Dealing with injury risk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I only hope to be as fit and healthy as my dad at that age, something to look up to for both me and my two kids.

This was him last year on his Scott Genius at age 70, yes that's Hero trail at Bright lol, which he also rode up to from Bright before following us down at his pace. In the spirit of this thread, he very much rode it to his own accepted risk level :)
K'oath !

That's awesome. I hope to be like your old man in 20yrs :)

My boys will be 35 in 20yrs, hopefully we have a couple of 10yr old shredder grand kids too :D

Granda will probably still be paying for their bikes.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Coming from a past life as a roadie, I've never been keen on letting my wheels get too far from the ground, and I love the sharp handling of a tight, steep XC rig; slack-headed sleds feel lifeless to me. Agility brings a reduced margin for error, and some bits of where I ride are pushing the margin at the best of times...

Anyway, at mid-40s I know I'm not as bouncy as I used to be, so I'm becoming even more cautious than I was. Additionally, the severe lockdowns in Melbourne last year hit me hard both physically and psychologically. With limited scope for riding, I lost motivation to ride, and the resulting substantial decrease in bike time has caused the skill level to drop as well - I know I'm even more of a gumby than I was before, and that in itself hurts a bit.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Coming from a past life as a roadie, I've never been keen on letting my wheels get too far from the ground, and I love the sharp handling of a tight, steep XC rig; slack-headed sleds feel lifeless to me. Agility brings a reduced margin for error, and some bits of where I ride are pushing the margin at the best of times...

Anyway, at mid-40s I know I'm not as bouncy as I used to be, so I'm becoming even more cautious than I was. Additionally, the severe lockdowns in Melbourne last year hit me hard both physically and psychologically. With limited scope for riding, I lost motivation to ride, and the resulting substantial decrease in bike time has caused the skill level to drop as well - I know I'm even more of a gumby than I was before, and that in itself hurts a bit.
I get where you're coming from but I find the front end only becomes vague when I become fatigued.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I have calmed down a fair bit after the last few crashes. Ride the road bike a lot more these days and go figure last year I copped a rear ending from a car. Gravel biking is kind of where most folks land although I still try to get out mtb once a fortnight to sharpen the skills. These days not afraid to tackle a tough tricky section, but speed is generally where i draw the line. Having said that had a mate who clip stacked and bruised his pelvis, out for a month. I find I crash a lot more when ego gets the best of me and usually it's some piss easy feature I've cleared a million times but just overcooked.

Anyway not sure what my point is. There are risks everywhere and I guess you are best placed to judge how you manage or avoid them.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Soo... I can send it down whistler while smoking crack and I am covered?
yeaaaaahhh naaaahh , I would advise against any evidence of intoxication, whilst riding/skiing/snowboarding/etc... instant LOL + NO from any insurance company.

Minlak

custom titis
Anyway, at mid-40s I know I'm not as bouncy as I used to be, so I'm becoming even more cautious than I was.
Not that I advocate testing for yourself - I am 50 and whilst I certainly didn’t bounce I am amazed at how little damage I actually did to myself - I put it down to progressively crashing faster and faster and building up a resistance. Maybe the key is taking more risks not less :)

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Not that I advocate testing for yourself - I am 50 and whilst I certainly didn’t bounce I am amazed at how little damage I actually did to myself - I put it down to progressively crashing faster and faster and building up a resistance. Maybe the key is taking more risks not less
Sometimes when you are relaxed and flowing you are riding harder and faster but it all stitches together. Then other days you feel off and stumbling all over the place. Some big stacks you come off relatively good, others a small pebble sends you to the ER. Hard to predict but there is truth that some people just 'fall better' than others. I think some folks sieze up and makes it worse, others just let their body be a rag doll and come out with a few cuts and bruises.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
but there is truth that some people just 'fall better' than others. I think some folks sieze up and makes it worse, others just let their body be a rag doll and come out with a few cuts and bruises.
There's definitely something in that. I've had enough hard hits to know when to fight it, and which body parts to try and land on.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sometimes when you are relaxed and flowing you are riding harder and faster but it all stitches together. Then other days you feel off and stumbling all over the place. Some big stacks you come off relatively good, others a small pebble sends you to the ER. Hard to predict but there is truth that some people just 'fall better' than others. I think some folks sieze up and makes it worse, others just let their body be a rag doll and come out with a few cuts and bruises.
A mate of mine hit Hero at Bright, he's ridden it loads of times.

He's first, I'm behind him at a respectable distance. He overcooks it in the woods (after the jump line) and is ragdolling.

Splits the Proframe helmet and is 30mtrs away from his shoes. He fell that fast.

He gets up, and didn't have any injuries. Just popped up like the cockroach in Wall-E.

The odd cut and scrape for sure but no actual injuries. I thought we'd have to carry him out of there.

Some people really do just know how to fall.

Jpez

Down on the left!
A mate of mine hit Hero at Bright, he's ridden it loads of times.

He's first, I'm behind him at a respectable distance. He overcooks it in the woods (after the jump line) and is ragdolling.

Splits the Proframe helmet and is 30mtrs away from his shoes. He fell that fast.

He gets up, and didn't have any injuries. Just popped up like the cockroach in Wall-E.

The odd cut and scrape for sure but no actual injuries. I thought we'd have to carry him out of there.

I’m not saying I’ve got any special abilities or anything but I’ve had some doozy stacks where I’ve thought as the world is spinning around that this is it I’m fucked only to find myself landing on my feet or rolling into a sitting up position and patting myself down to find myself mostly ok. I think somehow I fall well and get out of serious trouble most of the time. Of course if go shoulder or head first into a tree or the ground I’m going to be in a world of hurt but falling well has a lot to do with it. I rode BMX when I was a kid and fell of all the time. I think my body learned a few lessons.
And those pro frames. Ive seen em break. I’ve heard lots stories of them breaking and people coming out alright. I'm pretty happy to use one on my head.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Totally agree. If, and it is a big 'if', then let go of the bike and try to save yourself. I've seen somewhere that falling the right way to avoid a busted collarbones by rolling helps if you are talented enough to crash with style.

Of course, all of this happens in a split second and the terrain might not always be on your side either and the feeling of 'Oh #$%@' usually has its way.