Crash Pics Thread

teK--

Eats Squid
Had a fall yesterday arvo and broke collar bone :( (worst injury since riding)

Was meant to be going Tas for MTB trip in late Nov but will have to cancel now :(
That's shit, sorry to hear mate.

I did mine about 12 weeks out from my first Tassie trip.

Ended up getting it screwed back together, and decided to go on the trip anyway (without my bike). By that time I was cleared to start rehab, so I spent the days hanging around at the house doing light exercises, chilling at the local cafe, and took the car out to visit the local areas one day.

The shit part was seeing everyone getting home all stoked after a sweet day of riding though.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Had a fall yesterday arvo and broke collar bone :( (worst injury since riding)

Was meant to be going Tas for MTB trip in late Nov but will have to cancel now :(
Sorry to hear mate! As others have said though, the collarbone is one of the better recovery prospects. I was back mobile in three weeks, and back on the bike fully at 6 weeks.

My elbow however (see above), is now 12 weeks and while I'm back on the bike, everything is weak as well hydrated piss, and painful after 5 or 6 km of trail.

So keep your options open, as late November might be rideable for you!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Sorry to hear mate! As others have said though, the collarbone is one of the better recovery prospects. I was back mobile in three weeks, and back on the bike fully at 6 weeks.

My elbow however (see above), is now 12 weeks and while I'm back on the bike, everything is weak as well hydrated piss, and painful after 5 or 6 km of trail.

Yeah, any joint break sucks. I've done my Talus bone in my ankle and a scaphoid in my hand, and both were over 8 weeks in a cast and then a whole lot of physio afterwards. My ankle still pinches and folds on me unexpectedly.

slowmick

38-39"
I dislocated my shoulder in my 40s. The general consensus seemed to be I would have been better off breaking a bone as it would have healed quicker than the soft tissue. Let's hope you a good at growing new bones.

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
Isildur is on the money I think. Depends on how you are feeling, if your confidence is out the window you might not enjoy the trip anyway but see how you go. The surgery sucks but you can start physio a bit earlier. Heal up!

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Friends: Beware the Dead Sailor :oops:
A couple of years old, but this stack ended his riding for ever.
Not entirely sure what happened here, Landed steeply nose first then went OTB (??)
what did he do wrong that we could learn from and try to avoid?

WARNING to the people who complain about anything triggering them. Poor bastard isn't moving afterward, you don't see him bc POV. looks like he Piledrove his head and neck into the hardpack trail and was out cold.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Was he wearing a neck brace? Would that have even prevented the back break?
NFI. We have had that argument on this forum from Jared the maths guy. IIRC, @Mywifesirrational had looked into the 'research' of Leatt, but certainly at the time it was inconclusive, at best. For motorsport and MX, wearing a brace is probably a really good idea.

I was more interested in the guy's landing. from what I could see, he landed at way too steep an angle, nose wheelied for a second, then that front wheel washed out and game over.

TBH, My jumps 'technique' is total shite, I know that, and I have also gleaned that landing rear wheel first is a fkg bad idea, throwing me forward when the front wheel slaps down and the fork dives. That or numpty takeoffs kicking my rear wheel too high, because I compressed the rear wrong, or didn't lift the front enough etc
Piledriving the dirt is probably my worst fear, so I tend to stay away from tabletops and kickers, which do look like there is much stoke to be had.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I never gave compression and rebound much of a thought until a few years ago, just after I got the Hightower LT with a CC DB Coil on it. First lippy jump the back end of the bike bucked me forward like a springy pogo stick and created a 3-4m nose wheelie down a rocky trail doing about 20kph.

Shitty pants moment :oops: It all happened in an instant but I was glad when the back wheel came back down.

Now I spend a bit of time getting the rebound and compression right. A base setting can be done using the kerb rebound method but a few tweaks from there gets it a happy medium for smooth take offs. I can still get a bit of pop by preloading but on a normal take off my bikes are quite flat in the front and rear and always less pressure than others seem to run, so a bit more speed is needed to clear some gaps.

Following others down a trail like Air-Ya-Garn made me aware who has pop and who has a more stable compression and rebound. You definitely lose some of the lively feel but the safer and more predictable nature is better for us oldies who cant afford a crash.