Derby in Tassi

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have found memories of crank cafe. First trip to Derby I couldn't ride due to an injury, and spent most days there. Great food, vibe, and service. All the best!
They were nice people, we always went there to meet up... I have a bit of a dislike to all things Vertigo but that's another story.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Crank 'it' Cafe gone. It was my missus go-to coffee stop as they were really friendly.

Sad to hear but the land is probably worth more than fighting the Derby struggle.

Its a nice building too.

View attachment 374400
Not sure if true but I did hear rumours of a distillery/brewery going in there after the crank it lease ran out. Was a good spot to go for food after a ride so am sure it will be missed.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
They were absolutely heaving in there on the weekend just gone. Great people and a shame as a really awesome setup with space for bikes around. A brewery sounds not unattractive though...

teK--

Eats Squid
What they really need is a good restaurant/takeaway that is open in the evening. Plenty of lunch and brekky options not enough for dinner.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crank 'it' Cafe gone. It was my missus go-to coffee stop as they were really friendly.

Sad to hear but the land is probably worth more than fighting the Derby struggle.

Its a nice building too.

View attachment 374400
Shame it's not the pub in the flaking, white painted building closer to the trail head. Went in there looking for a meal with a mate about 2 years ago. Just got a serve...on how the evil mountain bikers and their minions were changing the town. I guess she liked the grinding poverty that those who stayed after the mining faded were enjoying. We went to the other pub, which had been bought some people from Sydney, I think. The place was packed and now requires booking in advance to get a table. I still don't understand the attitude. The place still looks like a dumpster waiting for a match.

ozzybmx

Will be interesting to see how things go over the next few years with more and more spots opening up in Tassie and the outside investment dollars disappearing from Derby.
The only thing that Derby has over the others is 4 full time employed trail workers from World Trail, paid for by Dorset Council.

You can throw millions at a place and build nice trail, keeping it nice and adding new trail is something else.

ozzybmx

Shame it's not the pub in the flaking, white painted building closer to the trail head. Went in there looking for a meal with a mate about 2 years ago. Just got a serve...on how the evil mountain bikers and their minions were changing the town. I guess she liked the grinding poverty that those who stayed after the mining faded were enjoying. We went to the other pub, which had been bought some people from Sydney, I think. The place was packed and now requires booking in advance to get a table. I still don't understand the attitude. The place still looks like a dumpster waiting for a match.
Virginia ! She's an interesting character :p

I reckon everyone that goes in there, comes out after 1 beer with bleeding ears, she cant help herself. She hates what the council and MTBers have done to the town, then goes on to tell you its nothing personal.

An avid member of the Thylacine Society, she brought out a box and produced a plaster cast tiger footprint that was cast after a tiger sighting 12 years earlier out near Strathgordon.
I'm a bit of a believer that there are still Thylacines out there so it felt a bit strange to touch the footprint.

Last edited:

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
An avid member of the Thylacine Society, she brought big box out and pulled a plaster cast tiger footprint that was cast after a tiger sighting 12 years earlier out near Strathgordon.
I'm a bit of a believer that there are still Thylacines out there so it felt a bit strange to touch the footprint.
I keep an eye on this too, the area is certainly a 'hotspot' along with Adelaide.

ozzybmx

I keep an eye on this too, the area is certainly a 'hotspot' along with Adelaide.
Great ! I enjoy solo night rides in Belair NP, knowing that its only old skippy crunching sticks and leaves in the bushes beside me. Now mauled by an extinct carnivorous marsupial :rolleyes:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
There's going to be a distillery at the place near the lake on the Valley Ponds trail that goes between Derby and Branxholm and I think the owners of this place will be taking over the lease of the Crank It Cafe and have their retail outlet there.
I also heard rumor that they want to build a new trail off Kingswall and down onto the back of their property and the you return via Valley Ponds:p

Attachments

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Virginia ! She's an interesting character :p

I reckon everyone that goes in there, comes out after 1 beer with bleeding ears, she cant help herself. She hates what the council and MTBers have done to the town, then goes on to tell you its nothing personal.

An avid member of the Thylacine Society, she brought out a box and produced a plaster cast tiger footprint that was cast after a tiger sighting 12 years earlier out near Strathgordon.
So tempted now to see her in September..... Did I mention September? September....................