Dealing with injury risk

Flow-Rider

Burner
I suppose I'm in a similar boat to others here. The older I get, the more responsibilities I have, and the more reality hits home that if something happens, it wouldn't just affect my life, but my families' too. I used to be into old VWs, but now I find myself even wondering whether its foolish owning any car without airbags and where the doors are made from 2 pieces of sheet metal and whether the cost of buying a newer car is just the price you pay for the chance you might survive a crash).
I don't ride nearly as much as I used to (probably something to do with working a physical job and having kids) but I have found my enjoyment in riding shifting to being content exploring dirt roads and firetrails, as opposed to blasting through trees and sending it.
The lifestyle I've chosen to live means I need to not be injured to provide for my family. I need to cut firewood to heat my home, be able to tend my veggie garden, and fish and hunt, and it also means I have much less time for hobbies that aren't related to directly providing for my family. I know there is risk in everything, and its not a conscious choice I've made not to ride jumps tracks or DH anymore, but there has definitely been a shift in my interests and consideration for my role as a fully functioning human in others' lives.
When I was in my teens I was supposed to do a road trip with friends but instead broke my leg and decided not to go, they continued in their quest but along the way they rolled a HQ Holden 6 times, 3 times front over back and 3 times sides ways, I can still remember seeing photo's of the car and the roof looked like a tent but all 3 occupants survived. The bloke in the back ended up with lacerations to his arm from a gettoblaster smashing into pieces and rolling around in the car when it overturned but other than that they were all well.

Also NEVER say “last run”.
Saying “second last run” and having a snigger is fine but once those words “last run” come out of your mouth that’s it. Pack it up and roll down the fire trail back to the car.
I said that the other week to myself as I was climbing back up to the trailhead, when I got to the top there were 3 kids and a Dad and I let them go before me, waited a while and took off, get to the first switch back in the trail and here's one of these kids holding his arm lying on the ground. :oops:

moorey

call me Mia
I’m not superstitious...have never had ‘last run blues’..(just hexed myself) but 100% get that others have a hang up with it. Much like race plate #13. I could’ve GAF.
I either refer to it as ‘another run’ or if I’m shutting the kids, I say at the start how long we’ll be there roughly, and then just pull the pin unannounced at the bottom. Felix hates the last run thing, but really only because others go on about it. Quinn isn’t the slightest bit fazed.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
When I was in my teens I was supposed to do a road trip with friends but instead broke my leg and decided not to go, they continued in their quest but along the way they rolled a HQ Holden 6 times, 3 times front over back and 3 times sides ways, I can still remember seeing photo's of the car and the roof looked like a tent but all 3 occupants survived. The bloke in the back ended up with lacerations to his arm from a gettoblaster smashing into pieces and rolling around in the car when it overturned but other than that they were all well.

I said that the other week to myself as I was climbing back up to the trailhead, when I got to the top there were 3 kids and a Dad and I let them go before me, waited a while and took off, get to the first switch back in the trail and here's one of these kids holding his arm lying on the ground. :oops:
I was in a vehicle roll over in my teens with a mate. Nothing reckless about the driving (seems unusual I know for P platers)
Hit a pothole on a corner that shredded the front tyre instantly in an old L300 mitso van. Went over 3 times and the van resembled a trapezoid afterwards. I was sitting in the front with the window down and my shoulder got gravel rash from hitting the road surface during one of the rolls. when we landed back on the wheels sitting there stunned suddenly heard hissing from the rear and had to kick out the remnants of the front window to get out. Hissing turned out to be another tyre deflating but we panicked as my mate was a fridgy (ax mechanic) and there was all different gas gear in the back.

Biggest impact I’ve been in including Mtb crashes and something that stuck with me for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I 99% of the time ride alone and in the forest - lucky to see any other riders for a few hours
Ride and if an off occurs - may never be found
I.m cautious but not a full nanny ( Nancy ? @ozzybmx )

As you age , different realisations come to you - i was never a big jumper - and now they terrify me ,break a bone and it will take an age to heal - let alone the inconvenience .
And the offsider telling me - 'i told you so '

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As you age , different realisations come to you - i was never a big jumper - and now they terrify me
jokes on you lot. I've always been to scared to get far enough off the ground to hurt myself much. nice flowing trails in the trees is my space. now watch me run straight into one.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I chickened out of a few features I normally enjoy tackling but it more to do with feeling a bit unfit and worrying I wouldn't have the focus.

Ironically I took on the rooty drop that I used to pull the brakes up on!

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Rooty drop!!!!

I love turning right onto that black trail at the bottom of pipeline and faking, that is well hectic in there.
Do you know the one I mean? It drops and you immediately turn right at the metal gate to ride uphill to MP39. It used to freak me out all the time! Dropper posts have changed everything though.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m the opposite, all serious crashes have happened either at high speed, on jumps/features or steep chutes. Seemed to have avoided the jra accidents so far..