Derby in Tassi

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Its the only place I know that closes trails for wet weather.

My first visit in 2016, we drove straight to Branxholm and my missus shuttled me to the top of Blue Tier, when I arrived in Derby I found out that Blue Tier had been closed for a week (December) and was still closed due to unseasonal rain, people were pissed that they could not ride it according to the shuttle companies but there were no actual council signs or info at Blue Tier for self shuttle folk.

Makes me wonder who actually makes these decisions.

BTW I am 100% in the dont ride wet trail camp, I actually dont ride even after rain, usually grab my gravel bike and avoid the mud and puddles.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Its the only place I know that closes trails for wet weather.

My first visit in 2016, we drove straight to Branxholm and my missus shuttled me to the top of Blue Tier, when I arrived in Derby I found out that Blue Tier had been closed for a week (December) and was still closed due to unseasonal rain, people were pissed that they could not ride it according to the shuttle companies but there were no actual council signs or info at Blue Tier for self shuttle folk.

Makes me wonder who actually makes these decisions.

BTW I am 100% in the dont ride wet trail camp, I actually dont ride even after rain, usually grab my gravel bike and avoid the mud and puddles.

View attachment 377913
Derby is not the only place in Tas that closes trails due to wet weather the 2 major trail networks in Launceston Kate Reed and Trevallyn are closed regularly. But the soil there doesn't handle the wet weather nearly as well as Derby. I've also seen trails closed in the St Helens network at times.

ozzybmx

Derby is not the only place in Tas that closes trails due to wet weather the 2 major trail networks in Launceston Kate Reed and Trevallyn are closed regularly. But the soil there doesn't handle the wet weather nearly as well as Derby. I've also seen trails closed in the St Helens network at times.
I cant think of anywhere I have been that closes for wet, only high risk fire days.

St Helens was closed just before we arrived in 2019 due to fire risk.

@rstim who make the decision, is it council or shuttle operators... strange they dont put out signage for private shuttlers.

rstim

Likes Dirt
I cant think of anywhere I have been that closes for wet, only high risk fire days.

St Helens was closed just before we arrived in 2019 due to fire risk.

@rstim who make the decision, is it council or shuttle operators... strange they dont put out signage for private shuttlers.
It would be the decision of the council work the trail maintenance team making the decision I would guess. The head guy Pete was involved with the initial construction of the network so knows the place very well.
I would assume with all the Covid stuff going on and pretty much all borders into Tas closed none of the shuttle operators would have big group bookings which it would effect. Also Vertigo is shut for July/August in Derby. So it's really only to stop Tasmanians riding maybe give them a chance to get on top of some maintenance.
I can't remember ever seeing the whole trail network closed only certain trails there was always somewhere to ride and most of the trails handle water really well.

ozzybmx

I've talked to Pete a coupe of times, always a happy bloke and very dedicated to his job... does awesome work too.

Yes a bit of a downtime during winter and especially now with the shit going on.

Also I have never seen the whole trail network closed either. There was a warning yesterday about the Cascade river flooded and unable to cross so they have maybe made the call to keep everyone safe. That water would be bloody cold anyway o_O

rstim

Likes Dirt
Forecast for the next week is rain every day so the trails will be very wet for sure especially with the dam running over the spillways.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I've talked to Pete a coupe of times, always a happy bloke and very dedicated to his job... does awesome work too.

Yes a bit of a downtime during winter and especially now with the shit going on.

Also I have never seen the whole trail network closed either. There was a warning yesterday about the Cascade river flooded and unable to cross so they have maybe made the call to keep everyone safe. That water would be bloody cold anyway o_O
It would be the first time that the whole network has closed. They have had a whole lot of rain up in the north east over the past few weeks. And yes, it would be the council maintenance team that would make the call to close any trails.

The good thing about Tasmania now though, is that there are far more options if something like this happens.
St Helens does have the occasional trail closure but would be a good option at the moment. The Wild Mersey trails are all open, along with the trails around Hobart and the Meehan Range. The Mt Owen trails officially open this weekend too.
Come summer George Town will be up and operational as well as the additional Wild Mersey trails, so there will be even more choices:D

ozzybmx

Come summer George Town will be up and operational as well as the additional Wild Mersey trails, so there will be even more choices:D
That's what we are going to do next trip, only a few days in Derby, more in St Helens, George town, Mersey, Queenstown and a day or 2 at Maydena.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode for a few days last August after a week or so of rain. Rained the whole time I was there as well. They are doing the right thing The trail were getting worked over. Didn't effect the grip on the granite. Or ability to scratch as my elbow found out.
Stredda is correct; plenty of riding down south. I was out for about 2 hours yesterday before work riding between Glenorchy MBT Park and Junction Cabin. Trails nice and tacky, if not dry.

Stredda

I rode for a few days last August after a week or so of rain. Rained the whole time I was there as well. They are doing the right thing The trail were getting worked over. Didn't effect the grip on the granite. Or ability to scratch as my elbow found out.
Stredda is correct; plenty of riding down south. I was out for about 2 hours yesterday before work riding between Glenorchy MBT Park and Junction Cabin. Trails nice and tacky, if not dry.
Derby is usually pretty good when wet. I've ridden it just after solid rain and it's been fine, the granite soil drains pretty well.
Just think that they have had so much without much of a break for a few months, that the ground can't soak up any more.

ozzybmx

We must have the same travel agent mate!
We have spent over 30 full days in Derby since 2016, while is awesome and we could go to Tassie without 3-4 days there, I want to ride all the trails in St Helens and Queenstown, also give Wild Mersey and George Town a good go. Cant really go all that way without at least 1 full day at Maydena either ;)

ozzybmx

Dont miss Penguin / Iron Tor....
We've rode Penguin a few times... have an old vid too.

Kids had new 27.5 bikes at home and I was on my pub bike (10kg lighter too :rolleyes:... me not the bike) as we were travelling around Tassie on our first trip.

Damn kids have gotten a little bit better too :p

Stredda

Still hoping everything doesn't go to custard and we get there in early September....
Should be right by then. We just have had an unusually solid wet few weeks, especially in the northeast of the state. If we get a few dry days in a row next week, that should be enough for the trails to recover.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Should be right by then. We just have had an unusually solid wet few weeks, especially in the northeast of the state. If we get a few dry days in a row next week, that should be enough for the trails to recover.
Certainly looking forward to it. And the wine. And cheese. And everything else...