Derby in Tassi

binner

Hath shat hymself
pedal gouge in concrete , look for it

I'm really good at manualing down the main street turning into the post office coming down the hill hitting the wet grass and then proceeding to slide into the toilet block, crashing through the ballstrading that is non existent literally scaring the shit out of people in the dunny. The only fall I took all week..........

i love Derby!!!! so happy to see Buck has a shop front and doesn't make his missus do the sales from the gutter :kev:

EMF

Eats Squid
cobra snake for a neck tie

I'm really good at manualing down the main street turning into the post office coming down the hill hitting the wet grass and then proceeding to slide into the toilet block, crashing through the ballstrading that is non existent literally scaring the shit out of people in the dunny. The only fall I took all week..........

i love Derby!!!! so happy to see Buck has a shop front and doesn't make his missus do the sales from the gutter :kev:
We all luv Darby

If the snakes didn't get you the toilet block did mofo :tape2:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
branxholm is ideal for camping! definitely my preferred spot even if it means driving into derby each day..

blue tiers is still slightly wet but rideable unless the trail gets closed..definitely worth of the ride..

instead of hitting up atlas id suggest exploring the new trails around the black stump trail head...all are accessible via devil wolf or commercial shuttle (private vehicles no longer allowed)
Thanks for that, might just do that then as I dont have a lot of time.

Wet ? Damn... forgot I was heading from 30°C and dry to a cool temperate climate.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I was quite surprised how grippy the granite is, even when wet, had to change my lines to use it for grip when possible.
Some of the most grippy rock around though I'd hate to slide down it on bare skin, think cheese grater lol

ozzybmx

Question for you's locals, on the morning we leave Launceston we are calling past Hollybank and im getting dropped off at the top of the descent https://www.strava.com/segments/8314887, is it worth the visit... or straight to Derby ?

BTW if I had the time, I would ride up all the trails but being short on time, I figured it would be better to take in the descents only.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Question for you's locals, on the morning we leave Launceston we are calling past Hollybank and im getting dropped off at the top of the descent https://www.strava.com/segments/8314887, is it worth the visit... or straight to Derby ?

BTW if I had the time, I would ride up all the trails but being short on time, I figured it would be better to take in the descents only.
Yeah definately worth getting dropped at the top of juggernaut if your going past, will only take you roughly an hour with the shuttle to the top. Fun riding and alot different to Derby.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

Yeah definately worth getting dropped at the top of juggernaut if your going past, will only take you roughly an hour with the shuttle to the top. Fun riding and alot different to Derby.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Awesome ! Just negotiated/justified an extra night at Branxholm, so the missus and kids are doing the treetop adventure at Hollybank, I'm getting a shuttle up Juggernaut then will join them, then over to Derby with no rush.

That means the whole next day will be in Derby.

datnat

Likes Dirt
Hey Tubeless I actually work at the Launceston airport as a firefighter, but grew up on a dairy farm on the way to Derby.
Ha, used to spend some time at the cousins dairy farm between Derby and Winnaleah back in the day, have fond memories of the Derby River Derby and exploring the abandoned mine shafts. Who would have thought it would become a world class MTB destination!
Nothing seemed to have changed much when I visited earlier in the year for a taste of the trails. Good to see MTB is having a seemingly positive impact on the area.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I missed a couple of opportunities to travel over to Derbster. I hope it lives up to all this hype for when I do make it one day!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Just booked a couple of shuttles with Buck for February. My brother also booked a Stumpy FSR 29er rental.
So pumped now...... Blue tier on Saturday and Black stumps on Sunday!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

marc.r

Likes Dirt
I think i might be able to eek out 2 days ridding the week after the EWS is in town (say hello blown out tracks).

any regulars or experienced derby riders give some advice on

1. accommodation - looking at weldborough hotel - we will have a car with us so thinking of driving into Derby, renting bikes each day.
2. best bang for buck in terms of what trails we should hit up over 2 days ridding.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Weldborough is the pub and nothing else
Branxholm was good, pub decent, 5 min from derby.
Pretty much what mofo said. Blue teir am and atlas pm you should have time for a loop of the lower trails after you get back to derby
Black stump day 2. Ask buck or Josh what is good and what to watch out for

ozzybmx

Derby is frickin awesome. I was on my "pub bike" stuck in 32:17 SS as the shifter broke an internal piece at Hollybank.
Missus shuttled me to the top of Blue Tier, then I met them at Weldborough pub for a couple of local ales... then rode Atlas with my 2 boys (10 & 11).
Next day she shuttled us to the top of 'return to sender' for a run then again to the top of 'flickety sticks upper'. Awesome place... that flickety sticks upper onto flickety sticks is unreal. Return to sender also a beautiful trail... and the Blue Tier top with the berms on Big Chook that you could loose a 4WD in while the massive rainforest ferns brush your face. Awesome ! I'll be back.

moorey

call me Mia
I'll be back there for just one day, shuttling atlas and blue tier with my boy on the 14th Feb. Tad stoked :behindsofa:

rstim

Likes Dirt
I'll be back there for just one day, shuttling atlas and blue tier with my boy on the 14th Feb. Tad stoked :behindsofa:
Finish with a lap down Return to sender too really finish the day off, so lucky I live close by! Taking a mate from NSW for a blue tier / Atlas ride tomorrow