Direct Mount Front derailleur Sram equivalent in Shimano

woolybeast

Likes Dirt
had a bit of a search through the forum but couldn't find anything so I throw it open to all.

I am building up a 2012 Specialized Enduro Evo and will be transferring just about all of the running gear from my previous build (2005 Stumpjumper FSR) which has all fairly new Shimano XT/XTR on it.

The only thing I can't change over is the front derailleur as the new build has a direct mount and the Stumpy has a clamp mount. The Enduro originally came with a SRAM X7, S1 direct mount for DMD (according to the Specialized website) but the 2 specialized shops I when to today could not tell me what Shimano FD I could substitute?

One store told me that Sram had 10 different direct mounts available and the other said that there is only a high or low direct mount FD. Neither could tell me which Shamano I could use but could tell me that the S1 was the type of mount it required.

Any info would be great as someone has surely swapped over brands.

Greg

Joel_32

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure an XT e,type derailleur without the bottom section will work rather than shimano's actual direct mount version.

gc49

Likes Bikes
This comes up every few months. Here's my post from last month on it in the "What front derailleur type?" thread. If it's S1, which the Specialized site says it is, I'm not sure there is a Shimano compatible one (which could be played out by the fact none of the Enduro versions that year had a Shimano version, though most of the others had one at least on the top end if not through the range). Possible an old style E-type might work (with the BB mount), but I'd not bet on it myself;

Direct Mount
Direct mount derailleurs are mountain bike versions of a braze-on – only way more complicated. All braze-on derailleurs from Campagnolo, Shimano, SRAM or FSA will fit all braze-on frames because they use the same standard. Direct mount derailleurs however come in S1, S2, S3 (E2) and H0. They are replacing e-type derailleurs on a lot of modern bikes because they are lighter weight and with press fit bottom brackets such as BB30, e-types will simply not work. The popularity of carbon mountain frames have also increased the need for direct mount derailleurs because like the braze-on derailleurs for road they eliminate the band clamp which can be a point of stress and failure (if over tightened) on the seat tube. Direct mount derailleurs are chainring specific because they can’t be raised or lowered and must be installed before you install the crankset on most frames.

Direct mount by style:

1.S1: frames are the easiest to determine because at 42.7mm they have the widest spacing between the bolt holes. Example of a frame that uses this mount is the 2009 Specialized Epic.

2.S2: frames can be confused with S3 frames because they both use 22.1mm spacing but the mounting surface for the S2 is flush.

3.S3/E2: is the standard that Shimano currently uses exclusively. The S3/E2 will be referred to E-Type without backplate. Most of the current Shimano E-Type can be converted to direct mount by removing the 2 screws that hold the backplate onto the derailleur; these holes will become the mount point to the frame. S3/E2 derailleurs have 22.1mm spacing like the S2 but the forward bolt has an offset of 5mm toward the drive side. Currently some of the companies that use this mount are Pivot, Cannondale, Specialized (with an adapter) and Yeti.

4.H0: or High Direct Mount derailleur is designed to fit frames with the older E1 E-type single bolt, because of the location of this mount the H0 uses a traditional style derailleur body instead of the topswing design found on the other mount styles. Rotation is eliminated by the curved back of the derailleur in most cases although some versions use a second bolt.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
good post gc49 - my Jekyll came with a SRAM X7 direct mount front derailleur that I believe is an S3/E2 - I swapped it for a Shimano XTR E-type without the backplate and it fit straight up. So there is a SRAM equivalent to S3/E2, I just don't know if you can buy it or if it's OEM only.

OP - sorry I have no idea which part you need, I was hoping just to add some info to gc49's post. Good luck.

woolybeast

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the great info gc49.

The frame definitely needs the S1 type and was told at one of the shops that the Sram FD should work with the Shimano shifter. Only the rear won't. Is this right?