Di2Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

moorey

call me Mia
Your rear mounting to the derailleur looks to be wrong.

This should give you some indication of the correct length of cable for the radius you require. Radius is measured from the hanger hole to the frame cable exit. This only applies to shimano outer OT-RS900. If you have a different one the length required is longer.
View attachment 376601
Derailleur is fine. It’s also running 10-46 when 10-42 is recommended for Gs 11sp…adding to B screw tension.
Shifting is mint for a few weeks after fresh cables.

moorey

call me Mia
So it's not set up as per the instructions and spec that shimano require and the shifting is shit?
Shifting isn’t shit. It’s excellent initially despite all the small quirks around running the big cassette, extra B, stiffer clutch and extra bends. It just suffers as soon as the cable gets a bit tired. More finicky sooner than it should be.
Shimano 11sp is idiot proof. I’ve run it across the 12 bike fleet for 6+ years.
Got any di2 tips for me?

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Sigh Non of us know better than the guy making these components.

Also I actually think it might be the cable outer compressing when it's wearing in. The inner cable doesn't stretch, common misconception. - edit: not correct. as @duckmeister stated, inner cable will stretch first, unless your using the rs9000 outer.

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Yeah, you'll also need to buy a battery, wires and control box, a junction box and they have a specific charger too, not just a usb port.

But they are bombproof. 30,000 dusty kilometres and the derailleurs are just as fast and accurate as new.

I've had to replace three wires, all due to my fuckwittery, but at $29 ea to replace, make sure you have enough length so they're not constantly being pulled on. I've broken one shifter module when I crashed and it was rammed through the top tube. If my Bars were 5mm higher it wouldn't have been an issue. Luckily I run 2x so I swapped the LH to the RH side and reprogrammed it to shift the rear instead of the front.

Battery charge lasts forever. I raced a whole 12hr and used ¾ capacity on a 3 year old battery. Battery age is reportedly 3 years average. Guess I'll be finding out soon.

moorey

call me Mia
Yes, but the point being made is that it may be turning to shit so quickly cause you're not running the cable housing the correct bend radius, I think.
I have tried it at various bends/lengths. The way it comes out of the CS makes it a tighter bend also. Coupled with extra b screw pulling it back.
There are numerous things I can do to make it a more stock set up and no doubt improve the situation.
To be clear, it’s not shit. Just gets heavier to shift, and occasionally hesitates to drop down on occasions in some gears. If it was my bike, I’d put up with it…and I’m finicky…I just know Felix is a lot harder on the gear when racing than me.

moorey

call me Mia
Sigh Non of us know better than the guy making these components.
View attachment 376604

Also I actually think it might be the cable outer compressing when it's wearing in. The inner cable doesn't stretch, common misconception.
Sigh. Who said I said it’s stretching?
I know it’s about the outer.
I’m sure you’re just dizzy from backflips but you’re entirely missing the point of my Q ;)

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Sigh. Who said I said it’s stretching?
I know it’s about the outer.
I’m sure you’re just dizzy from backflips but you’re entirely missing the point of my Q ;)
It was just a suggestion as you hadn’t mentioned it.

Nothing to do with the meme, just a bit of troubleshooting for you, but seeing as you’ve already ruled that out you can disregard it:)

moorey

call me Mia
It’s 100% not the bikes fault, it’s the changes I’ve made for the setup and gearing Felix wants.
A 10-42 with reduced clutch pressure would rectify it. I’m about to bang a 9-42 with 32f instead of 34 to test out. Will pretty much retain the range he wants.
I just became di2 curious when it didn’t look that dear. I missed factoring in numerous costs and issues I had no idea about. Maybe one day, not now.
Cheers blokes.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
To be fair, you are kinda looking for a solution to a (perceived) problem of your own making a bit... Di2 might not have issues with cable routing, but that doesn't mean it won't have issues with accommodating excess B-tension, bigger cassette, high cluch tension etc.

Edit: posted the same time. Try the 9-42 and smaller chainring and see how it goes.

moorey

call me Mia
To be fair, you are kinda looking for a solution to a (perceived) problem of your own making a bit...
100%
Though the di2 XT says is designed for 1x 46t….I find the GS acoustic one better for 42 even though other run it 46.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I had full XTR Di2 on my Evil Following, that $800 derailleur used to be in my mind when cutting close to rocks.
It helped that the bike also had PRO Tharsis Di2 stem and bars so it was a wireless cockpit with a headtube mounted battery.
The only place a wire was exposed was the few inches into the derailleur and from frame to rear triangle.

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Seeing I got a mention... still loving the Archer Components setup. Have done some very long rides over multiple days on the one charge. Will be buying another setup to run on the missus build sometime in the new financial year,

moorey

call me Mia
@moorey slight thread derailment but what 10-46 cassette are running? Would that sort of range without going to 12 speed.
460%. 12sp 11-50 is 500%.
I have a 9-46, it is 511%.
The 9-42 is ample, and 460%. Same as 10-46.
9-42 is about to go onto his bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.