Dishwasher

scblack

Leucocholic
Hi guys, well off-topic for MTB site, but I have to replace my dishwasher.

Its an under-bench freestanding setup.

The kitchen is open plan to the living room. Thus looking for one as QUIET as possible.

Any recommendations for a good quality, Quiet dishwasher?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Don't go real cheap and get one with a plastic lining; it starts to smell over time.

I like ones with a cutlery tray at the top as opposed to the basket. Check for good support for loose wine glasses, and make sure large dinner plates fit if you have them.

I've had disappointing experiences with Bosch and Smeg, mid to high end Miele is great if in budget.

I'd go something like this:

https://shop.miele.com.au/en/kitche...-6722-scu-built-under-dishwashers-zid10470790

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The workplace asko cops a fair beating and seems to do well. Pretty quiet to the point someotimes people interrupt the cycle because they don't realise it's on.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Also worth checking with your plumber on how the drain is installed.

Depending on that setup you can have loud gurgling noises when it drains regardless of how quite the wash cycle is.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Don't go real cheap and get one with a plastic lining; it starts to smell over time.

I like ones with a cutlery tray at the top as opposed to the basket. Check for good support for loose wine glasses, and make sure large dinner plates fit if you have them.

I've had disappointing experiences with Bosch and Smeg, mid to high end Miele is great if in budget.

I'd go something like this:

https://shop.miele.com.au/en/kitche...-6722-scu-built-under-dishwashers-zid10470790
I've had the opposite experience. Hated the Miele we have in our rental and loved the mid to high end Bosch with the extra cutlery tray at the top.

The Turkish made Bosch is a fair whack cheaper than the german made but doesn't seem to give a lot away in quality from our experience with the dishwasher and the clothes washer.

Also check out Choice.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

scblack

Leucocholic
Current one is a Fisher & Paykel, been good for over 15years. Metal interior. I'm not looking for cheap.

F&P or Bosch is my thinking so far.

I will be installing myself, old boss is a plumber by trade, so get tips there.

Choice is a good tip, I signed on when I bought my clothes washer and it really helped. Stopped me buying a front loader.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Bosch of German origin is solid IME with my last 2 houses. Not sure if they will be the quietest though, I'm sure some of the cheaper brands target the 'quietness' marketing but don't necessarily have the quality.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Our Bosch was great and lasted over 10 years. When it died and was no longer worth fixing, we looked around and picked up a factory second from delonghi online. It was $200 delivered. It is not as good as the Bosh but for $200 it was a bargain and it will do until we find another Bosch at a good price.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I've had the opposite experience. Hated the Miele we have in our rental and loved the mid to high end Bosch with the extra cutlery tray at the top.

The Turkish made Bosch is a fair whack cheaper than the german made but doesn't seem to give a lot away in quality from our experience with the dishwasher and the clothes washer.

Also check out Choice.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Same for me. Horrible experience with Miele with the 2 dishwashers and 2 washing machines I've dealt with both crapping out well before their time. Add to the the exorbitant cost of a mechanic call out (before they even fix the damn thing) and I steer well clear of them now.

The German made Bosch I now have is excellent. Quiet, cleans well and when it did give me trouble the service to fix it was hassle-free. That wasn't even the fault of the dishwasher itself though, just goddamn cockroaches getting in the mainboard and crapping on it. A quick coat inside the door with surface spray every year seems to fix that.

It's about 6yrs in now, and that was the only hiccough. Same story on the Bosch clothes washer (minus the cockroach induced failure).

Also steer clear of Asko if you want quiet. Sounds like a freight train.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Bosch here too. Last one died and it looked like ant or cockroach infected board failure. Thus no chance of warranty. Washer was out of warranty anyway so we replaced it. Seller suggested getting the repair guy to look at the old one anyway because some of the boards are cheap. So we swapped the new for old and arranged to get the old checked out. Board was replaced, deemed warranty somehow and now that washer is at my nephew's place running without a problem. That one is now 7 years old.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Another recommendation for Bosch from me too, @scblack. I had exactly the same need as you several years ago. Kitchen and lounge all in one space, and the old F&P dishwasher was just too noisy. Researched at the time and due to space constraints under the bench, had to go integrated and went for this one. Only 44dB running which is pretty darn quiet when you're next to it. Freestanding Series 6 models are just as quiet. Don't get the series 4 though as they aren't German made. The top cutlery drawer in them is bloody awesome too, shits all over the basket type machines.

Moved house since then and can't wait for the Miele dishwasher in the new place to shit itself so I can get another Bosch!

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Great choice! We have a few generations old Series 8. Looks like they have added anti finger print coating to the new ones and fixed the print rubbing off on the TFT panel. Apart from those 2 things ours has been a great machine.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I actually also bought a Bosch ceramic stove top before the dish washer and it's been good too, I had a Blanco stove top before that and I had to send the Sparky there a few times to fix it, switches and elements would go on it all the time. Still got the Blanco oven and it's on the 3rd element in 14 years.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
don't buy anything LG, their products are just slightly better than their customer service..which can be described as Woeful at best
as stated before, F&P and Bosch are good runners, also consider Westinghouse as a good option at a good price point.