Da Bomb Cr8??

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
I have been looking around for a hardtail to replece my dualy for awhile now, i thought i had found a nicely priced cro-mo, but after reading the reviewws on it ( http://future-edge.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15895 )
it kind of did change my mind, just wondering if any one else here has rideing one and if they are as bad as it mentions?
btw.. i will be rideing street, park, dirt jumping stuff with a bit of trials here and there....
and eyah also wodnering if there is a MTB BB option availbe becuase i know there is a horizontal and vertical drop-out option?

josh_lives_here

Likes Dirt
personally i dont like cr8's ...they feel and look like an absolute peice of crap IMO it would be better to save more money and get a better frame like a chase, 243, one on or something like that....and if u want to run singlespeed get horrizontal dropouts

TREK24

Likes Dirt
I've had my CR8 for bout 10 months now and absolutely love it. I was talking to Bill at DHD a while ago and he made the comment that everyone that owns one loves it, those that don't hate them. I use mine to ride everything from urban to downhill, even some xc and uphill (god forbid) and it does everything well. set it up on 24's and a short fork and the geometry is nice and twitchy, put a 26 in the front and it's remarkably rideable for downhill.
I have the BMX BB with the horizontal dropouts, but the MTB BB model only comes with vertical dropouts. As for it looking like a piece of shit, as far as i'm concerned they look just as good as any other similar hardtail frame around (243 etc). If you're that worried about the way they ride, ask around and see if you can hook up a ride on one, only way to make up your mind.
my 2 cents.

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont like them. the stays feel superlong, the top tube is super short, foot hit wheels on x-ups, yad yada yada.

they are also super heavy and (i hate saying this) youd prolly be better off with a .243 (ARRRGHHHH!!!!!)

or if you have the moola, get yerself a minuteman. steel, lighter, good geo and really tough.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
id say an xlr8, i got one and its cool, but you have to spec it well and have an adjustable seat! other than that id say kona, i rode a few and i loved them all

sparky_12

Likes Dirt
I just got a cr8 but the bike shop is bulding it up on Monday. Every one is complaining about the chainstay, ive got a gt avalance 03 model and that compared to cr8's chainstaies difference is about 3 cm, mot much

mike&nat

Likes Bikes and Dirt
IMO i think CR8s are sick and i recon they are like 243s. but i dont think they are. but for urban and DJ and stuff i recon it would be sick

sawtell

mike&nat said:
IMO i think CR8s are sick and i recon they are like 243s. but i dont think they are.
i do not quite get what you mean, by you think they are like it but not? i didnt not think they would be that bad, plus there a cheaper altternative over any cromo frame out there... plus not really worried about looks..
thnas for your contributions guys

sawtell

sawtell said:
mike&nat said:
IMO i think CR8s are sick and i recon they are like 243s. but i dont think they are.
i do not quite get what you mean, by you think they are like it but not? i did not think they would be that bad i was just worried about the wheel hitting foot factor becaus ei will be running 26 inche wheels, plus there a cheaper altternative over any cromo frame out there... plus not really worried about looks..

mike&nat

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sawtell said:
mike&nat said:
i do not quite get what you mean, by you think they are like it but not? i didnt not think they would be that bad, plus there a cheaper altternative over any cromo frame out there... plus not really worried about looks..
like they are both cromo ad small like bmx bikes but the 243 is better made and stronger and better some how

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sparky_12 said:
I just got a cr8 but the bike shop is bulding it up on Monday. Every one is complaining about the chainstay, ive got a gt avalance 03 model and that compared to cr8's chainstaies difference is about 3 cm, mot much
When you are talking about chainstays 3cm is alot of difference.

mtngoat

Banned
mine is way cool, sweet, springy(strangely) responsive, imo shits on .243 but only cause ive got a cr8, oh and dont really like .243

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a cr8 only has an mtb (euro) bottom bracket

besides, you can get press fit cups to run mtb BB's on BMX BB frames.

binner

Hath shat hymself
I ride a molotov and a guy who hooked up on a ride with us a while ago has a CR8 and he thinks its the best hardtail he's ever had , as far as looks yeah pretty average but they hold up to a beating ..... hey Bill, what you doin on here ,you should be postin my gear up to brisvegas not chattin online........ :lol:

TREK24

Likes Dirt
roasted said:
a cr8 only has an mtb (euro) bottom bracket

besides, you can get press fit cups to run mtb BB's on BMX BB frames.
CR8s come in either BMX or MTB BB. the bmx has horizontal dropouts, the MTB has vertical dropouts