Da Bomb Cr8??

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
as i said, a cr8, not a cr8 bmx.

two completely different bikes

i dont think i could bring myself to trust a street frames that appears to take cues from a bmx flatland frame (cr8bmx), and that a buddy has broken.

Ryan

Radministrator
sparky_12 said:
ive got a gt avalance 03 model and that compared to cr8's chainstaies difference is about 3 cm, mot much
Ooops. Was that your credibility that just flew out the window mate?

IMO the CR8BMX we tested, (not the CR8, the CR8BMX) would never find a place in my stable of bikes. The geometry will feel deeply and irrevocably borked to most people unless they're coming from a BMX background and like riding short top tubes already.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
your local da bomb dealing bike shop, should have one, i can not remeber any of it from the top of my head sorry..

blitzem

Likes Dirt
hey sawtell, pm a-line, he just finished building his, at the beginning i wasnt sure that i liked it but when i rode it, i changed y mind, looks good and rides better

TREK24

Likes Dirt
For Archi
Geo is:

CR8 MTB
• Top Tube........sm 21" med 21.6"
• Head Tube.......105MM
• Seat tube.......sm 15.5" med 16.75"
• Head tube ang....71 deg
• Seat tube ang....72deg
• Seat post size...27.2mm
• BB size..........68mm
• Wheel Base.......sm 41.3" med 42"
• Chainstays.......17"
• weight...........3kg
• Dropouts.........forged Vertical

CR8 BMX
• Sizes........13" and 15”
• Top Tube.....21”/ 21”
• Down Tube....25.8" / 26.4"
• Head Tube....105mm
• Seat tube....13.2" / 15.75"
• Head tube angle...71deg.
• Seat tube angle...72deg.
• Seat post size....27.2mm
• B/bracket.........68mm BMX
• Wheel Base........41" / 42"
• Front-center......24" / 25"
• Chainstay.........17"
• Dropouts.......Horizontal

Asides from lengths, angles are the same for both BMX and MTB frames

sawtell

thanks for that TREK24..lol
is 21" short for a top tube yeah? i dont know much about what good geometry is, unless i ride it for a while? and 17" fairly long for chain stays?

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well considering (acording to floody) that banshee scream stays are 17, yes, they are ridiculoulsy long for a hardtail.

to recap: geometry is weird. short top tube, long stays, shit to x-up or barspin.

sawtell

i spose it isnt the best bike then, considering iw ill be mainly buying it for jumping... any one know any shops in melbourne area that might have a built up one?

wombat

Lives in a hole
sawtell said:
is 21" short for a top tube yeah? i dont know much about what good geometry is, unless i ride it for a while? and 17" fairly long for chain stays?
For a little perspective, my DMR (from memory) has a 21.5" TT and a 16.25" CS, and I find that stay to be too long for me; I'd prefer something in the 15.5 - 16 range. As for the top tube, well my feet foul on the wheel just turning, let alone during an X-up....

Den-Den

Likes Bikes
If you want a fuck off heavy HT then sure go down the road of something like a .243. If you want I sensibly weighted bike that you can build up pretty burly, and one that is kind on your pocket then go the CR8. Had mine built up for a month now and I love it. It's plenty of bike with great geometry (none of the super short loopy chainstay stuff) and it's pretty much perfect as an Urban assault/DJ weapon if thats what you want to be doing. Sure the decals are pretty gay but just rip em off and go stealth style. Lets face it at the price and style of riding you wanna do your not going to going back to the shop and asking for a warranty on the frame! Am six ft, riding a sml frame size(15") and it rocks!

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you want short stays on a street bike. easier to manual, hop etc.

and if your riding tech street, good luck doing barspins without moving your feet bakc onto the pedals first (fuck that)

Den-Den

Likes Bikes
roasted said:
you want short stays on a street bike. easier to manual, hop etc.

and if your riding tech street, good luck doing barspins without moving your feet bakc onto the pedals first (fuck that)
Yeah yeah, I personally don't think it's as big of a deal as it's being made out to be. Hear what you're saying, but when you're talking about a bike with a 15" top tube then it's going to be a tiny bike any way you try to look at it- it's not like we're comparing apples with oranges here. I stand by my original statement. Unless you're (the prospective buyer) a 12yo grommet that is built like a blade of straw.

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
actually, it is.

I know this from experience, having ridden my mates one many a time.

The top tube would be longer if it had shorter stays, and it wouldnt feel half as retarded.

last time i checked the rrp for da-bomb freames was 699. (not the DHD specials btw)
a .243 is 699 too, but also has better geo, and rides lighter and easier than you might think.
A dabomb is no easier on your pocket.

Den-Den

Likes Bikes
$699 huh? I stand corrected on the economics of it then- sounds like I may have just found a good deal on mine.
Was offered a .243 to ride for a couple days, built up with Firefly's, Dice twosix's w Onyx hubs, Azonic Shorty stem w matching DW 1.5" rise bars, Hussefelt cranks and twin roller and bashy and Azonic A frame pedals. So its wasn't a ridiculous build by any means, it felt as strong as nails but just found it to be a bit of a slug that's all. Went for a late night city prowl on it and some dirt sessions at the local DJ's and I dunno, the bike and I just didn't click. It was funny too, because I was so certain it was what I wanted and almost willed to be the best HT I'd ever own if I were going to ride one. The perks of having a friend has a built up frame that I could test ride before buying :wink:

Out of curiousity, what's the weight on the .243 frame :?:

sawtell

roasted said:
last time i checked the rrp for da-bomb freames was 699. .
are we all talking about the same frame here, i thought the Da-bomb Cr8's rrp was 299? i may be wrong.. every else you are saying sounds right through the geo does sound pretty wak