DIY tubeless pump

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I'm not sure that either of my track pumps can deliver air quick enough for tubeless, there just seems to be too much resistance. There must be some small diameter bits in there somewhere making it hard. That makes me think it could be DIY time. The plan is to get some 90mm PVC, turn down a piece of pine for a plunger and cap the ends. It should be pretty easy to make up a couple of one way valves out of flaps of rubber.

Am I being silly or could this work? Should I be reserving space in the confessions thread?

halfstroke

Likes Bikes
I hear spraying Start Ya Bastard or equivalent inside the tyre and rim and setting it ablaze will seat the most difficult tyres with ease, if you try this make sure you film it so you can show us how effective this method is.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Two things...

Thing number one... if you put a tube inside a new folding tyre, pump it up nice and big, leave it overnight... and it will often go up with a track pump the next day when you install it.

Thing number two... just buy a compressor, they are cheap as chips and once you have one, you'll use it for all sorts of stuff. Super handy.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
Thing number two... just buy a compressor, they are cheap as chips and once you have one, you'll use it for all sorts of stuff. Super handy.
As Lazmo says,just get a compressor, mine cost $50 at Bunnings.
...same thing i told freediver yesterday. he hates this sort of advice...realistic/practical :D
if i was you id encourage him to go the diy route as it couldnt be that hard right?...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I always find myself wanting to run the compressor at 11pm when everyone is asleep.

I've a stuffed hand held air compressor I've been meaning to add a Schrader valve to its 5L tank so I can hook the hand pump up to it

Flow-Rider

Burner
If you can get hold of a split tube it can make life a lot easier but a normal one suffice. You always come across a stubborn tyre that doesn't like to mount even with a compressor.

tube.JPG

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Another vote for the Airshot. i've got one and while I don't use it every time as my track pump (10 yr old Topeak Joe-Blow) seems to be pretty good at getting most tyres up, the Airshot quickly finishes off the other stubborn ones.

Plus, it's a million times more portable that a compressor, I take it on every trip I go on.

treble

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the link Ozdavo, A 5 litre DIY mains pressure PVC version is happening.
Its funny, I was actually wandering around the plumbing section in Bunnings last night thinking I could make a nice tubeless inflator with some of the bits and pieces they have there. Might knock one up too when i get some free time.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I'm giving the glue 24 hours before I give it a go. It looks pretty sweet, almost like something Link would make. The final bit I need is the hose clamp that's coming courtesy of St. Vincent's dialysis unit tomorrow morning. They throw them away by the ton.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Well it worked for one tyre but it started to leak when it hit around 50 psi. "No worries" I say to myself and I pour some (a lot of) pvc cement in thinking it will solve the problem. I really didn't know it would melt the end cap.