Dealing with injury risk

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon it’s always how quickly you stop that causes the serious injuries. Ragdolling down a trail without hitting anything vs slamming into a tree/ground and stopping instantly is a very different crash.. Even a slow speed otb into rocks will have a very different outcome than sliding down a slope.. There is definitely an art to crashing well though. Usually related to age i find. Older you get the more you go down like a bag shit..

Flow-Rider

Burner
I reckon it’s always how quickly you stop that causes the serious injuries. Ragdolling down a trail without hitting anything vs slamming into a tree/ground and stopping instantly is a very different crash.. Even a slow speed otb into rocks will have a very different outcome than sliding down a slope.. There is definitely an art to crashing well though. Usually related to age i find. Older you get the more you go down like a bag shit..
The thing that scares me with high speed impacts is that your head swings like a pendulum and hits hard.

Life works in reverse sometimes, they tell you to exercise and stretch when you're young and healthy at school, but you should be doing it more often when you're older.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
The thing that scares me with high speed impacts is that your head swings like a pendulum and hits hard.

Life works in reverse sometimes, they tell you to exercise and stretch when you're young and healthy at school, but you should be doing it more often when you're older.
Yes and no, exercise and stretching when you're young and healthy keeps you young and healthy later in life!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yes and no, exercise and stretching when you're young and healthy keeps you young and healthy later in life!
Most people in their youth are pretty active, no motorised transport, plenty of time to play social sports but all that changes when you're older. I used to do 50~100 push-ups without even thinking when I was a teen, I'd be in trouble if I could do more than 20 these days.

HamboCairns

Most people in their youth are pretty active, no motorised transport, plenty of time to play social sports but all that changes when you're older. I used to do 50~100 push-ups without even thinking when I was a teen, I'd be in trouble if I could do more than 20 these days.
You're fitter and stronger than I ever was then!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I think i might start wearing my knee pads... I'm still flinching going over rocks - this post crash confidence deficit is getting boring.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I've had at least two OTB stacks where I've literally leapfrogged off the bike and hit the ground running! Front wheel has hooked a rut or something & flicked the bike up, and completely on reflex I've unclipped (I'm XC remember, cleats all the way!) & kicked the legs out and shoved the bar back & under the Sensitive Bits to land on my feet. The kind of stunt you'd never pull off if you consciously tried to do it. :p

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I've had at least two OTB stacks where I've literally leapfrogged off the bike and hit the ground running! Front wheel has hooked a rut or something & flicked the bike up, and completely on reflex I've unclipped (I'm XC remember, cleats all the way!) & kicked the legs out and shoved the bar back & under the Sensitive Bits to land on my feet. The kind of stunt you'd never pull off if you consciously tried to do it. :p
This man knows how to crash in style!

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Pretty much describe what happened to me. Pretty unexciting crash, but basically stopped dead on the ground folded in half. Two broken thoracic vertebrae, some ribs, clavicle, AC joint. Six weeks in a thoracic brace, three months off work, six months off the bike. All of that with a 7 week old baby at home when I crashed.

Certainly gave me food for thought with a young baby at home. I'm back riding heaps now, and I'm really enjoying pushing myself with some endurance events. This year have done the 100km Otway, two 50km races and a 3 day 150km stage race. I'll never be as fast as I was before the crash, but I'm getting a different sort of satisfaction out of pushing myself from a fitness perspective.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Sometimes you feel like doing it, sometimes you don't.
Thread closed.

Well almost. Focus, I agree it's utmost.

Then know the trail and your ability before you go hard.

Combine feeling it, focus, knowing ability and trail, and you are highly unlikely to bin it.

The rest is luck. Driving your car is more likely to kill or maim you if luck is not on your side so I never consider luck when riding. I'd lose focus if I did.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm still undecided about getting knee pads. Elbow pads would have been more useful based on my last crash!
I dont know why, but I consider knees more important than elbows. I guess the thought of not being able to walk, and that if you do land on them its usually heavy impact.

Had a little indescression this morning, upper shin took full brunt of my fall straight onto a log running down the side of the trail. Pretty sore as is, cant imagine what the outcome of no pad would have been.

HamboCairns

I dont know why, but I consider knees more important than elbows. I guess the thought of not being able to walk, and that if you do land on them its usually heavy impact.

Had a little indescression this morning, upper shin took full brunt of my fall straight onto a log running down the side of the trail. Pretty sore as is, cant imagine what the outcome of no pad would have been.
So you have shin pads too?