DH etiquette

Squid
Excellent thread. Thank you OP and contributors.

Common sense does not exist. Explicit knowledge passed on in plain English is the only way.

t_byrnz

Likes Dirt
crashing

when u see someone crash in front of you and they are by themselves, see if their alright. Nothing worse than leaving someone behind with a broken bone that needs help.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Just a question about novices on flow trials like Copperhead - not racing, just riding for fun.

This came up as I took my brother in law up to Buller for a few days of riding, while he is a competent XC rider - jumps, higher speeds, slippery gravel means he is a little cautious / slower than the average AM/DH rider, but still having a lot of fun. He didn't say so but he was really apprehensive about holding up faster riders and would veer of the track as soon as someone caught him.

Copperhead is a fun track (especially the lower section) for both novices and fast peeps on DH bikes. I understand and agree that in a race sense slow riders need to let faster riders pass, when safe for both parties to do so, but on a trial like Copperhead which is the most novice friendly DH trail at Buller and directly aimed at that segment of riders, in my view the slower novice has right of way on this trail.

So basically I ran interference behind him - to stop people tailgating him and we stopped at a few set points (abom connection, top of fire road, bottom of fire road - before pump section) to let people past and that was it. This seemed to work out pretty well, enabled him to at least get some rhythm going before we stopped.

Does this make sense?

On a side note when we were off track having a chat or watching other peoples lines in various sections, the majority of people slowed down and yelled out if we needed any help with anything, great reflection of the MTB community as a whole.

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
I understand your point and I think what you did was the right thing but I don't think the slower rider has right of way.

• Faster rider has responsibility to choose a safe overtaking spot;
  • Slower rider has responsibilty to provide room or pull over where appropriate to let faster riders through; and
  • Faster riders shouldn't tailgate/pressure slower riders

Static 81

Likes Bikes
What a great read!
All of these points seem to be straight up common sense. Although it is amazing how far separated humanity has become from common sense.........
Thank you to the OP and everyone who has contributed to this thread.

DarkHlmet

Squid
Perhaps there should be spectator etiquette thread. I have had to call out to spectators walking down the track on a few occasions, even riding around a guy standing in the middle of a corner. I don't think my bike is that quiet either.

bradcol

Cannon Fodder
For someone who is just getting into the mountain bike 'downhill' scene, this thread has been invaluable, thanks to the OP.

phil007

Squid
Well said!

Also with complaining - If you politely state the problem, then ASK how it can be solved, you can quite often get the resolution you are after.

Lach101

Squid
Curtesy

From my experience people need to learn that showing kindness and curtesy can go a long way to everyone including other racers.