Designing a custom titanium road bike frame

Binaural

Eats Squid
So, I've discovered that my titanium bike has a large crack in the seatpost area, large enough to allow a little antiseize oil to leak through under pressure (the source of a heisencreak I've sought for months). Given the location, the chances of a successful repair would be pretty slim without wrecking the tolerances on the seatpost bore, and there is a faint line on the front that makes me think this might be a sheet join or similar, and hence prone to further issues.

If budget permitted I'd happily replace like for like as I love this frame dearly, but since I bought my last frame prices have risen for the same frame up to $5k. This has forced me to look further afield for options that might fit into my budget. This is complicated by the fact I have a 7ft wingspan, weigh over 110kg, and am hence heavy and tall enough that I usually have to check load ratings for things like wheels and seatposts before I buy them.

One of my friends got a custom titanium frame made by a Chinese manufacturer Waltly, which cost him about 1k landed. The downside was that he basically had to design the frame himself. Now, I am a mechatronics engineer by background and have access to the necessary CAD applications to design this, but unlike my friend I am much more likely to test the strength and flex properties of the frame to the max. I can copy the geometry of my current bike, so that much I am not too worried about.

Has anyone gone this route successfully? What kind of loads do frame designers use to model the necessary frame strength for a road bike? Does anyone else have some tips for making this work?

Binaural

Eats Squid
@Zaf that bike has some features remarkably similar to the one my mate got built. The plate arrangement used to create clearance from the bottom bracket is identical, right down to the placement of the cable guides. I'd bet that they use Waltly behind the scenes. They are really nice looking bikes!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
One of my friends got a custom titanium frame made by a Chinese manufacturer Waltly, which cost him about 1k landed. The downside was that he basically had to design the frame himself. Now, I am a mechatronics engineer by background and have access to the necessary CAD applications to design this, but unlike my friend I am much more likely to test the strength and flex properties of the frame to the max. I can copy the geometry of my current bike, so that much I am not too worried about.

Has anyone gone this route successfully? What kind of loads do frame designers use to model the necessary frame strength for a road bike? Does anyone else have some tips for making this work?
my mate got a hard tail off them, gave them the geometry of the hard tail bike he loved, happy customer

correct me if i’m wrong but Ti cannot be welded in the air, tubes need to be flooded with inert gas, eg argon as oxygen reacts with Ti

if i were your weight i’d be going good steel, cheaper & not that much heavier than ti, much easier for frame builders, quite a few mates have Ti cracked frames, tubes thin, need experienced welder equals more room for error. steel easily repaired (usually)

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
So, I've discovered that my titanium bike has a large crack in the seatpost area, large enough to allow a little antiseize oil to leak through under pressure (the source of a heisencreak I've sought for months). Given the location, the chances of a successful repair would be pretty slim without wrecking the tolerances on the seatpost bore, and there is a faint line on the front that makes me think this might be a sheet join or similar, and hence prone to further issues.

If budget permitted I'd happily replace like for like as I love this frame dearly, but since I bought my last frame prices have risen for the same frame up to $5k. This has forced me to look further afield for options that might fit into my budget. This is complicated by the fact I have a 7ft wingspan, weigh over 110kg, and am hence heavy and tall enough that I usually have to check load ratings for things like wheels and seatposts before I buy them.

Any pics of the failure location?

My Lynskey died at the seatpost/TT junction:

Posted her to Chattanooga Tennessee & she came back looking like this:

Seatpost dropped from 31.6mm to 27.2mm with a bonded internal shim.

Cost me postage, but warranty & all.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Any pics of the failure location?

My Lynskey died at the seatpost/TT junction:

Posted her to Chattanooga Tennessee & she came back look

Seatpost dropped from 31.6mm to 27.2mm with a bonded internal shim.

Cost me postage, but warranty & all.
how did they compensate you for all the extra weight of the shim? curious did it only cost you post 1 way? prob expensive enough going 1 way anyways

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
my mate got a hard tail off them, gave them the geometry of the hard tail bike he loved, happy customer

correct me if i’m wrong but Ti cannot be welded in the air, tubes need to be flooded with inert gas, eg argon as oxygen reacts with Ti

if i were your weight i’d be going good steel, cheaper & not that much heavier than ti, much easier for frame builders, quite a few mates have Ti cracked frames, tubes thin, need experienced welder equals more room for error. steel easily repaired (usually)
Lots of materials need shielding from oxygen when welding so that is no big deal but Ti is tricky to weld.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have a Pivot Valt CX/Gravel bike and a Cervelo R3 Disc roadie, getting around to selling them both and getting myself something more bikepacking and commuter.

The 2 bikes I have been looking seriously at are J Guilem Atalaya and Bearclaw Thunderhawk.

Still getting around to it...

Binaural

Eats Squid
So this story has a happy ending! I contacted the bike shop who sold me the bike (Velofix in Rozelle). After pointing out, reasonably enough, that 7 years meant the frame was out of warranty, and that the frame was unrepairable due to the location of the crack, he did me a killer deal. It turns out that when I got my frame custom made in 2012, they got two identical frames made! And they still had the second frame! It had been built up at some point for display but had not been ridden and has nothing but a few faint scuff marks, and only charged me half price to change over the running gear as well. Given a new frame would be $4-5k to design now, I was extremely happy with this outcome, especially when you factor in discs and new wheels and so forth.

Rode to work today, and the only thing that ever vexed me about that bike (creaking) is gone as the BB was constructed to the proper tolerances. Holy shit I am so happy. Shout out to Velofix for setting the standard for customer care!