Dartmoor Hornet

nathanm

Eats Squid
Few updates with some minor issues slowing things down.
Purchased a 160mm Pike from a young fella who said it was as new. Fork arrived with a tiny mark on the stanchion but a pretty decent gouge in the lowers. Negotiated a price reduction so happy enough with it at $300. The steerer is a little short and only had room for a 10mm spacer which I'm fearing will leave the bars too low.
Added a stem and saddle and rear wheel.
Went to fit the rear wheel to find 2x3mm washers. Turns out it's a 2020 not 2017 so is boost spacing, so back on the hunt for a wheelset and a new crankset thats boost compatible.
Should be a nice rig when finished though.

PJO

in me vL comy
Few updates with some minor issues slowing things down.
Purchased a 160mm Pike from a young fella who said it was as new. Fork arrived with a tiny mark on the stanchion but a pretty decent gouge in the lowers. Negotiated a price reduction so happy enough with it at $300. The steerer is a little short and only had room for a 10mm spacer which I'm fearing will leave the bars too low.
Added a stem and saddle and rear wheel.
Went to fit the rear wheel to find 2x3mm washers. Turns out it's a 2020 not 2017 so is boost spacing, so back on the hunt for a wheelset and a new crankset thats boost compatible.
Should be a nice rig when finished though.

View attachment 391758
Don't worry about finding a different crankset, I've run standard cranksets on boost frames without issue, as long as the chainring clears your golden.

nathanm

Eats Squid
The Dartmoor is finally complete and was certainly a project.

It was originally intended to be flipped for a few dollars but I ended up going down the Rabbit Hole yet again.

I bought the frame for $300 which included 200mm Brand-X dropper, Raceface cranks and BB, Renthal bars and dartmoor grips plus Shimano 10 Speed Shifter, derailleur and chain.

I picked up some used Pike forks for $300 and bought a headset, stem and seat from Wiggle.

A mate hooked me up with some Giant OEM plus sized wheels plus SRAM NX shifter and derailleur plus some new plus sized tyres all for free (hooked him up with some nice wine to say thanks).

With only $700 spent at that stage I dropped $90 on some new Deore cranks to get a more boost friendly driveline and fitted everything to find the NX derailleur malfunctioning so off to the LBS.

Luckily it was just sticky pivots requiring lubrication and in that time frame I impulse bought some shimano deore 4 pot brakes with irritatingly mismatched levers which a very generous burner is fixing for me.

So all up the build has cost around $1k with some leftover brakes and drivetrain.

Went to test ride today and it pissed with rain of course.

Screenshot_20220904-184009_Gallery.jpg

Frame - 2020 Dartmoor Hornet
Front shock/fork - Rockshox Pike
Handlebars - Renthal Fatbars 780mm
Stem - Nukeproof 45mm
Headset - Brand-X
Grips - Dartmoor
Saddle - Nukeproof Neuron
Seatpost - Brand X ascend 200mm dropper
Front brake - Shimano Deore 4 pot
Rear brake - Shimano Deore 4 pot
Cranks - Shimano Deore
Chain - Sram
Pedals - Shimano Clipless
Rear derailleur - SRAM NX
Rear shifter - SRAM NX
Cassette - SRAM 11-42
Wheels - Giant OEM
Tyres - Minion DHF/DHR 2.8 DD
Tubes -no
Total weight - looking at around 15kgs

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
The Dartmoor is finally complete and was certainly a project.

It was originally intended to be flipped for a few dollars but I ended up going down the Rabbit Hole yet again.

I bought the frame for $300 which included 200mm Brand-X dropper, Raceface cranks and BB, Renthal bars and dartmoor grips plus Shimano 10 Speed Shifter, derailleur and chain.

I picked up some used Pike forks for $300 and bought a headset, stem and seat from Wiggle.

A mate hooked me up with some Giant OEM plus sized wheels plus SRAM NX shifter and derailleur plus some new plus sized tyres all for free (hooked him up with some nice wine to say thanks).

With only $700 spent at that stage I dropped $90 on some new Deore cranks to get a more boost friendly driveline and fitted everything to find the NX derailleur malfunctioning so off to the LBS.

Luckily it was just sticky pivots requiring lubrication and in that time frame I impulse bought some shimano deore 4 pot brakes with irritatingly mismatched levers which a very generous burner is fixing for me.

So all up the build has cost around $1k with some leftover brakes and drivetrain.

Went to test ride today and it pissed with rain of course.

View attachment 392570

Frame - 2020 Dartmoor Hornet
Front shock/fork - Rockshox Pike
Handlebars - Renthal Fatbars 780mm
Stem - Nukeproof 45mm
Headset - Brand-X
Grips - Dartmoor
Saddle - Nukeproof Neuron
Seatpost - Brand X ascend 200mm dropper
Front brake - Shimano Deore 4 pot
Rear brake - Shimano Deore 4 pot
Cranks - Shimano Deore
Chain - Sram
Pedals - Shimano Clipless
Rear derailleur - SRAM NX
Rear shifter - SRAM NX
Cassette - SRAM 11-42
Wheels - Giant OEM
Tyres - Minion DHF/DHR 2.8 DD
Tubes -no
Total weight - looking at around 15kgs
Hey Nath...bit of a thread dig, but wondering how the hornet goes with a slightly more calorie enhanced pilot at the helm?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Hey Nath...bit of a thread dig, but wondering how the hornet goes with a slightly more calorie enhanced pilot at the helm?
Can confirm they're built tough. I ran one as my only bike for quite a while and was probably around the 105-110kg mark at the time. Took the punishment well!

nathanm

Eats Squid
Can't tell you too much unfortunately as I sold it not long after building it as I preferred the torrent. Absolutely solid rig though and would highly recommend.