Product Review Deity Components from Lusty Industries

Many a bike lands on the shop floor with a pretty darn fancy spec nowadays. Some are priced to sell with good frames and kind of okay components. Whichever mountain bike you plan to buy or currently have underneath you; you can always treat yourself to a cockpit upgrade to sweeten the deal. With so many choices for components though, it can be a lengthy exercise. Shorten that list though and don’t look past Deity Components, distributed in Australia by Lusty Industries and available at your local and your online stores.

I’ve had so many bikes that I’ve upgraded the components to Deity and that was the end of the upgrade, I never changed the gear after that. The range is vast; apparel, handlebars, grips, stems, pedals, saddles, you name it, Deity will probably have a version you can bolt onto your bike. For this review though, we’re looking at some Deity bars, a stem and a saddle.

The Deity Racepoint aluminium DH handlebar is tested by Deity to find it’s breaking point. They say it is way above the industry standard and we can only win that kind of research in the hope we never get to a point where our gear breaks. The Racepoint I’m using is a 35mm bar designed for downhill and endure style riding. I’m running the 38mm rise, 810mm wide with a 9 degree bend and the slight upsweep of 5 degrees. What does that mean? You’re sitting on your bike looking forward at your bars and theres a slight curve where it runs perpendicular to your frame, thats the 9 degree bend. The upsweep? Look at the front of the bike and you’ll see the bars aren’t flat but have a gradual angled rise from the center, that’s the upsweep. Why is it important though? Well, it’s all about comfort for you which translates to control. There’s no definitive science that says one measurement is better than the next, it’s up to you to find what suits you and as with all of Deity’s handlebars; you’ve got all sorts options of bar length, bar sweep, bar material and what colour you want it in to totally customise the finish of your bike. I’m stoked on the black ano finish and the almost stealth graphics, it’ll go with anything! Looks aside though, this handlebar with this geometry is perfect for me and has added a genuine improvement to my riding. The bars are 330 grams and you’re backed by a two year warranty. Recommended retail on these bars is $134.95.

A trend that is apparent nowadays is stems with a low stack and not much rise. You couple that strength with a handlebar that has your dimensions and you’re sorted. I paired my bars to the Deity Copperhead stem, black of course! I was tempted to go all out on the colours and that bronze that is available? Wow, someone get on that! I’m running the 35mm clamp 50mm long. This stem slides onto a 1 1/8” steerer with a low stack height of 33mm. It is an anodised stem but is polished; hence the almost gloss look. I wasn’t sure this finish would work with the ano bars but geez it kicks butt, looks unreal. The graphics are a lasered stealth that you can feel how precise it is when you run your fingers over it, really well finished product. Its a CNC machined aluminium and only weighs 161 grams, lighter than I expected. The typical four bolt pattern bolts this guy to your bars. Recommended retail on this stem is $159.95.

You can’t run a saddle that doesn’t suit your bike, just don’t even try it. Deity run a set of colours that is matching over their component range so you’ll never feel like the odd guy in the line up. Sticking with the stealth theme, the Deity Speedtrap saddle is a hollow CR-MO rail with a mid density foam underneath a synthetic cover and kevlar sides to stop it tearing. It’s only 240 grams! I’m not a weight fiend but this thing felt light when I unboxed it. Its comfy too, there’s no one position you need to stick to and can move around on the saddle without feeling as though one spot is the sweet spot. I did notice the seat sides were forgiving when I’m steaming up a hill and reading into it I found it boasts what Deity call a D2 edge flex which provides a softer edge to help in those times you’re pushing hard sitting down. The saddle is actually more comfortable than some of the dearer saddles I’ve run and surprisingly cheap in comparison. Recommended retail is only $109.95. Again, we all win with Deity’s pricing of their vast range and affordability but above all else; it’s top level components that you can trust. Treat yourself!
Check out the full Deity Components range here

There’s a good chance you’ve heard of or seen Lusty Industries on the trails. They’re a NSW based action sports distributor for a ton of renowned brands. Like all good companies with strong values, these guys started small and have become a renowned supporter of snow, surf, skate, bicycles, motorsport and anything relating to adventuring. The guys behind the doors of the Newcastle base of operations know their stuff and pass on some premium products and knowledge to us lucky folks. Take any chance you get to say G’day to one of the team at any race you get along to, they’re great people that back our scene and love doing what we all do.

Last edited:

Comments

Running same bar/stem 20mm rise on a new Megatower build.
Pretty happy so far.
Had to trim them down, was too wide for me.