Di2Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

moorey

call me Mia
In my experience the 11-46 has all the durability of brie, plus it's too heavy. Does shift really nicely with Shimano derailleurs though I'll give it that.
11-46 range is the down side. Tempted to go there for his backup wheels at times, but I know he loves the top end speed of a smaller cog.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
11-46 range is the down side. Tempted to go there for his backup wheels at times, but I know he loves the top end speed of a smaller cog.
Not big enough? I oscillate between a 32T and 30T on the front and with a 30T it'll grunt up anything. Does spin out though.

It sucks Shimano never made the XTR 11-40 cassette in a bigger range. It's basically indestructible and so nice to use but I think Shimano always intended it to be a 2x system so there was never a bigger version offered.

cammas

Seamstress
Where did you source the Sunrace cassette? I’ve been looking for a while and everyone is out of stock, currently running the Sunrace 11-46 just wouldn’t mind a little more top end and I like the 46, as me and hills do not get along :rolleyes:

moorey

call me Mia
Where did you source the Sunrace cassette? I’ve been looking for a while and everyone is out of stock, currently running the Sunrace 11-46 just wouldn’t mind a little more top end and I like the 46, as me and hills do not get along :rolleyes:
At the time, wiggle I think. Can’t find another in XD now unfortunately.
If you’re able to XD, 9-42 ZTTO is floating my boat….but you’d need to shrink front ring obviously. I have various sizes to play with.

moorey

call me Mia
Not big enough? I oscillate between a 32T and 30T on the front and with a 30T it'll grunt up anything. Does spin out though.

It sucks Shimano never made the XTR 11-40 cassette in a bigger range. It's basically indestructible and so nice to use but I think Shimano always intended it to be a 2x system so there was never a bigger version offered.
I’ve got an 11-40 XTR on the XC version of my Five with 32 up front. It’s got all the climbing range I need, just lacks top end. Nice cassette but.

The 9t changes the range from 380% to 466% when swapping 11-42 to 9-42. That’s no small top end gain.

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
I’m the one needing a new frame thanks. Can you impulse buy something 150mm, alloy, 450mm reach, non mullet then abandon the project? TIA
[/QUOTE]

I'll see what I can find. But lets be clear. I never abandon projects. I see them through and then instantly lose interest in them. Like I do with people and forums.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Craigos, I think your projecting what worked for you onto Felix.
he from the sounds of it, rides harder and much faster than you or I ever did. And now you’re expecting your casserole of a drivetrain mix to last longer than a week. If it’s not working as per the manufacturer specs and installed correctly then that is grounds for warranty. If it’s all top end speed he’s chasing get him fitter and put/ keep a 34 on front.

Your hate for 12 speed I really don’t understand, it’s a proven on World Cup level racing across multiple disciplines as well as many happy punters (me included). I think you’ve probably spent more money and time with your experiments that just buying a 12 speed group set and being done with it.
If expense of parts is an issue put on a 12 speed deore until his riding improves to where he’s not constantly breaking shit. And with the money you’ve saved get him some lessons with pro, I believe you’re never too good to take on further advice.

It’s 2021 and bikes have honestly never been better.

Except Shimano brakes and the plastic master cylinders. FUCK YOU SHIMANO.

Lucaw

Next in line
Sounds like a plan...let me know when you've reversed back to the point at which you realise you need a new frame. That way, you can start the process all over again...I'm telling you, those 10speed XTR shifters are smoother than Rolf Harris at a school prom.
They are indeed, I just don’t think the shifter is the issue. More the tension on the cable and the additional bends in the routing. It’s a stunning frame. Felix loves it, rides it like he stole it, and I’ll work it out.
I’m the one needing a new frame thanks. Can you impulse buy something 150mm, alloy, 450mm reach, non mullet then abandon the project? TIA
[/QUOTE]
so full 29?

moorey

call me Mia
Craigos, I think your projecting what worked for you onto Felix.
he from the sounds of it, rides harder and much faster than you or I ever did. And now you’re expecting your casserole of a drivetrain mix to last longer than a week. If it’s not working as per the manufacturer specs and installed correctly then that is grounds for warranty. If it’s all top end speed he’s chasing get him fitter and put/ keep a 34 on front.

Your hate for 12 speed I really don’t understand, it’s a proven on World Cup level racing across multiple disciplines as well as many happy punters (me included). I think you’ve probably spent more money and time with your experiments that just buying a 12 speed group set and being done with it.
If expense of parts is an issue put on a 12 speed deore until his riding improves to where he’s not constantly breaking shit. And with the money you’ve saved get him some lessons with pro, I believe you’re never too good to take on further advice.

It’s 2021 and bikes have honestly never been better.

Except Shimano brakes and the plastic master cylinders. FUCK YOU SHIMANO.
Au contraire.....It all lasts for ever, none of this is the drivetrain or the bikes fault, it's mine, and I know that.
He absolutely rides harder and faster than I ever have/could/will.....and based on a a sample size of 1, the shimano 11sp is about as reliable and bombproof as anything out there. Reliability is the number 1 concern with his enduro racing.
He's not breaking shit. He never has (aside from wheels). I said that earlier. He doesn't need the additional range of the 12sp, and I'm yet to be convinved it's more reliable. When I am, I'll look at it.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Alright going to call pause on the thread for a bit. If anyone actually wants to contribute experiences about electronic shifting I'll open it back up, pretty sure @moorey knows how to set up a regular drivetrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.