrum, but these are a good compromise. Occasionally I'll run a RockR2 up front but that tyre really slows things down.
Cheers for the tip, I'm a huge fan of the Michelin tyres although my young bloke seems to ruin the soft ones pretty quickly. I had the MM left over from when I purchased my last bike and took it off because it should be on a CRF450 not a mountain bike.

One-Up don't have any 35mm stems in stock, I was hoping to get the bar/stem/grip combo. I should probably do some measuring before I purchase a stem though.

The benefit and drawback of loads of adjustability with the HC97. Mine's great everywhere in the Lyrik.

Unfortunately, I doubt sharing my setting would help given the other variables.
Yeah, just more fiddling.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I got the 35mm/35mm OneUp carbon bars on my Highlander, they feel really good.

Stem, I went Spank Split this time, mainly picked on its looks, can be bought for under $100 from Ze Germans, sitting around the $150 here.

Comes in 35mm, 40mm, 45mm and 50mm.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Frame is due to be finished next week but GG have contacted me and have informed me that there is a delay with the stickers for the frame. I can have last year's stickers, or wait for the MY2021 stickers to arrive.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GG just contacted me, it's going to be another three weeks for the stickers.
I had the option of getting the older model stickers but they are a bit bland so I suppose I'll have to wait. I did consider asking for a bare frame and stickers in the mail but I can't put a stamp on a letter without fucking it up so that's just too risky for me and my total lack of skill.

ozzybmx

I did consider asking for a bare frame and stickers in the mail
You should, better looking at a fully built bike with the wrong coloured decals that waiting 3 more weeks and realising you were sent an incorrect part and a longer wait.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You should, better looking at a fully built bike with the wrong coloured decals that waiting 3 more weeks and realising you were sent an incorrect part and a longer wait.
Yeah but I'd rather wait than have crinkled up stickers that don't line up correctly! I'd fuck them up for sure, you should see me put racing numbers on my GTR it's a running joke with my mates that I always fuck it up and the marshals can't tell what number it's supposed to be.

Yeah it's the new all carbon one.

ozzybmx

Just like fitting invisitape frame protection tape, spray with soapy water and position correctly.

Though if you have problems licking a stamp...