Derailleur confusion

Chamelion

Likes Dirt

The specs tell me the obvious stuff like the 5120 being 10 and 11 speed compatible whilst the 6000 is 10 only.

What has me confused is that the 6000 is about 50% more than the price of the 5120 and I can't work out why.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Externally the m6000 is GS or medium cage and best suited to a max cassette cog of 42t. The m5120 is SGS or long cage and best suited to a max cassette cog of 46t. The latter is also pretty agricultural in appearance and might not be to everyone's tastes.
The internal tech is different with the m6000 having dynasys, and shadow+ while the m5120 has just shadow+.

What does it mean? Not a whole lot to us mere mortals with finite funds.
What bike are you wanting to put it on and with what range cassette?

As an owner of one of the m5120 derailleurs, it's fine for a gumby like me. I bought two, one for me and one for my husband. My derailleur started creaking after a few rides, so I swapped it with hubs, no problems now :D
(I did try re-greasing the clutch internals but it never quite solved the issue)

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
Externally the m6000 is GS or medium cage and best suited to a max cassette cog of 42t. The m5120 is SGS or long cage and best suited to a max cassette cog of 46t. The latter is also pretty agricultural in appearance and might not be to everyone's tastes.
The internal tech is different with the m6000 having dynasys, and shadow+ while the m5120 has just shadow+.

As an owner of one of the m5120 derailleurs, it's fine for a gumby like me. I bought two, one for me and one for my husband. My derailleur started creaking after a few rides, so I swapped it with hubs, no problems now :D
(I did try re-greasing the clutch internals but it never quite solved the issue)
So my bike is a polygon/aldi special and came with the 6000. Chasing a poor shifting problem (which turned out to not be the derailleur) I replaced it with a 5120.

Might sound stupid, but I don't like the idea of downgrading my bike, even though it's just my commuter/family ride hack - and I do love the stupid thing. So I'm wondering if I should leave the 5120 on, or put the 6000 back on.

Pretty sure my cassette is just an 11-42.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

M6000-series is available with both medium (GS) and long (SGS) cages. Both will fit a 46T big sprocket, however the shorter cage version can't take up all the chain slack when on the small rear sprocket, hence the official max. 42T.... Additionally, Shimano didn't offer a 10-sp. cassette with larger than 42T during M6000's production run, so that's also why its officially rated max is "only" 42T.

The 5100-series is good for up to a 51T rear sprocket, but making it fit that big can negatively affect shifting across smaller big gears, as the gap between sprocket & top jockey wheel gets bigger, allowing more chain flex, reducing shift slickness.

"Dynasis" isn't any techonogical wizardry, it is simply Shimano's wanky mucketing title for MTB 10-sp. running gear. By extension, the 11-sp. stuff got the equally pointless "Dynasis11" tag....