NSW Dirt Required for Pump Track Build

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
The design for the pump track in my back yard has been approved and construction is set to start early December.
Does anyone in the Newcastle/Maitland area have two hundred odd cubic meters of reasonable quality track building dirt they want to offload?

Synergy005.jpg

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well done sir. That concept looks mint. Is this private land or public land? If public I recommend considering the bmx track approach to creating bulk...

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
It's my back yard so it's mostly private but depends what tree you pick to hide in, you'll get okay views from most of them.

I'm rather looking forward to it actually, mowing that piece of grass has been my bane for the last nine years.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
If the 200 cubes is calculated on jump and berm volume, you'll want at least half as much again, if not double, depending on soil type, once it's compacted.

If that render is to scale, you'll probably need 1000m3....

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Yes dirt does have that fluff factor that needs to be considered, there is a bit of cutting to be done and not a heap of options to stockpile so we intended to start with the two hundred and then truck in more as needed.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What about "clean" fill for a base? Or old tyres (as per many a box track)?

Your house is an interesting design, thus my question over the land.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Are you building it or is a company doing for you? What dirt is under the site atm? You can get lots of dirt and get drainage at the same time :evil:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Synergy have provided the concept and are engaged to complete the works. The existing dirt mainly consists of large rocks, you don't get much below 400mm out here before you hit rock. A major part of the approval was extensive and eye pleasing landscaping so unfortunately "drainage to rival the trenches of Gallipoli" shall not be considered an option to source the dirt required.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Surely your approving officer could appreciate a good pond system? Include a lovely water feature, some various lilies and lotus, a meditation Island, various blossoming trees around and some fish...you might scrape in.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Rocks sux.... I'd say you're stuck between a rock and a hard place...haha *sorry* ........ and what ever you do, don't do the fish!! we got fish in a pond, you gotta feed them, birds will come eat them, then you got to make a net to cover the pond to stop them, and then ............... and then..................and then.............. haha.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Rocks sux.... I'd say you're stuck between a rock and a hard place...haha *sorry* ........ and what ever you do, don't do the fish!! we got fish in a pond, you gotta feed them, birds will come eat them, then you got to make a net to cover the pond to stop them, and then ............... and then..................and then.............. haha.
You must have small fish or large birds?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Kookaburras are surprisingly ambitious.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
One of my favourite birds.

View attachment 341309
murderers...... the lot of them!!!!! :mmph:
That's not going to pull out a 50cm koi or a full grown bass though. The trouble will be getting them up to size. Or view this as an opportunity to raise up some wonderful wetland birds. Maybe even a pelican!

One of the rock ledges I fish has a large sea eagle nesting in the cliffs behind. Amazing bird to watch! It will grab reasonable sized fish like salmon tailor or bonito from the water when they are there. It also likes to swoop down and take your catch from the rock pools!

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
One of my favourite birds.

That's not going to pull out a 50cm koi or a full grown bass though. The trouble will be getting them up to size. Or view this as an opportunity to raise up some wonderful wetland birds. Maybe even a pelican!

One of the rock ledges I fish has a large sea eagle nesting in the cliffs behind. Amazing bird to watch! It will grab reasonable sized fish like salmon tailor or bonito from the water when they are there. It also likes to swoop down and take your catch from the rock pools!
Koi,, do you think I reside in a Japanese garden?? haha. The pond has lil gold fish with the biggest ones being as big as your hand. Lots of toddlers. Those egrets are sneaky little devils, they loiter around looking pretty scratching themselves, then the next thing you know there's a gold fish in their beak. Even a crazy Mrs swinging a broom is no deterrent,, haha.

Anyway, back on topic :high5:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You're the one putting bait out for them...time to upsize.

Special Coke, how far are you from any sizeable property developments? There is usually plenty of digging going on for housing estates.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
You're the one putting bait out for them...time to upsize.

Special Coke, how far are you from any sizeable property developments? There is usually plenty of digging going on for housing estates.
The latest Thornton expansion is somewhat close by... trouble is finding the time to get over there and aligning the stars with an obliging contractor, also a recent change in the Port Stephens council bylaws now allows all the locals holding onto land on the flood-plane to build on elevated pads so there is a large demand for "clean fill", problem is this also brings with it increased surveillance in the area by the EPA for illegal dumping... which is a category that any non-certified dirt falls into and carries a 5k on the spot fine, plus clean up costs, plus blah.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
IMO certified clean fill is very important. One of your neighbours rings the council and you've potentially got lots of problems. I've had alot of dealings with BMX tracks over the last few years and there has been big issues when some clubs have brought in un certified fill. Are you after fill that's free or are you willing to pay? Have a look at some of the dirt merchants in your area, talk to construction/excavation companies/contractors. Alot of times you can get the fill for free as it's cheaper for them to get certify it and give it to you. Also, it's very important the kind of fill you get. There's lots of different stuff you can build out of and surface with. With the clubs, generally how it works is that they will have a member or a contact that's in construction/excavation. They will let them know that they want fill and how much, the company/person will then keep an eye out till they come across some. This is where it's important, it's good if the guy that's getting the fill knows what stuff is good, otherwise you can end up with truck loads of ROCKS with a bit of dirt mixed in. I know of one track that had to wait 6mths-1yr before their guy came across the right stuff. When you get the fill, you need to keep the option open to reject it or inspect it before it gets delivered. This is where paying for it potentially could be a better way to go. Just my 2c

Will the pump track stay dirt? I mean what's your plans for the finish product? will you be maintaining it? gonna get the whole thing tar? tar corners?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Gone are the good old days...I remember the bmx track from my teen years being dug up and redesigned. They had crushed cars and piles of tyres as the body for the jumps and berms.