Derby in Tassi

tobbogonist

a registered member
I saw that there is a sauna on the lake in Derby. That would be awesome in July. Not sure about the trails.
The cabin has a hot tub :) might be able to hit the sauna, jump in the lake then ride to the cabin and straight in the hot tub.

Reactions: LPG

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Haha good guess!
I can handle wet, I used to be able to handle beer.
I reckon it will be a win win.
Derby handles rain really well but the granite loses a bit of its grip... that 45° wall ride on 23 Stitches caught me out when it was damp a couple of months ago.
A two wheel slide on the granite then pogo'd over the bike and down the hill a bit.

Last edited:

tobbogonist

a registered member
Havnt had a proper ride since leaving Victoria. Very much aware I will be pogo'ing over the bike at least once, regardless of the available traction.
Mother in law just bought a property about 30 mins from derby, she has a converted house bus set up there, 2023/24 I am spending Christmas and all of January there, will get to experience it dry then.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Trails hold up really well through winter plenty of grip still and they close all the trails that can't cope mostly is only Blue Tier. Plenty of fun to be had still even if you just hire a bike. If you need a riding buddy hit me up only live 45 mins away.

tobbogonist

a registered member
That's what I wanted to hear :)
Also I probably will, haven't ridden with anyone else since my 2 riding buddies had kids. Still trying to get a dropper and wheelset back off one of them, he says the dropper makes it easy to for his wife to get on the bike and he likes the sound of the hubs..

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I have a cabin booked in Derby for 3 days mid July. Bunch of friends coming down for a birthday. None of them ride.
They just want a holiday.
How are the trails around July?
I've been in Tas 8 months and still haven't got there. Honestly.. aside from forestry tracks I havnt ridden anything in Tas yet.
I've stayed in the place with the outdoor wood fired hot tub, nice spot for sure.
As long as it isn't actually raining, Derbys riding it pretty good no matter what time of year.

clockworked

Like an orange
I have a cabin booked in Derby for 3 days mid July. Bunch of friends coming down for a birthday. None of them ride.
They just want a holiday.
How are the trails around July?
I've been in Tas 8 months and still haven't got there. Honestly.. aside from forestry tracks I havnt ridden anything in Tas yet.
Where are you living that you haven't ridden in 8 months?!

tobbogonist

a registered member
NW coast of Tasmania. Its more work life balance getting in the way. Working on a farm 12 hours a day, not much energy left for riding. Bikes been stripped down and put back together a few times though :)

rstim

Likes Dirt
Booked a 1 week trip with Escapegoat Adventures to Derby for the start of November. 3 in Derby, 1 Blue Tier/Atlas, 1 Blue Tier/BOF and 1 St Helens.

Looks like I'll get a little Derby fix this year after all :p
Hopefully have some new trails by then too, announced some new ones recently.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Booked a 1 week trip with Escapegoat Adventures to Derby for the start of November. 3 in Derby, 1 Blue Tier/Atlas, 1 Blue Tier/BOF and 1 St Helens.

Looks like I'll get a little Derby fix this year after all :p
Where's the dislike button?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Hopefully have some new trails by then too, announced some new ones recently.

Hazy Dayz !!! Thats pretty cool to name it after the young bloke who owned the crack house... which infamously went for 1.3m last year.

Have yous locals ridden Green Hornet in Railton ? Thats probably the best example of a green flow trail in the country. So much good shit in Tassie !

Stredda

Hazy Dayz !!! Thats pretty cool to name it after the young bloke who owned the crack house... which infamously went for 1.3m last year.

Have yous locals ridden Green Hornet in Railton ? Thats probably the best example of a green flow trail in the country. So much good shit in Tassie !
Sure have! Yes, I agree. The Teleport/Green Hornet loop is probably one of the best beginner loops in the state and it still entertains more advanced riders. Though I am pushing for a future addition of a more advanced return above Green Hornet, just to give the riders wanting to finish on more of a buzz more incentive to park and leave from Railton.
Hazy Dayz will definitely be a welcome addition to the network. As there are more families flocking to Derby, that also increases the more novice riders and of course they want to shuttle too and a fair whack go down Air Ya Garn and you get issues with the speed differences between the different levels of rider.

Cheka

Likes Bikes

Stayed 3 nights in Railton and my wife said Green Hornet was one of the best trails she has ridden, so much so that she kept asking to go back up for "one more run". It's trails like this that allow all abilities to ride together and enjoy the sport.

Cheka

Likes Bikes
Sure have! Yes, I agree. The Teleport/Green Hornet loop is probably one of the best beginner loops in the state and it still entertains more advanced riders. Though I am pushing for a future addition of a more advanced return above Green Hornet, just to give the riders wanting to finish on more of a buzz more incentive to park and leave from Railton.
Hazy Dayz will definitely be a welcome addition to the network. As there are more families flocking to Derby, that also increases the more novice riders and of course they want to shuttle too and a fair whack go down Air Ya Garn and you get issues with the speed differences between the different levels of rider.
You're obviously involved in the trail goodness at Wild Mersey Stredda, thanks for your efforts, we loved the network.
Sheffield Way was a bog when we were there in November, does it dry out or are there any plans to fix it up to allow easier access to the upper trails?
I also recall seeing a couple of trails being worked on at the top of Gnarvana, are they the Bonneys Tier trails still being constructed?

Stredda

You're obviously involved in the trail goodness at Wild Mersey Stredda, thanks for your efforts, we loved the network.
Sheffield Way was a bog when we were there in November, does it dry out or are there any plans to fix it up to allow easier access to the upper trails?
I also recall seeing a couple of trails being worked on at the top of Gnarvana, are they the Bonneys Tier trails still being constructed?
I pushed to get some trails, first at Latrobe back in 2013 and been working with the Latrobe and Kentish councils ever since. Pretty happy with how it all turned out.
Sheffield Way is all dried out now but will need so work to make it winter proof. It's just a shitty flat area with poor drainage. Raising the trail bed will help there.
There's 4 new trails that are almost ready to go above Gnarvana. A climb trail that takes up up to the already open Blue Tongue which then takes you further up to Kimberley's Lookout, the highest point of the Range. There's a blue descent that comes back off Blue Tongue not too much further up from where the climb meets Blue Tongue and it descends all the way back to the Gnarvana/Woodhooker junction (I may end up being names as two separate trails). Then there's a black that starts at almost the top of Blue Tongue and drops into the new blue descent with a shorter double black option. They will open in a couple of weeks time and we will get a sneak peek at them for the Tas Gravity round on the 4th of March.
Then there's the trail around the ridgeline above Echid'n Me (technically it's is still part of the Badgers Range not Bonneys tier), that's an adventure trail that will be around a 10km loop. There's parts that have to be hand built due to the steepness and the rock. This is under construction right now.
There's also a few special additions in the works as well that will get announced in the future.