Dandenong Ranges Newbie

MHz

Squid
G’Day,

Just saying hello!

My background is I’m a mid 40s recreational rider, getting back into riding flow type singletrack after some years of disruption due to young kids. Still on my 2001 Iron Horse hardtail (when I can’t cadge someone else’s better bike to borrow) as I wait for the Merida Big Trail 600 29er hardtail I have on order to arrive (March they tell me - ordered October last year).

Living in the Dandenongs, so the Silvan trails are my local (when they not totally obliterated.) I should get there to help, but the last 6 months have been flat out cleaning up trees on my own block!

Cheers,
Tim

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Welcome @MHz. :)

Merida make a nice hardtail and the new Big Trails look like a very versatile and capable bike.

Chuck up a pic of the Iron Horse in the meantime!

MHz

Squid
@beeb here is a picture of the old girl on holidays on the NSW south coast this year.

Changes over the years include an upgrade from the original Deore 3x9 to SRAM X9/X0 3x9 when that was cheap due to the change to 2x10 about 10 years ago. (Which backfired not long after as the RD was damaged shipping to the US and I could then only source an X3 RD to replace it - still rocking that downgrade! Also had to get the rear derailleur hanger straightened.) Also the original Manitou Magnum fork got replaced a couple of years ago with a Manitou R7 fork as the elastomers in the old one were well gone and sourcing replacements was 50% cost of a new fork. Rear wheel rebuilt once after broken spokes about 5 years in, and new BB and headset bearings recently. And a more comfortable Brooks Saddle from its time as a commuter bike. The double sided BBB flat / SPD pedals are now flogged out too.

It is still very comfortable on cross country trails, and the steel frame has held up well. But having hired a full carbon dualie for a weekend at Marysville last year I decided an upgrade was required. And given I couldn’t get budgetary approval for a good spec dualie, I decided a top spec hardtail* would do the job (reinforced by some rides on my wife’s Roscoe 7 when I can sneak a go!).

*well, top spec for mass market bikes, not including low volume or custom built hardtails.

Last edited: