DH etiquette

ieatdirt

Squid
thanks for those tips man.
i love mountain biking and am looking forward to racing downhill this season in the VIC State Series.
i have an 07 kona stinky which im building up a bit :)
cheers

dsignr

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the Tips

Hi Guys, thanks for the tips, very helpful, Im new to the scene & every bit of help is appreciated, thanks again.

shcotty

Likes Bikes
the other day i was at long gully and there was a slower person infront of me i yelled out 'rider' he yelled out 'on my right' and i passed him .
i think we both read this thing pretty good

Nathan_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats some good info for people who are starting to race downhill and cross country, i can now use that info into the QLD sunshine series::cool:

jono8117

Cannon Fodder
i agree with kam, the sprt is slowly becoming far too serious, riding is what its all about the mountains the fresh air winning is nothing

Helpers

Just an note with the timers. I have helped out doing the timings for DH. I don't think it is just the races I have been to but riders please... Timers would prefer you do not come and check your times with them while they are still timing.. This makes for a very hard job and confusing. Times have been stuffed up before and there having been confusion between 1st and 2nd place.

If this is the only place where you can get the times at the moment maybe talk to the guys in charge and have the times posted up near the canteen or over near registration.

Other than that you guys are great to watch:)

Autumn_Leaves

Likes Dirt
May be its time we considerd creating some new classes: ie vet sport etc. Or maybe some riders need to just step it up and just stop sandbaging.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fantastic stuff, it's great that someone actually bothered to record what is often the 'unwritten riders code', and these should apply across all competitive bike disciplines!!! I'd recommend any rider read these, and I will.
Cheers!
Hannah

Thanks

Thanks Demo Man,

This really helped as I wasn't sure what to do in some situations, thanks for putting your time and effort into writing this, and hope you keep it up.

Cheers,
Tom

L14M

Likes Bikes
i didnt get round to reading it all but well done i recon that helped alot of people including me. Dont ruin the track for everyone else which includes rubbish!

BOYDSEY

Likes Dirt
Don't know about this one, But what about Spectators? At the race yesterday we had spectators throwing rocks and debris at competitors on the rock garden, We had to stop for half an hour just for them to stop, It can harm racers/riders or damage their bikes or even the track/trail.

Thats my 2c

Oh, By the way, What is Sanbagging?

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Don't know about this one, But what about Spectators? At the race yesterday we had spectators throwing rocks and debris at competitors on the rock garden, We had to stop for half an hour just for them to stop, It can harm racers/riders or damage their bikes or even the track/trail.

Thats my 2c
Thats just wrong, and I don't understand why spectators would do that.

Oh, By the way, What is Sanbagging?
Sandbaggers are competitors whom are obviously too good for the the category they are racing, but race in that category anyway knowing they will do well.

Nobody likes sandbaggers - you know who you are.

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Call the police and have them removed as a public nuisance.

While you are in control of the venue it becomes seen as an "enclosed space" or some such jargon, basically it's viewed similar to private property and you have the right to have trouble makers removed

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Recreational DH

Shuttle Runs.
-Limit your noise: … you and your crew may like your beats or death metal or in some cases Backstreet Boys :rolleyes: … at ear bleeding levels, but chances are residents and likely other riders wont. Lower your tunes when driving around residential streets.
-Watch your language: Yep you just broke the speed of sound, front tapped or scrubbed every boulder or jump or gumby the whole way down … cool, you may want to use other superlatives another the “Fuck” … and “Fuck’n aye” when describing your feats to your mates. But if you must … lower your volume, people up the hill don’t need to know.
-Don’t block resident amenities … what does this mean … Don’t block driveways with your trailers or shuttle rigs. Don’t stop in the middle of the street and speak to the other shuttle crew, therefore blocking the way for all other road users.
-Don’t park in the turning circle … move further down and let the riders pedal to you. … That’s what those $200 point1s are for. Similarly it makes room for other crews and other road users.
-Alter your pick up and drop off points: So you have to pedal a little before you get to the trail head … sooo what, altering drop offs shares the load, so that we aren’t impacting the same residents’ over and over again. It gives them a bit of a break … and often there are better spots that don’t impact anybody at all. Eg, we had about 6 drop offs on one location so if it was about a 20 minute round trip … that’s 2 hrs between uses … that just means that the residents aren’t always seeing a shuttle crew in their front yard every couple of minutes and is enough to reduce the impact to their lives.
-Respect residents: Much like with your own house or those of your parents, this is somebodies neighbourhood and you are just visiting. If you want to keep coming over … respecting other people’s wishes is always a good thing to pay attention to. Saying hello, reducing your impact, offering to move out of their way … all things that good community minded people should do.
-Don’t litter:
-Follow the road rules: Do you really need to lay down some rubber ? Do you really need to blow your horn to say hello or good bye to your mates ?? ... No didn't think so, so why do it.
An- Other beauty ... so your shuttler only has room for 4 peeps and biks ... but there are 6 of you ... should you get the 2 lads you least like to hold on to the side and ride up next to the shuttler ??
Don't ride on tracks that are closed:

Common Sense and Courtesy goes a long way in life

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]