Deviate Highlander - more common around here than a Farkin Banshee

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Thanks for posting. Mine is actually pretty light for resistance but that is ridiculously free spinning.

I can back pedal easily and that wasn't the case when I first got it. It would bind up a touch. Keen to see how this goes and how easy it is to install / maintain.

Getting a spare idler makes sense too, just in case.
The Aussie importer carries a full range of spares now according to Deviate UK. I ordered a spare hanger and idler so if anyone needs one quick, I can express post it overnight.

Both bearings on the idler are blind bearings, luckily mine came off with the idler but they wont come out now, the new idler did not seem as tight on the bearings as the one on the bike was... anyhow, ordered this 10 minutes ago, they are 17mm internal so this will keep me right.

Loved the bonus drop-bear too... :D
He ran across the road and had me scrambling to unzip my pocket and start up the GoPro.

ozzybmx

Apparently my idler was the new redesigned version with the side port grease nipple, new bearings and free spinning seals. I wasn't going to bother Deviate again, I already busted his balls over my delivery date.

You can buy semi expensive Enduro Ceramic bearings and many others that are $$$ but I dont know what difference they will make, is the ceramic harder (is that a thing)? are the tolerances tighter ? seals better ?

I ordered the bearing puller last night, will get around to buying a couple more sets of these bearings today as spares.

Might try the dust seals on the idler when I get the puller kit.

I hope they last.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Let me know what puller you get.

Some of the gaps between the frame and the triangle are hard to get to for cleaning, and at some point I'm going to have to disassemble this thing at least to clean it, not sure how long to expect of all the bearings.

ozzybmx

This one - $38

Both the bearing in the idler and the one set into the frame are blind bearings, the 6803 bearing has an inside diameter of 17mm, they are not super tight pressed in, but will need a puller to remove this time.

MTBD have a Cleanskin branded version but the same one is on eBay for $55 instead of $85

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Let me know what puller you get.

Some of the gaps between the frame and the triangle are hard to get to for cleaning, and at some point I'm going to have to disassemble this thing at least to clean it, not sure how long to expect of all the bearings.
I looked at the exploded diagram illustrating the linkage, bearings and other parts.

I hope you've got some patience and mechanical sympathy. It looks, "involving".

My Prime takes all of about 20 mins to pull apart and put together.

ozzybmx

The German bloke who does the YouTube vids with his blue Highlander, slipped in a little line on MTBR after swapping his 140 link to 150 link about its not a job you want to do before every other ride, looks like the BB shell has to be pressed out even to drop the linkage out :)

Interestingly he bought a 150 link and fitted it, reckons his Highlander had lost it 'pop' and feels too planted, has went back to 140 link.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I hope you've got some patience and mechanical sympathy. It looks, "involving".
Patience yes, mechanical sympathy er maybe? I removed a bearing from my Ripley with a Dremel because it wouldn't tap out without me worrying I'd take bits of the frame with it... lesson is don't leave them in there tooo long..

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The German bloke who does the YouTube vids with his blue Highlander, slipped in a little line on MTBR after swapping his 140 link to 150 link about its not a job you want to do before every other ride, looks like the BB shell has to be pressed out even to drop the linkage out :)

Interestingly he bought a 150 link and fitted it, reckons his Highlander had lost it 'pop' and feels too planted, has went back to 140 link.
I can understand that, it's actually what I love about it.

And if I want pop, I'll ride the Prime, or dial up the compression settings.

If the link was easier to install I'd be tempted to try it but happy to live in beautiful blissful ignorance for the moment.

Niconj on MTBR said the same IIRC, is that the rider you're thinking of?

ozzybmx

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think we've got the early adopter experience.

My invoice was digital, the owners manual I had to look for. The invisiframe did arrive in a carton thankfully, with the installation guide / instructions.
Same with the Kitsuma coil shock guide.

Rides so well I don't mind one bit.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Beauty ! I thought yous blokes had got it with your bikes... in nice cardboard roll with plastic caps on the end.
Nah the thing I got was a typed sheet of A4 paper - which reminds me, I should send it to you guys so you can join the facebook group if that's your thing.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Holy crap! makes the Druid look basic, I guess the Deviate is well sealed then!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0125/6816/6464/files/Druid_Exploded_View_V3.0.pdf?v=1616175175
That's one step more involved than the Prime. Made with about ten parts in total. Including the bolts.

I may have to spread out riding the Highlander and have NO winter slop riding.

Who am I kidding? I'm going to be riding it with a HUGE smile on my face. I'll strip it down when the time comes...