Dartmoor HT experience

Brow

Big Block
I am looking into building up a HT trail oriented to replace my XC HT (will be relegated to bikepath/gravel pedalling duties).
I have my eye on a Dartmoor Hornet but the Dartmoor Primal also looks good. Will be running 140-160mm forks. Hornet is a bit slacker that Primal but really good price and I do not think I will really notice the different geo with my old man riding ability.
Has anyone ridden either or both?

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
My husband rides a Hornet. He has Lyriks set to 150mm travel on it. Absolutely loves it, super fun and capable. He tried a large frame first but didn't like it, went to a medium and it was love at first ride.
He usually rides blue and the occasional black trails.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Good evening... Yep, a Hornet is a good choice. The only reason I got rid of mine was it was on the small side.

They're a great price and tough as nails. Good local support too from Casey at Bikes By Ascension.

This was my rig. I'm also running a Dartmoor Blackbird at the moment as well.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
having ridden a no of HT, most SS, i don’t think 66 Ha of the primal will b that big of a disadvantage, 64 will feel slightly more capable/confidence in spiring on really rough stuff, but 66 will b fine, only when you go upward of about 67.5 do i start to notice a bit of difference, i ride mine of the macedon trails where descents are 15-20 deg down, get a dropper and either will b great

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have a Primal 29er, running 130mm fork. It's a very decent ride, I'm a bit of an old man but like to get a bit of air, Trail more than XC riding. It has that Al harshness so I keep it for smoother trails. Will stick at least a 140mm fork on it when I get around to it

Brow

Big Block
Thanks for the replies. I will be staying with 27.5 wheels so all my bikes will be the same.

@Labcanary How tall is your Husband? I am thinking med as my med XC is a good fit and this will be just a bit longer and slacker for trail duty.

@wkkie What travel fork did you have on yours?

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Plenty of hornets out there, never had one come back for warranty. Had people racing downhill on them and all sorts. Also owned one personally and had no quams. Casey has a good sale a few times a year, otherwise slam69 and 26bikes do well. 26B pickup stock so overheads are stuff all. One under rated brand honestly. I have huge respect for Andy and the team behind the scenes-the brand always did the right thing by me. Normally had either vengeance or metrics bolted up front. My partner still annoyed that I sold my roots, bloody light dh bike that I could pedal up Youies on.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I've got a Dartmoor Primal29, it's a pretty damn fun ride. Mostly gets used for Wee-Ride duties at the moment. It's setup with a 140mm Fox 34 and LB 27mm rims, Minion DHF/SS combo, but is always a fun option for when the trail isn't too rowdy.

Only downside (for me) is the IS headset, means I can't slacken it out at all. An extra degree would make it even more fun.

With that said, I've got my eye on the new-ish TorrentHT, mainly for the Steel factor.