Dealing with injury risk

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Just found out a couple of weeks ago that my Life/TPD insurer excludes MTB. Apparently for everyone. It's the standard one with AusSuper.
Needless to say - I'm looking for a new insurer.
MTB still appears to be covered by my super provided insurer, I did end up with exclusions on my extended policy last time I changed it, but MTB wasn't on the exclusions list...

Flow-Rider

Burner
To be clearer (given you sound like you're in the same super boat...) I increased my policy value and the exclusion is for the extra cover. But they told me over the phone they exclude MTB for everyone. So if you have default cover level it may be ok. But if you have increased cover, it may not be. YMMV. Best to call them and check.

I know right? Also interesting they confirmed that cycling to work (commuting) was covered. I tried explaining that in my mind I'm more likely to get hit by a car while commuting than come off while riding through the bush, but the actuary didn't care. The numbers say otherwise apparently.
I wonder if it's less likely that they can recoup the payout from a third party insurer in the bush ?

indica

Serial flasher
Anyone else struggled with this? Mtbing has been a part of my life for most of it and I’m struggling with the risk/reward at this point.
That is fucking crap mate. Tried doctor shopping?
I guess part of the problem will be that niggle that makes you hesitate that can be dangerous.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Once upon a time I did that early roadie thing in Melb.. Still plenty of suburban drivers off their tits after a night out and don’t want to pay for an uber/taxi... Had a couple of close calls with ice heads looking for aggro.. Agree still better than riding once the nouces get up.
Early mornings up the Dandenong's are still nice, just got to be out of there before the tourists turn up.
Except for the time I was almost flattened by a runaway truck at the bottom of devils elbow! Guess that can't happen during MTB.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
ihave just emailled them
Yeah, my later comment clarified a bit - I extended my policy, they asked me a bunch of questions when applying for the extra coverage. Then they excluded MTB from the extended part of the policy. It's written in a letter they sent me. On the phone, the reo said that they exclude MTB for everyone. I asked 'what if I didn't disclose it, and then later on I took up mountain biking or sky-diving...'. He said I should disclose it to them at that time. Like that ever happens?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
For focus, I'm sure many of us have been cruising along a flat section of trail and clipped the pedals before going OTB.. right?
My last crash, just hooted down a gravity trail, few jumps and corners at hurty speed, on the flat bit at the bottom, dropped the left pedal and turned around to see if we had lost anybody... BOOM massive pedal strike and head over shit into garden of rock daggers doing about 15-20kph. Absolutely nothing but a scuff on my side and a hole in my new fekking jersey.
It was incredible that I didn't land on any of those sharp shale rocks that were growing out of the ground, that was a 1% crash for sure.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm 50+, I will not submit an edit on Pinkbike or IG / YT and absolutely don't need to prove / validate anything. Live to ride another day as @moorey put it are words to live by.

Sometimes you feel like doing it, sometimes you don't. I no longer wish to force it.
+1, same here and agree on all accounts. I've love to hit the gnar and go big and but bending myself up badly would make life more complicated.
Short travel bikes also give you good excuse not to plan road gaps. My only road gap is hopping down the gutter.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I suppose I'm in a similar boat to others here. The older I get, the more responsibilities I have, and the more reality hits home that if something happens, it wouldn't just affect my life, but my families' too. I used to be into old VWs, but now I find myself even wondering whether its foolish owning any car without airbags and where the doors are made from 2 pieces of sheet metal and whether the cost of buying a newer car is just the price you pay for the chance you might survive a crash).
I don't ride nearly as much as I used to (probably something to do with working a physical job and having kids) but I have found my enjoyment in riding shifting to being content exploring dirt roads and firetrails, as opposed to blasting through trees and sending it.
The lifestyle I've chosen to live means I need to not be injured to provide for my family. I need to cut firewood to heat my home, be able to tend my veggie garden, and fish and hunt, and it also means I have much less time for hobbies that aren't related to directly providing for my family. I know there is risk in everything, and its not a conscious choice I've made not to ride jumps tracks or DH anymore, but there has definitely been a shift in my interests and consideration for my role as a fully functioning human in others' lives.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Also NEVER say “last run”.
Saying “second last run” and having a snigger is fine but once those words “last run” come out of your mouth that’s it. Pack it up and roll down the fire trail back to the car.